1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

It is too heavy and my neck hurts. As a matter of fact, even a small chain hurts. I tried. I wear it pinned up, so that it doesn't cause my neck muscles to spasm and give way to a massive headache. Like the woman in the story earlier, I do always wear my wedding ring whether or not I wear my ms. However, I do not ridicule people following Indian customs or any customs for that matter as long as I am not forced to do what they do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. asara

asara New IL'ite

Hey,

I wear only mangalsutra/Thali...I don't wear toe rings coz when i wear shoes, i can't bear the pain when the fingers are close to each other...and no bindi when i wear western clothes and very rarely wear salwars (bindis on)..and no sarees at all......bangle or bracelet matching the dresses and during some festival occassions/Indian parties..and thats it..but i dont remove my thali as my DH is very firm about it and he doesn't like me removing it.

Regards
    Asara :)

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

My d.wife does not wear one, and I'm comfortable with that. Infact, I dont believe in these symbolic things too much.

4. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I feel like I should keep my identity as an Indian woman even if I am in US. I do wear my mangalstura, toe rings in western wear too. I do go to work like that.

In fact when I went to had some medical testing in hospital, the nurse asked me to wear the gown and remove the mangalsutra , then the Dr(Indian Doctor from Tamilnadu) asked me not to remove it and also said that "THE MANGALSUTRA IS NOT GOING TO BOTHER BUT INFACT WILL GIVE MORE POSITIVE POWER TO WOMAN, SO NO NEED TO TAKE IT OUT)
    I am just shocked and surprised to hear that from a Doctor. I am very pleased by that and thanked him.

Sujatha.

5. jayraj

jayraj New IL'ite

I do not wear mangalsutra, metti or bangles everyday for the following reasons.

- it gets uncomfortable whn worn for long hours
    - i like to wear jewellery that matches my outfit
    - Sometimes ethnic accessories do not go well with western outfits
    -my husband and i do not have any sentimental significance attached to it.

However i do wear it in front of inlaws, on social occasions or on festivals and puja days
    -My MIL requested i wear metti, bangles ( goes without saying the MS is a must). Its a small thing to do to keep and older woman happy.
    - Indian Social occasions and festivals or puja days- whatever said, the MS is an important part of our culture nd i dont want to totally forget it. somehow finery is not totally complete with the MS and the bindhi.

6. b86monica

b86monica New IL'ite

I don't wear neither of them(malgalsuthra,toe rings,bindhi etc..). I only wear these when I go to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India. </st1:place></st1:country-region>
    <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"></st1:place></st1:country-region>
    I wear jewellery that goes with my outfit. And my dh is ok with this:thumbsup

- Monica

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. kavitha nair 1

kavitha nair 1 New IL'ite

The thali on a gold chain and wedding ring has been on me eversince he put it.But no bangles,no bindi & no toe ring.

I have never worn bangles or bindi before marraige and after i wasnt very comfortable with these.So didnt persue it.Husband doesnt bother whether i wear any of these or not.

8. coolphani

coolphani Bronze IL'ite

I never wear my thali/mangalsutra . They are safe in the deposit box :)
    I am just not comfortable wearing them with any outfit.
    I don't put on a bindi unless I am dressed up in a saree or a chudidhar which rarely happens. Once In a while I put on a toe ring on my right toe because I have too many of them ,just like a fashion accessory. My DH is ok with this and it looks like it doesn't matter to him.
    I wore my engagement ring till my marriage and about 2 months after that . The bridal set (engagement ring + wedding band) for about two months after marriage and they are in the deposit box . It's 4 carats in total and I didn't want to loose them.
    I always wear a simple chain gifted by my sister or another chain gifted by my mom with a gold pendant set matching my outfit...and a simple gold bangle/bracelet on my left hand

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  9. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Even I don't wear Thali regardless of what dress i wear... It's safe in my locker..

After delivery, i have put on little weight..So stopped wearing wedding ring also....

My husband doesn't care either...:)

Love,
    Ansu

10. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Nope. I do not wear mangalsutra, metti or bindi normally. I never used to wear them back home in India too. My husband also does not wear any symbols of marriage like a ring or anything like that. So..We are fair.