1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy Diabetes Diet ??

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Selvi, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Recently found that I have gestational diabetes.. I am wondering what kind of food I can take.. I guess I have to reduce rice & sweets.. I have appointment with dietician this week , but would like to hear from you ladies..

Please let me know if u have any suggestions...

Thnx!!

:)

2. akshara

akshara New IL'ite

Follow a meal plan

Hi Selvi,

I am new to this site and my first message is the reply to you. I am happy that I am able to share something useful based on what I have heard, read and by experience.

You can easily control your blood sugar levels by following a meal plan. Do see your dietitian, he or she will be able to recommend diet suitably for you based on your weight, height and needs of your baby.

Practitioners generally advice pregnant ladies with gestational diabetes to follow a meal plan like three small to medium size meals and two to four snacks. Balance between meals and snacks.

Especially eat a good breakfast - because the sugar levels go out of range in the mornings. So increase your level of proteins intake and limit the level of carbohydrates intake (rice based tiffins, milk, cereals, fruit juices, etc.).

Eat high-fiber foods, for they take time to break down and be absorbed into the blood. Like peas, beans, legumes, etc. Limit beverages, soda and fruit juices, if possible avoid them totally for they contain simple sugars that get absorbed into blood easily. If you feel like having a beverage go in for decaffinated iced-tea.

Good luck with your pregnancy, keep cool and do not worry about anything much!

Warm wishes,
    Akshara

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thnx akshara!! Thanks for the suggestions and welcome to IL.

:)

4. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Try Low carb tortillas of La tortilla factory.They do wonders.

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Ladies congrats on your pregnancies. This topic has been discussed quite extensively in the pregnancy section. I've also given many sample diets to follow so please do check out.

6. papa07

papa07 New IL'ite

Hi pmahensa,
    I am in my 28th week.Recently found that I have gestational diabetes.very much worried about that.Is it normal.Or i need to take special care.U said this topic was discussed in the pregnancy section.I have searched for it.But i didn't find the link.I am new to IL.can u please post the link.Please do reply.

And i need suggestions from other IL's.
    Please let me know

Thanks in advance.

7. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Hey!

You should definitely read through this feature.

Pregnancy Diet: Eat Healthy during Pregnancy

It has got a whole list of foods and beverages that are good during this time for us mommies. I, for one, most definitely liked this detailed article. It will help me chalk out my diet plan better.

Also if you have gestational diabetes or high blood pressure - it tells you what to eat then.