progestrone test after IUI

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by hoping4best, Jun 23, 2009.

1. hoping4best

hoping4best New IL'ite

hi.

i had my first IUI done on 20th and 21st June. am also taking progestrone suppliments 10mg twice daily.

i was just suffering the net and found that many ladies go for progestrone level check 6 days after IUI. my docyor has not asked me for any such test. .:spin

may i ask why this test is done and does it indicate that one is more or less likely to get pregnant? also won't progestrone suppliments effect the test result? what are acceptable limits of progestrone.

thank you for your support

2. padma09

padma09 New IL'ite

Hi hoping4best,

I joined this forum to get you out of your tension and to give you lots of hope:)

Progesterone test is usually done around 7 days after expected ovulation date to check if ovulation has occured or not. This test will also be done along with HCG level test once you miss your period to confirm if pregnancy has occured or not.

In case of IUI, this test may not be necessary since you would have already been monitored with ultrasound for follicle development. Also if you had taken Ovidrel/HCG shot, that would trigger the release of egg. So in IUI cycle, it is not necessary to have progesterone level tested.

In my case, when I was only on Clomid (without IUI), my OB/GYN did progesterone test 7 days after OPK showed positive. My progesterone level came back indicating that I ovulated. But eventhough I ovulated, I did not get pregnant in my three clomid cycles.

Finally, I had my IUI in April and my RE did not do progesterone test within the next two weeks. I was also on 200 mg oral progesterone supplements. I had my progesterone test done 16 days after IUI when I missed my period. And I was very happy and relieved that my progesterone and HCG levels came back indicating that I was pregnant. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and praying that everything should continue to go well further!

So don't bother yourself about the progesterone test and keep your hopes up for the next two weeks. Good luck!

Padma

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Padma,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum. You can find our forum guidelines here....

Congrats on you pregnancy! Take care. Baby dust to you...

Thanks for the information on Progesterone test!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. hoping4best

hoping4best New IL'ite

hi.

thank you so much pudma for joining the forum to relieve my confusion. it so nice of you. and the information you gave is also very useful.

5. padma09

padma09 New IL'ite

Hi hoping4best,

Glad to be of help! Let me know if you have any further question. Take rest and don't strain much. Also keep praying. Good luck!

Hi Vasumathy,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Padma

6. sameena

sameena New IL'ite

Hi Padma,

thanks for all the info that u shared, i too am trying to get preggy bt no luck yet. Hv been married for almost 8yrs now. had 2 IUI's done bt no luck. Wil be doing again this mnthly cycle. My follicle does not grw until i take CLOMID. Hope it works this time.

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sameena,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum... If you haven't gone through forum guidelines, here it is...
    Sorry about your failed IUI! Many women have shared their happy news even after 10 years of married life... So, don't loose hope... Be positive... Continue your treatments, that will give you the lovable fruit...

Clomid can be taken for continuous 6 cycles. Most gynecs suggests this tablet as it has given success to many. Hope you will reach the success soon...

Baby dust to you...

8. padma09

padma09 New IL'ite

Hi Sameena,

Sorry to hear about your failed IUI cycles. Don't lose hope! Clomid + IUI can do miracles. Please continue with your treatments. Clomid has been in use for many years and so there should be no fear of taking it for 6 cycles under proper monitoring by the doctor.

Even for a normal cycle, the pregnancy rate is only 20% per cycle. With clomid+IUI, it can go up if there are multiple follicles. Definitely there is higher chance for success. Be positive and all the best for this cycle.

Eat healthy food and take complete rest on the days that you go for IUI.