1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

14 month old sleeping more & not gaining weight

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Reesha, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

My 14 month boy was sleeping for 3-5 hours on day time when summer starts. night time also...he slept for 9 hours long minimum with 4-5 breaks for water/mother milk. is it normal? due to long rest time, he seems to be not taking proper food quantity for his age per day...he is not gaining weight from his 9th month on wards. maintaining 10 KG only...i have increased food quantity & milk content. but no use. still he looks very slim. but he is active in playing so on...

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Reesha, waking up 4-5 times in a 9 hour sleep is waking up every 2 hours basically. Is that what is happening?

It generally depends on the kids but most kids are weaned from night time feeds by the time they turn 1 year. have you tried weaning him off?

can you please also give us the daily food/sleep routine for him?
    Usually, kids take about 2 naps at this age.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The weight gain drops once baby turns 1 year. If he is active and healthy, then weight gain should not be a concern.

What you have mentioned about his sleep pattern seems normal. Both my kids followed similar pattern.

He might not be eating well due to teething. Or it could just be a phase.

4. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

no. i didn't tried to wean him in night times because i am working woman. so i have weaned on day time. what ever time my body provides milk to him, let him enjoy...

his daily routine is like this...
    7AM: wake up
    8AM: 60ml of milk
    9AM-10.30AM: breakfast(2 idly/ 2 dosa)
    11AM: bath then nap time until 2.30PM
    2.30PM-4PM: lunch time
    4PM-5PM: play time
    5PM-5.30PM: snak time
    5.30PM-7PM: nap time
    7PM-7.30PM: play time
    7.30-9PM: dinner
    9PM-9.30: bath & play time
    9.30-10PM: swing& sleep time

he is slow eater. running around house...all time so taking 1.5 hours to complete his bowl.

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Reesha your schedule looks good. He is napping only twice a day and that's really needed for him . My DS is 14 months and has now come down to 2 naps from 3 naps. His Naps have become shorter too. I don't see any problem in your DS schedule. my DS weight is kind of stagnant too after 12 month check up. I am not worried as that's normal. as long as baby is active , eating and sleeping well then that's good.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Reesha, schedule seems OK to me. Only thing I would do is to start to slowly wean him.
    Actually mine followed a slightly different schedule. She used to wake up at 7 and used to be down by 10 AM. Then wake up at 11 AM...sleep at 2 PM to 3 PM. And off to bed by 8 PM for the night. Slowly around age around 18 months, the schedule changed to one nap for 2 hours between 11 and 1 PM. Sleep time still starts at 8 PM.

1 person likes this.
  7. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Waking up during the night is common for some kids, u just need to hang in there. By DS was the same till 9 1/2 months, and started sleeping with minimal waking after he weaned himself.

Regrading his feeding, try to reduce the feeding time by not running around him, and encourage him to eat at one place like high chair and involve him in eating with figure foods.
    Initially he might eat less but once he realizes that he has to eat in that chair he will complete it.