1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

14 month old babies receipes

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by catherine26, Jan 10, 2016.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

My son is 1 year and 2 month old. Now adays he became very fussy eater spitting food often.. Can anyone give different receipes idea.. And how to transfer from breastfeeding to bottle feeding

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Catherine,

My son is also 14 months old. Somehow from the past 10-15 days he became very fussy.. He wants only food that is sweet no savory, bitterness, etc. I'm also looking for recipes..

To transfer from breastfeeding, give milk in sippy cup/bottle/tumbler. try to avoid adding sugar. Also you can do slowly decrease the time of breastfeeding. If you are feeding for 10 mins each side, make it to 9 mins for 1 week, then 8 mins next week.. Like that try..

3. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

After a year of age, its better to use a sippy cup/straw cup instead of a bottle. If goal is to gradually wean from the breast, start by replacing one nursing session with milk in a cup. He might not drink it all and would still want to nurse but you can gradually shorten the sessions until it gets replaced.

As for the food, I would say that on a regular basis its better to offer the baby the same food as the family eats (modified of course so its not as spicy if you tend to cook spicy food) as long as its healthy and balanced. If it becomes a practice to keep making separate food for the child, it encourages more pickiness that could continue even if the child is 5-6 years old.

Toddlers like variety so offer different foods and if they refuse something one day doesn't mean that they have taken a permanent dislike to the item. Its supposed to take them multiple exposures to like some foods sometimes so try it again in a week or so. My 16 month old would act like he hates eggs for weeks then suddenly he is fine with it. He also does not like to eat the same kind of thing more than 2 days in a row. So I rotate what I cook. Breakfast is usually omlette/scrambled eggs with sprouted grain toast and ghee, or idli or adai, ragi or oatmeal pancakes or oatmeal. He might eat fruit with it or as a snack (these get alternated too between apple, oranges, frozen blueberries or cherries etc). Lunch and dinner is whatever the family eats (rice, dal, veggies, meat, fish, pasta). I might just pick the veggie or chicken or whatever out of the gravy, take off some extra masala if the dish is spicy and also include yogurt for him. When he was around 9 months or so I would do a quick rinse so it wasn't as spicy for him but he is used to it now so I don't have to do that anymore.

Its a good idea to remember to always give a source of protein with the carb at a meal and to include at least one fruit and one veggie a day. Also, if your toddler prefers sweet now try different types of fruits or even things like roasted sweet potatoes. I find that when I make things like pancakes if I use a sweet fruit like banana and add vanilla and cinammon, it gives a sweet flavor without having to add sugar. Hope that helps!