1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would u like to change name after marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by cutekid, Aug 28, 2009.

1. priya5474

priya5474 New IL'ite

My hubby is an emotional/sensitive person. He traditionally (as his mother and my mother did) wanted me to change my name to include his name as surname instead of my father's. I clearly refused stating that what I'm right now is because of my father. My DH did not take it seriously after knowing my thoughts because he respects my thoughts.

But even today when my DH see's my surname on a award/appreciation mail/certificate or what so ever, he will grumble to me stating .."Dear me, I just hope your surname is my name". I just grin out on this.:) My father on the other hand when he see's the same certificate will put his collars up and say "My Daughter":thumbsup . This is what they as parents are proud of. Why should we change our core identity after marriage.
    I would say to my husband make both your kids achieve something and they are always going to have your name as surname isn't it...he would say..I WILL and take the revenge laughing :rotflbut sometime he will also say...why not change our kids name as <Surname as Father's and Mother's combined> because you do so much for them and you deserve to be a part of their names.. I would be happy about this thought of his but would not take it forward as I didn't feel it necessary .

2. Amarpreetkochar

Amarpreetkochar Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Even I do not like changing my name or my surname. However, you can do like how Aishwarya has done Aiswarya Rai Bachchan.

Good Luck,
    Amarpreet

3. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Definitely NOT!!
    But I'm lucky that both my dad's name and husband's name is Charles.
    I was actually worried before marriage that I need to change my last name but by god's grace I didn't have to.

I am always proud to include only my dad's name. It has already created a unique identity for us all these years and how can we afford to change it all of a sudden.

But still my husband will ask me to include his full name instead of just 'Charles'. Anyways, I still haven't used that way :)

4. sowmyaraman81

sowmyaraman81 Gold IL'ite

Hi

NO NO NO I wont Change....

My hubby also doesn't want it to be changed :)

Sowmya Raman....

5. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

i dont really mind changing my anme.. but havent done it till now. mainly coz my FIL's financial advisor told them it wud be too painful process to change it officially in passport. as everything related will be messed and screwed up. so have not changed..

i love my maiden surname.. but personally i think i wud hv liked to change to my hubby's surname. :)

6. kavitha nair 1

kavitha nair 1 New IL'ite

I am still Kavitha Nair as i was two years back when i married Anil Prakash.He doesnt mind a bit whether i change my name or not.His opinion is a person remains the same irrespective of what name they acquire.Even my mother still carries her maiden name.

7. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice Thread.
    My answer is No.
    After my marriage my FIL wants me to change my intial. But i refused.
    When I discussed abt this with my husband, he too agree with me.
    Whatever avatars we take in our life my dad is my dad. Will never change my intial.

8. diyakilight

diyakilight New IL'ite

I would like to change back to my maiden name after marriage. :biglaugh

9. coolphani

coolphani Bronze IL'ite

No, I don't like to change my last name after marriage.
    I haven't changed it.
    My DH tried to get it changed in my passport but I strongly opposed .
    I may sound very rude : But I feel like voicing my opinion
    I wouldn't change my last name for anything...Keeping it makes me feel more connected to my folks back home and I wouldn't change it for some old age tradition which discriminates between a male and female.
    Also my parents have been a great support throught my student life and my career here when I was almost on the verge of giving up and going back home (this was when I was single). Today I live a very good comfortable life here and have a very good career all because of them.I am very attached to my last name and I get very emotional when someone brings this topic into discussion:bonk

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. Orpi

Orpi New IL'ite

No, I really wouldn't change my surname no matter what. Even then, after my wedding, I casually asked my ILs about their opinion and they strongly urged me to keep my maiden name.
    I would like to add something more. I have noticed among several my friends that their maiden name do not have the surname of their father, just like me. I asked my mother that why is it so, and she replied that many fathers hold an opinion that as most girls eventually go and live with their in-laws and husband, they might sooner or later take the husband's name and thus "throwing the fathers name to dustbin"! I have asked several ladies about this disturbing assumption and they say it hardly matters to them. But I find it disturbing because in a family where there is a boy and a girl, the boy would get the father's surname but the girl wouldn't. It is outright discrimination!
    For this, sometimes I wonder is it still worth it to hold on to your own maiden name while it was always intended that you discard it as soon as you are married. Do you have such experience? What is your opinion?