1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“You too can choose to be happy and whistle in the rain!”

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    A friend of mine once told me ,”If you go around asking people,what would make them happier,one would say “I will be happier if I can buy a bigger car”.Another would say,”I will be happier to live in a bigger house”Another would say,”If only I can afford to go on a holiday abroad,I would be happier.But noone would say that making others happy would make him/her happier.”I used to think about her words a lot and I believed in those words, till I came across.Ramamurthy.

Mr.Ramamurthy retired from a clerical post and lives by himself in a single bedroom flat .H e was affected by polio when he was young, and limps badly .Well Ramamurthy is a unique person.I have never seen him without a smile on his face.

There is a widow,mrs.Meenu who lives with her only son Balu in a chawl, which is adjucent to Ramamurthy’s house.Meenu works as a cook on daily wage basis.Recently her son fell seriously ill and had to be admitted in hospital.Meenu could not afford to take leave as she would lose her salary.But, who would take food for Balu?Who would talk to the doctors and bring the news of his progess to Meenu.Meenu was in tears.Here is where Ramamurthy stepped in .For the next one week, Ramamurthy took meals to Balu,talked to the doctors when they came on rounds and brought news of his progress to Meenu.He did not take even bus charge from her,Iam saying this because he himself is on a meager pension.Meenu could only repay him with a smiling face and tears of gratitude in her eyes.

The above mentioned incident is just one incident from Ramamurthy’s life.He is always up to helping out somebody or other.I asked him once,”Why do you go out of the way,to run errnds for people,to help people.What do you gain from this?”

“Because helping people who are in dire need of help and who can not spend money to get that help, makes me happy..The day I lend a helping hand to someone who needs the help,I go to sleep in a happy frame of mind.I feel that Iam the happiest,the luckiest person on earth..He considers himself the luckiest because God gave him an opportunity to help some one ,he is the happiest because he made that person happy. Now I knew the secret of his ever smiling face

There is nothing that will make one feel better than doing something for someone .One does not have to spend a huge fortune for this.One can offer to take care of a young mother’s child, when she goes out shopping.One can offer to buy vegetables and groceries for an elderly person, for whom taking a bus and carrying parcels is a task.One can spend a few hours in a week,in a nursing home,may be a cancer ward,loving,listening and talking to the patients there.

“You can not live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you..” ------John Wooden

[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    sindmani likes this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila
    Wow it is really nice to read about such people who always ready to help others and bring smile on they faces. Ramamurthy is indeed a great person.

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Nice write-up Mam.

Yes. We should certainly offer whatever help possible especially to the needy and make them happy. But I am very clear about one thing. Youngsters who out of sheer lethargy expect help from me, I am not there to offer, except in case of dire need during any emergency.

Whenever I see your avtaar here, I will be reminded of Pushpa Paati (for she resembles you) who stays quite close by. I have mentioned about her in one of Viji Aunty's threads about senior citizens.

Pushpa Paati stays alone. When she entered the colony for the first time, some one had mentioned my name to her and I used to offer whatever help I could - like doing some shopping for her, making telephone calls for her (she did not have a separate connection). She was so good at kolam and handwork. She displays them all during Navraatri though she does not keep kolu as such. Her relatives coming to see her used to thank me profusely for helping Pushpa Paati. She is nearing 92 and now her eyesight has deteriorated. She has an attendant staying with her. We moved out of that colony around 5 yrs ago.

Thanks for the post aunty.

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Mithila Aunty

How are you ? I felt very very happy to see your thread last week ...you know how i found out that you are back in IL...?

by seeing your new avatar (really good!!!!!) in my profile....usually i dont go to that page ...

i felt very very happy to see you back ....that showed that you are ok now.

i wrote a long fb on your thread regarding smiling angels who looked after you... before i could submit my internet connection went off...but i thought it was for good bcos mine was a very emotional fb...

i had sent a get well message to you long back in one of ur threads when i came to know that you were hospitalised....

when i saw no reply from you... i thought you were still in bangalore and will be back in IL after you were feeling good.

now you are back home:) and back in IL....:)

aunty...keep writing because it is a way to pour out your feelings and that will help you have a relaxed feel you know....

get well soon aunty and i keep thinking of you ....whenever i think of IL.... convey my loving regards to uncle too...ok

take care....aunty sorry for not writing any detailed fb on your thread first....

i admire mr.ramamurthy's kindness and wish there are many more ramamurthys' in this wonderful world.

5. mithila kannan

Dear Aruna,
    Persons like Ramamurthy are rare to be seen.The world has become a better place ,particularly for the have nots because of Ramamurthys.God bless them!
    Thank you for the fb.
    love
    mithila

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. mithila kannan

My dear sunitha,
    Your kind words came as a lovely breeze carrying the fragrance of just blossomed flowers my dear.I have no words to thank you for the love and affection you are showering on me.
    Iand my dh have moved to Bangalore .Iam feeling better now.Iam grateful to God for all the blessings he has given me in the form of friends like you and all the others in IL.
    Iam happy that you liked the post.
    love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

My dear Mallika,
    Thank you for that lovely not.
    I agree with you,you should help only those who need your help.

Happy to learn about Pushpa patti.There is an elderl lady who is my SIL's neighbour.On festival days she draws kolams in front of the flats nearby her flat.

love]
    mithila

8. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila Mam,

Your post was simply superb and it is really true that we will get happiness if we help the needy people.

Hats of to Mr.Ramamurthy.:hatsoff:hatsoff

Love
    Srisai

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear mithila,
    A wonderful narration about a wonderful person.
    In this commercial world persons like Ramamurthy, brings some happiness.
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]He is that sort of person who believes that giving gives more happiness than receiving.[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]In helping others, we shall help ourselves,
    for whatever good we give out completes the circle
    and comes back to us.
    [/FONT]Helping others brings good feelings to the giver and the receiver of the good deeds. Using your special gifts to help others can be a gift to yourself as you enjoy a self esteem boost for making others’ lives better, and make the world a better place. You feel more worthy of good deeds yourself, your trust in the decency of people is reinforced, and you feel more connected to yourself and to others. In fact, research shows that those who demonstrate more altruistic social interest tend to enjoy higher levels of mental health, above and beyond the practical benefits of receiving help and other known psycho spiritual, stress, and demographic factors that you would expect.
    with love
    pad
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

10. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mithila
    Sri Ramamurthy is a rare Gem and I can say without reserve, that "its only because of saints like him that the world is still getting rains". Thank you so much for telling us about him and reminding us in your inimitable, gentle style that the business of Life and Living is not about only seeking happiness for ourselves but in realising that true happiness lies in sharing and caring for others in need ; and doing it wholeheartedly , not just to gather "Punya" for self.

He considers himself the luckiest because God gave him an opportunity to help some one ,he is the happiest because he made that person happy. Now I knew the secret of his ever smiling face
    This is something to keep in mind and think about often.

A beautiful post to be treasured , Mithila.