1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest if this is good

Discussion in 'Baby Sitting / Day Care' started by Sujimallige, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,

I have been searching a baby sitter for my kid.Actually i wanted someone(indian or american) to come to my house and take care of her but after all these days of searching i found an indian lady who stays close to my house who takes care of the kids in her apartment.

If any of you have made use of such arrangements pls let me know if this is safe,like the fire hazard and stuff.

What do you feel,should i do some more search and wait for someone who will come to my house or can i try this out.
    Pls pls help with your experience.
    Really want some help here.

suji

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Suji

I feel if you have someone coming to your house or staying with you will be better so that your child will get more attention.See what others tell you also.

love
    viji

3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Thanks viji for the response.
    Even i feel someone coming home is better than leaving her at other place as i am a stay at home mom.But am not able to find anybody yet.
    I am still in a lot of dilemma.

Ladies,why nobody else has responded.I see that many of you use day care and sitters,pls suggest some +ve and -ve points.

suji

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi suji,
    I have no personal experience.What is the role of baby sitter at home?I mean you want to go out leaving your kid with her or you will also be along with her doing other activities?
    i dont find any thing wrong in separate home sitter.You can enquire the other parents of the kids.

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. I send my child to a daycare, have sent him to a home-based daycare before. I have also used a sitter who came to my house when my child was sick/in-between daycares.

I have always preferred sending my child to a good certified caregivers home primarily because it is good for the child to be with other kids - else you are really dependent on the sitter to constantly entertain him/her. I don't see anything wrong with a home based daycare (home or apt) - personally a bigger home may be better because there is more space and it won't be crammed. Do visit the house to make sure how the area for children is, understand how the children spend their time, ask for references etc. A good professional will be able to give you more than one reference. Call them and talk to them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Suji

There are a few unanswered questions like are how old is your kid? Are you working/planning to start work? Why would you prefer a baby sitter over day care? Do you have time to wait? Without these questions anwered, it is difficult to offer an opinion.

I have left my son with a baby sitter in her home. She was an Indian, her home was impeccably kept, she was able to bond very well with my son( with sever stranger anxiety ) even in our first visit. These were the criterias that made us choose her. And subsequently when we left him there, she ensured he was well fed, clean and dry all the time and stimulated him as well and talked about my son's day when I picked him up. She was taking care of 3 other kids, which because of my son's age then, helped his social skills.

Good luck with your hunt....!

-Gayathri.

7. jelaja

jelaja New IL'ite

Hi,

I have also left my son with a baby sitter in her home ever since he was 12 months (now he is 34 months). We used to provide all the food, snacks and fruits along with milk and water for him from our house together with 4-5 diapers and 3 sets of clothes. She gave him a bath twice a day and ensured he ate his food and gave us complete report of his daily activities.

There were 4 other children a little older to him who came in the afternoon after school. So he had friends to play in the evening. Now for the last 5 days I am sending him to a nursery with day care facilities so he is there from morning till evening, just to prepare him to go to school. He is comfortable here in the new atmosphere as well.

Personally I feel this has helped my son to socialize better and exhibits better understanding when we site examples of other children and give explanations to him as to why something has to be done only that way.

Give a try for some time, if you are not completely satisfied you can always look out for someone better with whom you feel there is a good rapport.

Best Wishes,
    Jelaja

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009