West's perception of India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AakritiM65, Sep 11, 2009.

1. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

I am deeply amused with the perception of people in Western countries about India. I regularly watch American shows and what I have noticed is that most of them are respectful towards India as a country. The way their news anchors and TV hosts talk about India is very nice but many times very wrong too.

They presume people living in India to be either very intelligent or very poor. They think that either the people like Slumdog Millionaire or highly educated IT professionals. There is no middle class for them :rotfl

What are your views of about the perception of western countries about India.

2. jasminderkaur

jasminderkaur Senior IL'ite

Western countries, especially America ha always had wrong image of India. It is quite evident from the movie Slumdog as they only show Indians as poor and hungry people and those who aren't poor, are mean to the poor.

this is something like, we start thinking that all Americans are heroine and cocaine addicts....

3. monicrazy

monicrazy New IL'ite

Western countries are hardly aware about their own nation :rotfl According to a survey, a majority of American kids can't point out America on a map....

How do you expect them to know about India?

4. shahanakhan

shahanakhan New IL'ite

Is that true??? If it is then I think Americans should do something about it quickly.

Anyway, West has a very bad perception of almost every country in the world. According to them, Egypt is only about Pyramids, China is only about chinese food and people with bad english and Saudi Arabia only has rich arabs in burqas.

You can' change that.