1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“Is There Anything More Beautiful Than My Wife’s Eyes?”

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 27, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Ramanujacharya was amused by the strange sight – Ponnachi walking towards the temple followed by her retinue and Villidasan walking backwards unable to take off his eyes from those of his beautiful wife!

Love melts, whatever may be the form, the medium in which it is expressed, and whatever may be the object of love. A mother’s love for her child, a devotee’s love for God, a teacher’s love for his disciple, love expressed in the form of poetry, in words, or in action – which in the present instance was much more poetical than poetry itself – can move mountains.

The great saint was moved on seeing this wonderful sight. He enquired about the couple and then sent word to Villidasan asking him to come and meet him in his Asram alone. Ramanuja had decided to something about that.

We have to pause here lest the great Acharya should be misunderstood. Why did he want to do something about Villidasan’s love for his beautiful wife, Ponnachi?

One theory is that he wanted to ‘properly channelise’ the love. Instead of flowing towards his wife Ponnachi, if this lover were to flow towards God! That would be great, right?

But to me nothing could be more absurd than that. The channels of love do not sanctify it! On the other hand love sanctifies the channels through which it flows! Love towards God, may be Vishnu, Shiva, Jesus, Allah or the Buddha, is in no way superior to the love Villidasan had for his wife, Ponnachi.

I will go one step further. If you love your pup then that is much, much better than your sitting in the Puja room mindlessly repeating some God-names. Love for your pup or even a street mongrel is no less than the love you can have for the Infinite, All powerful, God. The quality of love is not dependent on the object of love.

Another theory is far worse. It says that Ramanuja wanted such a powerful force for his Vaishnavite Movement.

When I heard this theory I silently prayed to the great saint, “Forgive them, Acharya, they know not what they are talking about!”

Ramanuja’s movement is not like that of the Congress or the BJP. It was not a political movement where you need all the power you can gather. It was a movement of love. Ramanuja was a saint, a spiritual leader. Not a politican or statesman. Don’t ever think on those lines.

Now why should Ramanuja do something about Villi’s love? As a spiritual leader of people he
    instinctively knew that Villi’s love was quite unique. If only Ramanuja could make people love something as intensely as Villi did, yes, he would have made a difference in their lives.

At the same time if he showed Villi’s love as an example to be followed, then ignorant people might mistakenly think that they also should love Ponnachi. In other words at the present level Villidasan’s love is not a copiable, replicable model. So Ramanuja wanted to first shift Villi’s love to something else and then make people understand the greatness of love.

Was he not doing a disservice to Ponnachi? May be. But then he also showed that great object of love to Ponnachi. And in order to make so many people understand the meaning of love, there is no harm in shifting one person’s object of love. As a saint and a spiritual leader Ramanuja had the moral authority to do that.

Now back to the story.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
    sindmani likes this.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Ramanuja was a highly respected Acharya. So Villi came running to see him in his Ashram as soon as he got his call.

It was late in the night. The Srirengam temple would be closed for the day in another half an hour. Ramanuja wanted to accomplish his mission within that time.

He asked Villidasan in a sarcastic tone,

“Aren’t you ashamed, Villi, to be seeing your wife’s eyes, when God’s festival is on?”

Villi’s reply was a correct blend of humility and the force of truth.

“Is there anything more beautiful than my wife’s eyes?”

Ramanuja was waiting for this question.

“What will you do if I show something more beautiful than that?”
    Now Villi knew for sure that there was nothing like that and so his words came with confidence.

“Then I will fall in love with those eyes. Ponnachi and I will be your slaves for the rest of our lives.”

“Deal. Come with me.”

Ramanujar took Villidasan to the sanctum sanctorum of the temple. The God of Love,Sri Renganathar, Thiruvarangan, was sleeping in his comfortable snake-bed attended by his Devis.
    Then the great Acharya took hold of Villidasan’s hands. The Acharya’s touch sent waves of electric shock in his body.

Ramanujar closed his eyes and prayed to the Lord.

“Oh, Lord, here’s is an example of perfect love. And the whole world is steeped in misery unaware of this kind of love. I want the people to know that there is something like this love and that every one of us is capable of it. For that you need to give these two people to me.

"I know that these two people are as precious to you as your Devis and are holier than the holiest scriptures ever written on you. I promise you my Lord, I’ll give them the reverence they deserve. Now please, Renganatha, show the beauty of your eyes to this man of love.”

A selfless prayer! Two loving souls standing before Him! Renganathar was helpless! He had to grant the Acharya’s wish.

And the great Lord, whose eyes are not to be seen even by the highest of Devas and the wisest of Rishis, whose Feet cannot even be touched by Vedas and all the knowledge in the world, opened his most beautiful eyes for Villidasan to see. Villidasan was awe-struck; no he was love-struck.

The sight lasted for a fraction of a second. Villi instantly fell in love with those large, beautiful eyes, for which nothing in the world is even a pale comparison.

Villi prostrated at Sri Ramanujar’s feet proclaiming his slavery to the saint. Ramanuja lifted him as a loving father would lift his loving son. Ramanujar’s eyes were so full with tears, his heart so full with love that for a few seconds he could not talk.

What happened thereafter is even more interesting….

Last edited: May 27, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti,

This episode was breathtaking, mesmerising!

This narration has a very enchanting aura. May be because it is all about love in its purest form.

To picturise Lord Rangantha opening His eyes on the behest of Ramanujar brings goosebumps!

Felt like reading more and more of it...But I suppose all good things come in small packs.

L, Kamla

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Sridhar,

This has become typical of you to leave us hanging ! Now I will leave the fb in hanging as my duty is calling me. Will cme back and give you a detailed writeup. Till that let me mull over this beautiful love.

5. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

What happened thereafter ? What happened thereafter ? what happened thereafter ? what happened thereafter ? what happened thereafter ?

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    Beautiful story it was worth waitng .....................now when will next wednesday arrive????????
    Wow what a perfect way of teaching people the love of Vailli and Ponnachi.............

7. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I was reading the 1st episode, when I saw the new title, which totally misled me. For a moment I thought you became super-romantic like our Villi and started describing Indhu's eyes to us.bonkThen I saw your fb about the next episode. Just jumped on to continue reading about Villi.

After reading this episode, I needed a few moments of solitude, to chew the love of the Lord & the Acharya. Even to visualise the Lord opening His lotus eyes, brought tears to my eyes. Villi Dasar must have attained Supreme Bliss at this moment!

Our sincere thanks to you and please accept our great appreciation for your great work.

Regards
    USHA

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir..

Very nice.. I was reading intrestingly... but why do you give break very soon.......:hide:.... too bad...

Waiting for the continuation.....
    Love
    Brindha..

9. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Like Kamla has rightly said, this thread has an enchanting aura......so much of beauty and love seems to be radiating! Yes Ramanujar is doing the right thing trying to channelize for the greater cause of the humanity! Villi was a blessed soul for having such a selfless love for his wife,.....now if that selfless Love gets devoted to the LOrd.............:bowdown

Liked the way you took us to the sanctom sanctorum af Srirangam. I just love that temple and Ranganathar ......it has so much of beauty! I always felt a happiness and love after visiting that place. Rosh was talking about Srirangam just this weekend....she wanted to go there and settle down around the temple! That is our affinity to this place....i guess this is how Love and Beauty are also closely interlinked! Food for thought!
    Now the waiting is also becoming sweet......Bow....thanks for opening this thread!

10. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir

This was the best trip of my life ... a trip to Srirangam ... much much better than the other train trips you have taken us on!!! And so satisfying ...

Your ability to describe situations so beautifully is something I am in awe of ... I visualised the whole scene! How true Villidasan's love should have been for him to be able to see the beautiful eyes of the Lord ... the same eyes which keep watch on all that is happening in the world ...

But its not fair ... you always leave us at the most interesting part. You build the suspense and then ... gone! Its like the serials with a Thodarum (to be continued) at the most crucial moment ...