1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“Kettum Pattinam Ser” - Proverb

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Kettum Pattinam Ser” ​

“ கெட்டும் பட்டணம் சேர் “

Dear All,
    A good friend of mine sent the Tamil proverb “Kettum Pattinam Ser” for my interpretation.
    This is the fifth in the series after :
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...92257-oppukku-chappani-oorukku-mankottai.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...-summa-kadantha-sangai-oodhi-keduththaan.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...kavizhndhalum-kannaththil-kai-vaikkadhey.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ttiyil-irundhaal-agappayil-varum-proverb.html

Enjoy. .
    As usual, please feel free to comment and suggest improvements on the interpretation as well.
    Cheers,
    Rrg

Cheers,
    RRG
    “Kettum Pattinam Ser” - Proverb 5
    “ கெட்டும் பட்டணம் சேர் “

This is another oft repeated Tamil proverb of yester years. This is normally taken as an advice for ‘rural folks to migrate to the city in search of a better life’. If that happens there would only be chaos both in the city as well as villages – the country as a whole. Will our wise ancestors give such a calamitous advice? Never .

The meaning of the proverb has not been fully understood by many.
    Kettum - even if lost, turning bad, spoilt
    Pattinam Ser – Reach the city.

As such it sounds as if the rural community needs to migrate to the cities for their betterment. Thus the word “Kettum” calls for deeper understanding.
    ‘Kettum’ could mean many things like physically lost (not much relevance here), spoilt, loss of character (that in a city, being a bigger place, people may not recognize you and link you up with your past; But for this, you could as well gone off to a distant village, where no one knows you ) etc. It could also mean bad times due to vagaries of nature etc.

But, I feel the kettum in this proverb is a shortened form of “Vidhi / Kalam kettum “ (or “ Vidhi / Kalam kettu irundhalum” to be more precise) - meaning ‘Even if your fate had turned bad’.
    In a village opportunities for alternative employment are limited. If crop fails, the harvesters are out of employment – there by their earnings are affected. But not so in a city.

The proverb is not advising all rural folks, in general, to migrate to the city, but addresses only those who have no way of making a decent living there. It tells them, “ Don’t be disheartened by your present ‘kalam /bad time’. Don’t keep lamenting over it, doing nothing. While your present environment may not offer much scope for making a decent living out of your abilities, due to situations beyond your control, a bigger city could offer better opportunities, alternative employment, for the right minded to come up in life. Move over there and prosper”. As for me, this could be what the wise old men meant.

The story of the farm hand in “CIAV” could apply to this proverb as well.

Anbudan,
    RRG

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

RRG, sometimes, it is better to start a new life where no body knows you or give you opportunities only because of your family.Knowing some important is some times good and other times bad. Our elders were very wise to encourage us to take bold steps to better our future with simple (???) proverbs.

It is like Survival of the Fittest.
    Good one.

CL

SCSusila likes this.
  3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear CL,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Excepting we two, I think not many in this forum are keen on such proverbs. :)
    Cheers,
    RRG

4. CharanyaRam

CharanyaRam Bronze IL'ite

Asusual a very good one.

My peripa use to say this words... My granma had 7 kids 5 boys and 2 girls and lived in a small vilage near tirunelveli where there is no good facilities like school or padasala they call, etc... and the kids just use to spend times playing around and my grandpa was doing some farming. One day suddeny she decided to go to tirunelveli where her mom was staying with the whole family. All her inlaws said the same proverb to her "Kettum pattnum ser" for them being in a remote vilage tirunelvelli seemed to be a pattanum in 1950's. Anyways she was stubborn in her thought and took only her children and came to tirunelvelli. If she has not taken that step my peripas and my dad would have not reached such a great highs in their lives, only because of their job and education they educated us in a very best way and also teach us how to mould our lives from their experiance. We all attribute our success to her and my grandpa who supported her.

RRg your post is quiet nostalgic for me.....

5. CharanyaRam

CharanyaRam Bronze IL'ite

So elders have defined everything very well, we are misinterupting it...... They have done Phd in life witout even going to schools......

6. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks CR.
    HTML:
     So elders have defined everything very well, we are misinterupting it...... They have done Phd in life witout even going to schools...... 
    You have said it right.:)
    Cheers,
    RRG

7. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for this interpretation. I have been following all your proverbs and interpretations and love them. In a Facebook page of which I am a member we are now posting many Tamil proverbs and discussing the stories behind some of them. My research for the post brought me here to your thread. I have always loved proverbs and their origins as my Amma used to use the at the drop of a hat

8. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Good analysis .
    The Proverbs we hear sometimes seem strange and we have to search for meanings . Many different people have many different interpretations . Unless we know the circumstance when the proverb originated , it can be difficult to understand .
    But if we are able to take some meaning useful for us , its enough .

Also , many words can become twisted and become different words totally . So we cant even say if Kettum or pattanam were sime other words .