1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning silver articles and small silver idols

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by blessed, Dec 18, 2009.

1. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear,

We have 2-3 silver idols of god at home. It was too blackish until my MIL told they were silver I didn't know. She got a fresh tooth paste and a new tooth brush and cleaned them. WOW it is amazing!! It looks so shiny as if we got it from the shop just now.

2. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Wow, most of the ladies here mentioned about the tooth paste, I didnt know about this.

Today I saw a article in paper(Times) that we should take a glass bowl, cover it with silver foil paper, sprinkle baking soda on it (atlest one table spoon) and then pour boiling water into it, leave it for a few minutes and then I believe it sparkles like new.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  3. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I did read through your posts on cleaning the idols.

Generally i follow the same,but it had been a few days since i cleaned my idols,so this morning had soaked all the silver items in a bowl of hot watre with some dishwashing liquid. Later I dont know what struck me, I took a little of bleach and diluted it with water and soaked my idols.After an hour or so I noticed they were all black. I felt so bad.. and regretting why i did that. Can anyone of you help me removing that stain. I tried rubbing with baking soda and vibuthi(holy ashes) they removed some but not all.

Kindly help.

Regards
    Vanitha

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Blessed:
    that method with aluminum is not so good...I have the aluminum plate for that and I think the silver is kind of dull after doing it. As to using ashes or other abrasives on silver, it polishes by taking off some of the top layer of silver. This is particularly dangerous on anything plated. Best to use toothpaste or silver cleaning paste. Use the camphor trick if you have a cabinet.

5. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

I tried polishing my silver vessels with agarbathi ashes and it sparkled so much. It was very easy. I tried the aluminium/baking soda method earlier but it didnt work out. If anyone wants to know about this, you can search in youtube.

sindmani likes this.
  6. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hi tashidelek2002,

Can you provide me the name of the silver cleaning paste you have and also where it is available.
    Is it effective on stains caused by bleach on silver items??

Regards
    Vanitha

7. tashidelek2002

Vanitha:
    Try Wrights paste. It is a little messier to use but it gives a really nice shine and some protection to tarnishing. You can also try good old toothpaste if you like. Another thing that is nice to have around is a jeweller's cloth. It has impregnated in it some reddish powder that polishes gold, silver, etc very nicely.

I am at a loss to tell you what to do about those bleach stains. Sorry.

8. monikakrishna76

monikakrishna76 New IL'ite

use toothpaste for cleaning both silver as well as enamels

9. tashidelek2002

Monika:
    The silver polishes in USA also have an anti-tarnish agent in them so you don't need to repolish as often which is a nice feature. They are also made so they don't ruin silver plate.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

thanks tashidelek. So is the Wrights paste that you suggested , a silver polish which you have mentioned below??? Can it be used to polish silver? And where can you get them?

Also, wanted to let youll know that after frequent washing with toothpaste,baking soda and soaking the silver items in just plain water and baking soda, the tarnishes have gone.

Regards
    Vanitha