1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

13 month Toddler not walking - pls guide

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by mariselviprabu, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mariselviprabu

mariselviprabu Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My kid is 13 months old but still not walking on his own.He balances himself on furniture and walks using "nadai vandi".

I am worried.Pls help.

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi MariselviPrabhu...

You really dont have to worry about this...each kid takes its own time to begin walking..my friend's kid(17 months - 20 days elder than my DD) has started talking 10 steps only recently while my DD was running when she was 11 months old...it all depends...my friend's son was not even walking with the nadai vandi at 12 months...dont worry...there is no issue...

i suggest you few small things...
    (1) when DD was 6 months old(after she sat without support),we bought her walker(guess you would have seen this) similar to nadaivandi but here baby can sit inside with ease and move easily(becoz of the wheels attached)...you can get it in any baby shop..might cost around 400Rs (contains some buttons(pressing which some songs would be played) and tiny dolls attached in them to make baby sit in that and enjoy)...whether you believe or not ,when before she completed 6 1/2 months,she started to move freely and with great speed using that walker...this made her happy since she was able to move freely all around the house..this encouraged her further to stand and take her first few steps soon and as a result ,she started taking 2-3 steps as soon as she finished 10 months....i personally believe that the walker has helped my LO walk a bit sooner than expected..(JMO)...why dont you try that...one thing is dont make the baby sit in that often a day and for a long time...
    (2)Also,you can keep giving small massages to your LO's legs
    (3)You catch your LO's fingers or hands and make him walk a few steps,few times a day

If you are really scared,talk to your PEd

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

I agree with Swaran, each child needs its own time.

Do help him gain balance and stand with support and take a few steps everyday, he should be able to catch up soon.

Not a major issues, don't loose heart. If you are still concerned, do check with your Pediatrician and see what they have to say.

Good Luck!

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Mariselviprabhu - normal age range for independant walking is upto 18 months and the majority actually walk only at 13-14 months so absolutely no grounds for worry on your part. It will happen very soon. Walkers - a word of caution. Walkers DO NOT help in early walking. They can be very dangerous and have been banned in several countries because of this. Also they do not help muscle strength to develop and can cause postural problems. A nadavandi is fine but a sit-in walker is best not used.Just provide stable furniture etc for the child to hold onto and lots of floor time and he/she will walk without any 'extra' help. Enjoy the walking days to come!

Vanathi.

5. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

I am sailing in the same boat.DS not walking independently at 13 months and doc says no cause of concern.Elder one walked at 12 months.I guess each kid take his own time..>So relax and dont worry!

Deepa.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear friend,

I agree with vanathi, on no walkers. though my children are over 12 now and i am way old in terms of toddlers, i would like to say this.

no two children are the same from the same mom. my dd started talking,walking at 9months and never had a trace of the toddler language. ds started talking only when he was 3, and walking we did have a problem as his feet were upturned, instead of 90 degrees to the leg, it was 60 deg which we rectified with intense physio. he was very active, crawling, trying to stand up was all fine. walking he started only at 15 months, during these months, even when i asked my paed, if i could go for any of the walkers, he said NO. he is somebody who never wanted me to use a bottle, (he adviced small spoons, glass ), no cerelacs, no farex,nestums. and he told me, that he will start walking when he is confident that his sense of balance is fine, and walk he did and I was the one running behind him.:drowning

Be relaxed and enjoy the antics of your loved ones..he will do it when is ready, as he came into the world when he was ready. focus on your child alone, and don't worry if your neighbour queries has he walked,why is he not walking..tell them he is not yet ready, or smile and move away.

BTW my son is going on 13, and he is fine and plays crickets and rides a cycle.

1 person likes this.
  7. mariselviprabu

mariselviprabu Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

Thanks for your valuable feedbacks and support ...
    I did have a walker for him from 6 mnths onwards,but my doc advised against it.I think ,each kid has its own phase.

Dear Swaran,

I shall try small massages.Thanks.

Dear Frds SLV,Vanitha,Deepa and Shanthi,

My heartfelt thanks to you all...

Regds,
    Mariselvi Prabu

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Adhusmom,

I may be a little late in informing this to you, but I am just as happy as on the day I noted this post being nominated by no less than Vidya24, an ex-mod of the Finest Posts as one of the Finest Post for the month!!

I do not visit this forum all that often because I am no young mother, but a grandmother who is young at heart!! But I do know that this forum offers a lot of invaluable advice and support to many young mothers.

Keep up the good work and this goes to all others who are helping the young moms to face many daily challanges.

Congrats Adhusmom and keep up the good work! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

L, Kamla

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Wow..thank you Kamla and Vidya24! This is completely unexpected and I really dont think it merits this nomination - still thanks all the same.

V.

10. archtriv

archtriv New IL'ite

Hi MariselviPrabhu..
    I am a new member and saw your thread, although i am a bit late but wanted to share my own experience with u. My son never walked until he was 16 months old. He would walk only with support, i was getting worried like u. And one fine day he just suddenly started walking all by himself. So don't worry, till the time he is being able to grab things and stand by himself and walk with support then he is fine. Very soon he will be walking independently.