1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting Parents - Keeping them occupied?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 24, 2006.

1. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Hi All,

My husband's parents are visiting us here in the US for about 4 months. My mother-in-law was a housewife in India and my father-in-law was running a business of his own. The biggest challenge that myself and my husband have is keeping them occupied during their stay here in the US.

Can you all suggest ideas or share personal experiences of how you kept your parents or in-laws occupied when they visited you in the US. The problem for us is acute during the weekdays because we take them around during weekends as much as possible. Look forward to your valuable suggestions so I can immediately implement here!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Varshini

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

some tried out ideas

Dear Varshini,

I have the same issue off and on. My mother, my in-laws and my husband's elderly aunt visit and stay with us for 3 months to a year in turns. So, we are forced to constantly come up with new ideas to keep them occupied.

I am sure you have tried most of these, but still here goes:

1) If they can manage computers, get them online subscriptions to magazines that they might read regularly in India.

2) My mother is hooked to Ask Chitvish section of Indusladies. She spends a lot of time copying recipes, she prefers her writing to print outs. She also tries a lot out, so that is good for me too!

3) If there are classes available nearby, within walking distance, they can enroll in those. My mom and MIL go for embroidery, knitting and card making classes- all ten mts away.

4) For ladies, one good hobby is getting stitching/embroidery kits. This will keep them occupied from one piece to another. And can stay at home.

5) The last time my mother visited, she coached two Sri Lankan students for Europe Carnatic Open Exam. She did not charge any fees and taught then two hours in a day. Both girls passed with A grade and that was a major boost and joy for my mom. Parents always have skills (mehendi, rangoli, cooking) that are precious in foreign soil. As long as you keep the classes free, you can set the pace to their convenience. This time, my mom is coaching me and pushes me to sing three hours a day.

6) Parents can join classes like Tai Chi or water aerobics which may not be easy back home.

7) Then there are video cassettes of Indian movies.

8) My MIL volunteered for 30 mts daily in an Alzheimers Home. She reads and talks to them and though language is different etc, her friends in the old age home seem happy to see her. Similarly, my FIL volunteered in the library in the local school, he had to monitor five year olds and had a great time.

Hope have been of some help.
    cheers
    Vidya

3. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Hi Varshini

I am yet to bring my parents/in laws here, but some of the things that my friends do to keep their parents occupied are

- get SUN TV connection or your regional language TV so that they dont miss out their serials

-Give them clear directions to the park or Indian grocery shop so that they take regular walks

- As Vidya said, take them to your nearest library , because our libraries are always in need of volunteers

- A local temple can always use their help, if your inlaws are interested. My friends mother had come during Golu festival, so she volunteered for the decorations.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi.

Hi,

My inlaws are here and though the library is closer to us, but it is not a walkable one(all the places r like that here). And, also the climate is not great always; so they cant go out without our help. Whenever we go to library, my MIL takes lots of Hindi story books or a different subject which interests her(she likes to read astrology & numerology); though she is not very good in English, somehow manages to read and understand the same which is really a great news.

We do have SUN TV and told them to watch only in the kids' absence so that they will also enjoy the programme and our kids will not get addicted of watching TV!!!

Also, at home, she teaches my kids Hindi/Tamil language books which is a major help for us, isnt it??

Rgds.

5. anujairaj

anujairaj New IL'ite

Ideas to keep parents (esp DAD) occupied?

I live in Columbia,SC.
    I have recently moved here and don't know many people.
    My parents are here from India and the deal is my Dad gets really bored and needs to do something during the daytime when I leave for work.

Any ideas?(I live by myself so no kids/babies)

Now that it has started to get cold,something indoor would be nice!!

Please help:drowning!!

6. siababa

siababa New IL'ite

Re: Ideas to keep parents (esp DAD) occupied?

Try to get him a WII sports/fit game... Your mom can also join him and he will definitely enjoy it a lot.... It's a nice time pass....