Need clarification regarding Laproscopy and IUI

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Cindhuja, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

How effective is IUI (or Artificial insemination) ... Is this a very big treatment involving time and pain or how is this exactly...If at all insemination is an easy way through this process why do doctors suggest laproscopy???

Cost-wise too IUI is cheaper right??

Soembody clarify with this please.Thanks.

2. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Hi Cindhuja,

Lap is mainly done to identify the blockage in tubes,endometirum abonormalities,uterine fibroids,scar tissues,ovarian drilling for PCO and other unnamed abnormnalities if there are any.

Lap before an IUI is considered very good since it rules out the possibilities of abnormalities,if there are any.It will clear the tubes and uterus.

Hence lap before an IUI is must.Dont hesitate if your Gynaec has asked for it.

IUI is a very simple process and not at all painful(0%).You will be given tablets/injections for first 14 days of your cycle and follicular study(Transvaginal ultrasound) will be done to access your follicular profile.Once the follicle reaches its desired size(great if it is >20 mm in size),doctor will perform an IUI.Your DH is required to provide a semen sample and it is processed and washed in Andrology lab and only the best candidates(sperms) are qualified for IUI.Then the semen solution(Processed) will be taken in a catheter and this catheter will be pushed to your vagina.It is not at all painful.

I have not done IUI.I have seen and heard it from my friends.

IUI is very cheap around 3k I guess.Lap charges vary widely across the hospitals.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you want more details.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi RG,

thanks for the detailed reply. As per our reports and scan everything is normal. PH level alone is bit high, so reduce it my gnec has prescribed me few tablets and has given me 2 months time. if at all tehre is a delay in conceiving after 2 months, she asked to go for Laprascopy. I have no other issues like PCO or overweight or irregular cycles. So she said this delay might be due to PH level difference or sometimes the opening of the uterus might be small blocking the sperm to enter or chances of some blocks in tubes, which can be rectified through laproscopy.She gave me a positive reply by all means. SO i'm now bit relaxed. Meantime heard about IUI, so got confused why IUI is not preferred instead of Lap.Anyways you have given me a clear explanation.thanks a ton.

praying to god, that everything should go smooth with the tablets itself instead of all these lap and IUI process...Hoping for the best

Thanks once again RG.Have a nice day.

4. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dear RG

thanks for giving simple and clear explanation..
    i also having doubts for these two things..
    now clear.. i haven't gone to any treatment for TTC so far..
    will start from sept (after complete my 48 days pooja)

Dear Cindhuja,

Don't worry paa... Everything will be fine !
    JUST HAVE FAITH IN GOD...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one Raji.... Good explanation....

Hey Cindhuja,
    Hope your confusion got cleared now!
    Take healthy diet!
    Baby dust to you....

6. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi bambli,malar and vasumathy,

thanks a lot for your wishes...now i am really clear.My hearty wishes to all of you too.

take care all.

Regards,
    Cindhuja.

8. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the compliments Bambli & Vasumathy...Iam excited!!!:)

Thanks Malar for providing additional details...

Good Luck to all of you!

9. sandhyavr

sandhyavr New IL'ite

dear sindhuja,
    iui is not at all painful. it is not as expensive as ivf but it is expensive considering the amount to be paid to the doctors and the lab charges and also for the follicular study. but don't get disheartened. i conceived my first child through iui. i got it done in appollo by dr.sarat in 2001. it used to cost me around 3000 rupees a month if the procedure went ahead. like all otehr fertility procedures you have to be having lots of patience.all the best.
    sandhya