1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instructions

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sunkan, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Geetha Gupta

Geetha Gupta New IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instruction

Hi Sunitha,

Thanks once again for all that effort to find that sleeve pattern for me.

I want to make one addition to that pattern.

The pattern in that link Flipkart.com: Techniques Of Drafting And Pattern Making: Padmavati B.: Books Buy Drafting And Pattern Making in India pg 57

is for a 2yr old baby. If we use the same measurements for an adult, it will result in a very loose sleeve. This is because a child’s garment needs more ease ie.. looseness to allow for growth than an adult garment. So the amount of ease for growth will decrease as a child grows.

Wearing ease and fashion ease will be according to the kind of garment being made. Comparatively, the saree blouse will have a tight armhole, a kameez will have a looser armhole and a nightie will require greatest ease.

I am attaching calculations for various sizes. - Armscye lengths.xls

But the book I am referring to is not very clear on some points. They will need checking out, as and when I stitch. These are my estimates.
    • This includes approx 1cm ease at the bicep, going by my calculations and the example from B.Padmavati's book.
    • That which is calculated seems appropriate for kameez. Go one size smaller for saree blouse and one size bigger for nightie.
    • Men’s garments are generally not so fitted. So they can have the same armscye length for all sizes. ( Thangam Subramaniam.) . In this book, I find some men’s patterns with Chest/4 – 1cm for the bicep. This seems reasonable.
    Cheers
    Geetha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instruction

hi geetha,

i could not view the doccument. Could u pls post it again?

3. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

Thanks for that sheet of measurements. I will look into and try them some time.
    I was not able to view your post so long although I could see in the thread list that you have posted but when I opened the thread, I could not see your post.

Thanks again.

4. Geetha Gupta

Geetha Gupta New IL'ite

Hi Sabari,

Thanks for your interest. My post is visible now.
    When you draft sleeves, do you use a constant chest/6 + 3/2" as bicep measurement/armhole length for all sizes and fit ?

Hi Sunitha,
    And what about you ? what do you use for Bicep measurement ?

Regards
    Geetha

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi geetha,

yes, i use chest/6+1" for armscye calculation. the fitting is decided by chest width- ch/ 4 for blouse and any formula u wish to for chudidhar and by the curve of armscye, which i have explained earlier. This formula is v. comfortable , be it a saree blouse [ tight garment] or a salwar / nightie [ loose fitting] . I have showed one nightie stitched by me also so as to clarify y'r doubt. Try it and u'll not ask me again.

for men's it is diferent. If i am right , it is ch/4-.5" [ not sure, need to check].

6. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

dussehra wishes to all.

7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar - Kameez, Chudidhar, Punjabi Dress Instructio

8. Geetha Gupta

Geetha Gupta New IL'ite

Hello everybody,

Happy Vijayadashami. Belated though. my computer was down yesterday.

Regards
    Geetha

9. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar - Kameez, Chudidhar, Punjabi Dress Instructio

Hi Sabari,

I was not able to view your post and hence this late reply. Well, I have not yet tried the sleeves.

In the meanwhile, I am attaching a Kameez that I finished sewing 2 days ago. I have attached a yolk with simple hand embroidery. The colors are used to match the colors in the printed salwar and the dupatta. I just set the stitch width to maximum in the sewing machine and made simple straight stitches in semi circular fashion. Then I have whipped these straight stitches with anchor stranded cotton threads of matching colors.

Please let me know your feedback.

Attached Files:

10. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

wow, wow, wow, sunitha . kannai parikkuthey! Thenk u so much for sharing as to how u did it. So, u said u had set the machinbe to max stitch width. What type of a decorative stitch is this - triple strength [ where u get an effect of a 3 strands of threads ] ? Though, it is a whipped stitch ,to me it looks like rick rack one. I meant to say that the effect is great.

The neckline is perfect. And, did u give piping for the sleeve? I am waiting to see the salwar pant too.

Can u share the pattern with us.?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009