Rajasthani Jewellery

Discussion in 'Western India' started by ishanisharma, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

Hi Friends, I bought some beautiful jewelery from my recent trip to Jaipur. In the process, I came across some fascinating facts, which I'd like to share with you all.

2. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for this great info. I'm a great fan of Rajasthani jewellery, especially the Meenakari ones. I believe they are worth a treasure. Can you please tell us more about it. Is it a predominant industry in Rajasthan and which part of Rajasthan are they made?

Take care,
    Queenie

3. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Jewelry with Meena is a special category of Rajasthani Jewelry. Meena means enameling work. Gold and silver Jewelries are enameled to enhance beauty of the same. Jewelers produce variety of Jewelry with enamel in different places of the world. Indian enameling work is entirely different from those of <st1:country-region><st1:place>France</st1:place></st1:country-region> or <st1:country-region><st1:place>Turkey</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

In <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> Kundan Jadau and Meena Jewelry, generally, enameling work is done in the backside and it is called ek posta meena. Sometimes, it is in the front side too and then it is called do posta. The artisans engrave beautiful flowers, leaves, birds and animals in the gold plate and then enamel the same .

Jaipur, <st1:city><st1:place>Bikaner</st1:place></st1:city>[FONT=&quot] and Sardarshahar are the main places in Rajasthan for Meenakari work.[/FONT]

4. bharti

bharti Silver IL'ite

thanks for the information gals..... i just love the kundan and meena jewellery soooo much!!!!

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

thanks for these info posted dear,i really love the meenakari works.

6. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Here is some more display of how beautiful rajasthani jewellery is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely isnt it..??

7. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

Wow loveleen, those are really beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Do you know a good place where we can get Rajasthani Jewellery in Delhi? I mean authentic ones.

Thanks in advance.

Sanjana
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Hey Sanjana...

You can find some rajasthani jewellery in these places...

Art and Handicraft Library
    Suppliers of contemporary rajasthani painting, decorative rajasthani painting, rajasthani wall painting and other products such as rajasthani jewellery, thewa jewellery, marble artifacts, safas, turbans, wooden jewellery boxes etc.
    Address: K 108-109, Laxmi Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi - 110 001, India

<table border="0" bordercolor="#d1e5ff" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="468"><tbody><tr><td align="left" bgcolor="#d1e5ff" valign="top" width="224"> Rajasthan Jewellers
    WZ-628,Shop 23, Palam Colony,
    New Delhi-45
    Tel:+91-11- 25084552
    </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="#d0b8f7" valign="top" width="223"> Sri Jagdamba Jewellers [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT] 85, Syndicate Mkt., P-1, Palam Colony , Delhi-45
    Tel:
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="224"> </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="223"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#d0b8f7" valign="top" width="224"> Jaipur Jewellers
    118, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S[/FONT]yndicate Mkt., P-1, Palam Colony,N. Delhi
    Tel: +91-11- 25086404
    </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="#d1e5ff" valign="top" width="223"> Ambika Jewellers
    RZ-213B, Street No. 2, Sadh Nagar, Palam Colony, Delhi-35
    Tel: +91-0- 9818153199</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="224"> </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="223"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#d1e5ff" valign="top" width="224"> S.K. Jewellers
    WZ-52, Ram Chowk, St. No. 2, Palam Colony, N.Delhi-45
    Tel: +91-11- 2
    4918769</td> <td align="left" bgcolor="#d0b8f7" valign="top" width="223"> S.Kumar Jewellers
    D-58, Hari Nagar, Ghandhi Mkt., N.Delhi-35
    Tel: +91-11-
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="224"> </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Happy Shopping...:)

9. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Rajasthani Jewellery has always been loved and appreciated the world over for its unique ethnicity, bejeweled look and master craftsmanship. You have been familiar mostly with polki, meenakari and kundan jewellery. Have you even seen another unique piece of art namely Thewa?

Thewa: For all who haven't seen & would like to know...

Thewa is a traditional art of fusing 23ct gold with multi colored glass to create a unit. This technique of making Thewa is in complete mystery as to it's making the artisans of Thewa follow a patriarchal method of practicing the art for fear of divulging family secrets to their daughters and daughter-in-laws as a result the legacy is carried forward from father to son only. This unique art originated in 17th century under the patronage of Maharaja Samant Singh

Thewa artists prepare elaborate setting in gold wire in canetille style enameling minakari on it. After the process of patterning sheet of pure gold, the sheet is fused on to colored glass, known as 'Tharana' on onwards the silver wires are being framed known as' wada'. Finally it is flamed in fire taking the shape of ornament. Earlier only red, blue, green colored precious stones, diamonds, emerald were used in this art but know it is intricate on yellow, black and pink colored precious glasses too.

Now-a-days jewellery made in Thewa Art is attaining popularity amongst consumers and expanding it scope with passage of time because of its unique sparkle.Earlier, Thewa art was mostly used to carve folk stories on boxes, plates, dishes etc, However, now pendants, earrings, ties, brooches, photo frames of this art are also in trend.

Attached Files:

10. nnarmadha

nnarmadha Platinum IL'ite

WOW. Not able to move my eyes from jewellery..Such an excellent collection..

Am erally worrying..If anybody help me in getting me these kind of jewels to me.. Am in chennai..SO, pls someone help me in this..

Is it possible to buy some and send it to me..?