1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

14 months baby..do not eat solids if not smashed

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by chandoba, Sep 23, 2010.

1. chandoba

chandoba New IL'ite

Hello Dear Moms,

so here is my worry...
    my cutie pie, Riya, going to be 14 months in a week, do not eat solid if it is not properly smashed, and it has to be kind of semi-solid state (little bit watery).
    I am worried about when is she going to start eating normal solid, as I see other kids of her age do it. I try to give biscuits, pieces of roti, some things like Poha, etc. She only takes one very small bite and then she starts playing with it, that too for 2 min, and then runs away from that food :(. she do not get interest in eating the solid food at all.
    i started trying this solid stuff when she was 8 or 9 months old. not sure if i started late? or its just her very stubborn..
    when i started solid, i didnt use the grinder but used to use the baby food miller, which do not give the fine texure as grinder, so i dont think that my habit of using food miller made her like this?
    sometimes when i want give her roti, i make very watery curry/soup and grind with roti, then give her :( else she doesnt eat..she happily sleeps without eating anything :(
    please suggest ..how and what are the good options to make her eat solids....
    thank you very much.

Minal

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Minal,
    Does she have proper teeth formed??
    May be her littel gums are hurt if the food is in solid state.
    Just wait and continue your semi solid state.

3. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Minal,

I too share the same concern...my DD who is 16months too takes everything thoroughly smashed and she rarely chews....she just swallows....i too am worried regarding when she'll start chewing. She teethed very late and even now she has just 4....3 upper and one lower.
    Does this have anything to do with teething.
    Experienced mommas please help!

4. chandoba

chandoba New IL'ite

Hi Priya and Sri,

thanks for your reply,
    she has got 8 teeths long back..she had 4 when she was 8 months..
    but she do not use then for chewing :) just want to swallow everything..
    even i personally want to wait and continue with the semi solid food, but feel worried when someone brings the concern about her not eating solids..like at her daycare etc
    please advise.

thanks,
    minal

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

minal, I also see that your baby has allergy issues. I think there is some reflux/texture issues at hand. I would talk to the paed about texture preference straight away and not wait. Baby Feeding Problems

6. Sumaticg

Sumaticg Senior IL'ite

Hey

Check if she chews any biscut or chips . Cos my DD was the same till 18 months my grnadmam will insist me to smash it and give telling she will develop once she get her back teeth. Now she is fine she eats all food finger foods even carrot without smashing she is now 23 months.

7. chandoba

chandoba New IL'ite

Hi Sumati, thanks..i am feeling good after hearing that there are some more kids like my badmash. i hope she starts eating the solids soon. she doesnt eat biscits etc e.g food that she cant swallow without chewing :)..
    she eats rice flakes, small pieces of pasta etc which is not very difficult to chew..
    she has got 8 teeths for quite some time now..she had got it early than usually kids get it..but still the issue.
    anyways..my major concern is, as she eat in smashed form, i am sure she wont know the actual taste/texure of food..and she wont get used to the actual food's taste ..

thanks to all ..