1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

10 minutes of Vishnusahsranam - 24 hours of peace

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shania3k, Nov 20, 2010.

1. shania3k

shania3k New IL'ite

[​IMG]

Wake up, stress out a little, rush to the shower. Think more about work under the streaming water, stress out a little more. Dress up, look at the watch, stress out much more, gulp down that coffee, and off to work I go!

This was my daily routine till a week ago. By the time I reached work, my stress level used to be at its peak. This is definitely an unhealthy way to start the day. I work in New York, in a well paid, but very demanding job in a financial firm. It all sounds great on paper, but eventually the everyday challenges get to you, and you find yourself questioning how you are living your life. Quality of life starts taking a higher priority over materialistic earnings.

I realized, I needed to strike that balance. I needed to get the part of me that was buried deep down, under the layers of inane daily tasks and worries.

I'm a chronic alarm snoozer and I absolutely hate waking up earlier than required. But I did wake up 10 minutes earlier, with a lot of self recrimination, and mental pushing. All of a sudden, I had more time to have a slightly relaxed shower!

I got out of the shower, went to the pooja room, and just sat down. The window directly faces me, and I can see the pretty blue sky. I folded my hands in prayer, and thanked God for letting me see such a beautiful day. I set my timer and started chanting the Vishnusahasranama.

By my side, I had turned on my laptop to a youtube page where MS Subbulaxmi was chanting the sahasranama, with english subtitles. The words awed me, and I was lost in Shri Krishna's/ Lord Vishnus greatness. The powerful words uplifted my soul, and I suddenly felt strong enough to take on what the day had to offer me. I stopped my chants in the final 2 minutes, and just closed my eyes and tried to keep my mind blank. It felt like I was in this state forever, and the timer went off.

I went calmly to work after that, and I had a feeling of lightness the whole day. This time, when I came back home, I didn't feel tired, or like I had run a marathon.

It's amazing. Just 10 minutes of my day, gave me strength for 24 hours.

2. kiran1

kiran1 New IL'ite

Great entry. I recently started doing the same thing (prayer) in the mornings before I go. And I too mix it up with new tech (isn't youtube great?). It's wonderful to have those few moments to connect to something greater, and to remember that nothing at work is really that important.

3. shania3k

shania3k New IL'ite

Thanks Kiran! Oh yeah! Love youtube, for everything :) Yes, I think it's very important to keep a few moments of you to yourself. I just hope I'm able to keep up with the waking up early. It's getting harder during winter time :)

IndusLadies - shania3k
    Svini's Picks

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

:) I loved reading your blog .....

i read in the web that

Perhaps the most important of the benefits attained by one who chants the Stotram with devotion and sincerity is the cleansing of one's mind from all evil thoughts, and this is a very important and desirable benefit since this is the first step towards achieving pure happiness and absolute bliss.

Firmness of mind, good memory, happiness of the self (inner happiness), and freedom from anger, jealousy, and greed, are some of the benefits that accrue to one who recites the stotram with devotion and eagerness.

The key is the sincerity of purpose and devotion.

The person who chants or recites is not the only one who benefits.... Those who for whatever reason are unable to chant, benefit by just hearing the chanting.:)

Some might say that they do not understand the meaning of the Sanskrit words in the stotram and therefore do not feel comfortable chanting it.

Sri Chandrasekhara Saraswathi Swami has given us his guidance on this issue in one of his discourses.

He advises us that learning the chanting of prayers even without knowing the meaning is a worthwhile act, and can be compared to finding a box of treasure without the key.

As long as we have the box, we can open it whenever we get the key of knowledge later, but the treasure will be already there.

He who seeks Dharma,
    He who seeks wealth,
    He who seeks pleasures,
    He who seeks children,
    Will all without fail,
    Get what they want.

He who sings the thousand names of Vasudeva ,
    With utmost devotion ,
    After he rises in the morning,
    With a mind tied in Him always,
    Will get fame without fail ,
    Will be first in what he does,
    Will get riches that last,
    Would attain salvation from these bonds

He who chants these holy thousand names,
    With devotion to Purushottama,
    Will cross the miseries ,
    That cannot be crossed
    Without fail.
    Source(s):

Aum Loka Samastha Sukinou Bhavanthu

5. shania3k

shania3k New IL'ite

Mssunitha, that was very insightful! You are probably right on the chanting is still good, even if you don't know the meaning. I guess, faith and devotion in itself it something we have to work on every day, since the concept of God is so intangible..

IndusLadies - shania3k
    Svini's Picks

6. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Very nice blogs and comments...I totally agree...

7. shania3k

shania3k New IL'ite

Thanks jaishvats!

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for writing about the chanting especially in the morning. I have started doing it for past few months. I put few solkams in iPod and switch it on as soon as I get up. That makes all the family members feel good. I hope members who read your blog start the routine like you. I never thought of watching it in youtube. Will start today. Thanks.

9. shania3k

shania3k New IL'ite

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very happy to see that you indeed found your balance at the right time..

I agree with your statement, which is 100% true.Shania!