1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

12 month recovering from typhoid..suggestions please

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by krozwindz, Oct 24, 2010.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello everyone

My baby has just got back from hospital stay. She was diagonsed as having typhoid. SHe was sick for almost 3 weeks with low grade persistent fever. But in the last week she had high grade(more than104 F)fever which was not coming down even with peadiatric crocin. That when she got admitted to the hospital. We were there for 8 days. Now she is alright (after numerous injectuins and drips through channel)/ I have some questions and will be grateful if some one can answer them...

1) She weighed 9.5 kgs before this happened ( when her age was 11 months). Now she is 8.2 kgs. Her birth weigh was 2.75 kgs. Please suggest me tips on food which i can giver her, keeping in mind her fragile health condition currently, that can increase her weight...... I am giving her nestum-dal,rice,veg in the morning, chicken soup (i dont give the meat as she doesnt have teeth and cant eat the smashed meat, i just give the stock) with rice, boiled potato and butter, and rice dal or kichdi with another boiled potato in the night. In the evening i give her one biscuit and apple sauce from 1 apple.
    Doctor has just cleared today that i can start normal diet for her. But I am not sure what to feed her, which will help her gain weight, and also give her nutrition.

2) I know DHA is required for brain development. WHat can i give her from natural food which will help in better absorbtion of DHA into the body? I know tuna, salmon, avocado, eggs (supplemented with dha), flaxseed, canola, and pumpkin seeds are some alternatives. But here is my concern.
    Tune, salmon, avacado - I live in kolkata, and tune and salmon are only found in canned tins. They are not fresh but preserved. Can they be really good for my baby. Avocado is not available.
    Egges - we get the normal poultry ones. Do they have enough DHA.? I only give her the yolk.
    Flaxseed - I dont even know what they are.
    Pumpkin seeds -- how do i incorporate it into the diet

Well you see my main 2 oncerns are weight gain and proper brain development alongwith good health. I want them to be simultaneous.
    Please help me fix a good food chart for my baby who still probably has a weak stomach and loss of taste.

Thanks for all the help in advance..

2. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    My daughter weighed 2.25kg at birth. She was always a fussy eater and so always at the bottom 5%ile on weight charts. She is 27 months old now and weighs 11kg.

Dont worry too much about the weight now. You need to get her appetite up. Get in touch with a good homeopathy doc and take some medicine for hunger. Homeopathy is good and it works on the system harmlessly. I've used a course for my daughter and now she is eating well. She has nice cheeks but she doesnt put on weight!! lol

I am glad your daughter is out of the hospital. I know how horrific it is for parents to see children suffer...

Keep the child happy and give her what ever she wants to eat. Dont force feed. Try to get her appetite up (esp after typhoid, food intake can be very low)....dont lose heart..you will see your baby completely healthy, happy and eating well in a few weeks time :)

3. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

an egg or 2 everyday. boil and give her fully.

4. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Thank you Tulipzz... I have been given an allopathic tonic called A-Z multivita and multi mineral. I will find a good homeopathic doc if this doesnt seem to work.
    @ themuteviolin - I hadnt given lots of egg to her before and that too only the yellow .. not white.. do u think i should start giving now, that her appetite is still not recovered...

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You might try this to give your toddler...it is usually well liked by kids:

Microwaved ' Baked' Egg Custard Recipe - Food.com - 31215

Also add paneer and butter to her diet as she can tolerate.

Poor kid...I feel so sorry to hear such a small child being so sick. All the best to you.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

7. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi aditi,

So sad to hear. My best wishes to li'l one.

You can give her omlet also with enough salt. She may like that.

Also, in all her curries put little bit of cashew nut powder. This can strengthen bones. You can give our regular curries slightly mashed.

Try this: Potato (peel, boiled and mashed) and carrot (grated and boiled). Mix both of these and put some seasonings. Li'l one may like it.

Deepa.

8. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

@tashidelek2002 - I will try the recipe. I do give her butter with lunch and dinner. I havent tried panner though. Will try it tommorow.
    @Poonam - U r always a big help. Just knowing you are there in this site helps my morale. Thanks for being there for everyone of us.
    @ Deepa - Can i start on nuts now? Then i also wanted to start on almond powder. But I am not sure if i should be giving it to her. I had downloaded all recipes given in the other forum for baby food. ANd there i saw recipe where people used boiled dates. I did that just before DD fell sick. Then i gave it up, thinking it might be the reason for her sickeness( the diagonsis was done much later). I am scared to start again without knowing if it is ok for me to give boiled dates and crushed almond or cashew powder.

IS THIS OK FOR ME TO GIVE? Please help.

9. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

hi krozwindz,what i feel is just now she has come home from the hospital all of a sudden dont start with a heavy diet for she will find very difficult to digest tsk. put her on light diet this week & gradually increase her level of intake.avoid oil products for first few days.you chart out her diet sheet by the doctor who treated her as she knows her case history very well

i wish a speedy recovery to your DD :thumbsup

10. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi Aditi,

I too did not start on almond powder yet. Thought it will be hard on li'l one's stomach. So started on only cashew nut powder. That too a small tsp in an amount of curry sufficient for her lunch and dinner.

Dont put much, it may lead to constipation.

As Gayathri said, you can wait for 1 week and start.

Lot of healthy vibes to your li'l one.

Deepa.