1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

பஞ்சாங்கம்

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by Bhaskaran, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

Please download the attached file and read.

Attached Files:

2. durgadeviramesh

durgadeviramesh Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for useful posting.

Bhaskaran likes this.
  3. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

Thank you mam

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Bhaskaran,

Thank you for the elaborate explanations about the particulars given in Panchangam.
    The study of Panchangam itself needs some basic mathematical knowledge.
    In Trikanith and Vaakya panchangam the thithis and nakshatraa and yogams also vary.
    The same day may be auspicious as per one panchangam and inauspicious as per another panchangam.
    Very rarely there is variation in an essential point as 'date'. This we found in the year2003 when we fixed a marriage on 19th January. It was Thai-5th in one panchangam and Thai 6th in another panchangam.The sankalpas taken during the wedding also were a question of controversy between the pundits. As the guests were not that much inquisitive we simply hurried and didn't make it an issue.Thrikanith calculations are taken for computerisation.

I would like to focus my response on Rahukalam only.

Normally we do have the tradition of starting things on auspicious hours or at least not commencing them on the so called inauspicious period such as Rahu kalam.
    There is a standard Rahukalam Timetable given in all almanacs.This timetable has been given under the assumption that the sun rises at 6A.M. & sets at 6P.M.
    Based on this people who believe in Rahu Kaalam start the Pooja etc just 5mts before the commencement of Rahukalam,continue & finish off just after Rahukalam ends.

But actually Raahukalm for each day is calculated thus. The daytime ,that is the intervel between Sunrise & Sunset is divided into 8 equal parts called octants.The first octant is left off.The second octant to the eighth octants are being assigned to the days in the order Monday,,Saturday,Friday,Wednesday,Thursday,Tuesday and Sunday.The Rahukalam on Sunday ends with Sunset.
    In summer, daytime is longer & Rahukala period also will be more than 90 mts & during winter, day time is short & the Rahu kalam also will be shorter.

The following table clearly indicates the Rahukalam period for 4 cities with different sunrise & sunset timings.
    CITY:1 CITY:2 CITY:3 CITY:4
    ......... ............. .......... ..........
    Rise/set Rise/Set Rise/Set Rise/Set
    A.M/p/M A.M./P.M A.M./P.M A.M./P.M
    6.00/6.00 7.00/7.00 5.58/8.14 7.30/5.30

1/8=90mts 1/8=90mts 1/8=107mts 1/8=75mts
    Rahukalam
    Su;4.30-6.00p.m. 5.30-7.00p.m 6.27-8.14p.m 4.15-5.30

M: 7.30-9.00a.m. 8.30-10.00a.m. 7.45-9.32a.m. 8.45 -10a.m.

Tu:3.00-4.30p.m. 4.00-5.30p.m. 4.40-6.27p.m 3.00-4.15p.m.

W:12noon-1.30p.m. 1.00-2.30p.m. 1.06-2.53p.m. 12.30-1.45p.m.

Th:1.30-3.00p.m. 2.30-4.00p.m. 2.53-4.40p.m 1.45-3.00 p.m.

F:10.30-12noon 11.30-1.00p.m. 11.19-1.06p.m. 11.15 -12.30p.m

Sa:9.00-10.30a.m. 10.00-11.30a.m 9.32-11.19a.m. 10.00-11.15a.m.

Those who are meticulous of staggering any work just for Rahukalam sake, may take into account the above facts also. Sunise & sunset timings are given in dailies.For people living in chennai,timings may not vary much, But in places like Delhi, Bangalore where winter day timings are short,the Rahukalam will definitely vary.In a country like Singapore though the daytime is 12hrs ,the Rahukala timings vary by an hour due to late sunrise.Now a days rahukala on day to day basis is available in internet & cell phones.

In South India,mainly Rahukalam is taken care of. But in Western India, specially in Gujarat,business people are very particular in avoiding not only Rahukalam but also many other inauspicious timings specific to their business in accordance with their calender.

Even people following the tradition raise the following questions.
    1.Whether the inauspiciousness is being caused by the planetary movements?
    2. While Rahu is considered to be a node,& not a planet,how can it influence the living beings?
    3.Whether there is any scientific proof to the fact that Rahukalam may prove harmful?
    4. While the classification into thithis Prathama, Dvithiya etc depends on lunar movement,
    the significance of grouping into days,Sunday , Monday etc & the specific influence of Rahu on specific hours has not been explained in many books.It is simply being followed as a tradition not necessarily out of faith but out of fear of avoiding the evil.
    5.All are aware that only in preplanned events auspicious hrs can be adhered to & not during exigencies.
    6.. 4 factors contribute to the success of any endeavour.
    Yatnam,(Effort),
    Prayatnam (severe & sincere efforts),
    Kaalam (period of doing ) &
    Devaanugraham( Divine Grace).

It may not mean that only if the efforts are made during auspicious period, it will yield good results. Really it implies that when sincere efforts are undertaken with a lofty ideal in mind,auspicious kaalam starts instantly which leads to Divine Grace.

While there is no harm in following the tradition,younger generation would prefer to be scientifically convinced.

Jayasala42

Thyagarajan and Bhaskaran like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I thank you for posting this thread otherwise the education and detailed information in FB for this thread from @jayasala42 at #4 would not have been possible .
    Regards. God Bless Us All.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:it is thought provoking and highly informative and useful and great lesson for blind followers of tradition chiefly out of fear (from society). I would like to thank you from bottom of my heart for taking so much pains to enlighten the thoughtless followers of tradition. I particularly liked the penultimate para about sincere efforts in pursuing or attaining the goal one aspires for.
    2. Once my father told me to go and meet a VIP for my placement and told me to ensure avoid rahukalam. On a particular day I left home immediately after the rahukalam ended (reckoned from sun raise at Chennai in summer for Monday). I reached the VIP's bungalow in about ten minutes when just at the gates bungalow the watchman was opening the gates for an ambassador to leave the bungalow. I reached the gates but got stunned when the gatekeeper told me that VIP was waiting all along for the rahukalam to conclude and just left in car to airport!
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All.

7. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

Dear Jaya
    I really appreciate you on your comments. I give you short reply now as i am not well versed in English.
    Q1. yes
    Q2. & Q3 yes . proved in solar & lunar eclipse theory.
    Q4. Since ragu & ketu are not a planet , they are not given a day for them but they have been given the same 21 hours in a week as equal to other planet. each day has rahu kalam 1.5 hrs and kuligan 1.5 hrs total 3hrs a day and for a week 7X3=21 hrs . sunday has 24 hrs and if you detect these 3 hrs you get 21 hrs.only for the planet .
    Q6. Here if you want scientifically proven answers you just read the theory satellite launching and its orbits theory and if you want very simple answers you can read the answers of kanchi periyava . He says we can not control our bodily function such as respiration , digestion , and even the growth of our hair and nail . the link is given below.

தமிழ் இணைய தளம்

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

விரிவான விளக்கங்களுக்கு மிக்க நன்றி

9. papusridhar

papusridhar New IL'ite

Hello Mr. Baskara
    Would like to know that yama kandam and kuligan kaalam are same.
    Generally in panchangam Rahu kalam, yama kandam and kuligai is there.
    Pls clarify
    Papu sridhar

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  10. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

Yes, yamagandam and gulika kaalam are not same . That is why in panchangam Rahu kalam, yamagandam and gulika is there for separately.