1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Brown rice

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Nalini, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Nalini

Nalini New IL'ite

Hi
    I want to try brown rice since its more healthy. Can you tell me which brand is good. Once when i tried, ( i dont remember the brand) though how long i cooked, it wasnt good. Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
    nalini

2. pumkin

pumkin New IL'ite

Hi,

'Nirapara' rice is good.Check for palakkadan matta brown rice categories.Its good.

Hope this helps.

Pumkin

3. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Have you tried in costco there you get brown basmathi rice. My friend buys from Trader joes which is good too.

To cook brown rice what I do is I soak it for half an hour then keep it in my cooker for 2 whistles (depends on cooker) it comes out good.
    You can also cook in rice cooker also but you need to add more water.

Hope this helps.

4. soumyasen

soumyasen New IL'ite

Hey nalini,

I buy brown rice from costco. I din't try from other stores. While cooking brown rice you need to take 1:3 ratio. I cook the same way in rice cooker and i am satisfied.

5. Nalini

Nalini New IL'ite

Thanks Pumpkin, Shwetha and Sowmya. Costco will carry only huge quantity. So to start with let me try with Trader Joes. Thanks for the ratio and the instructions. It surely will help me.

Thanks
    nalini

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Is brown rice better than sonamasoori/ponni raw rice.I thought it tastes better for fried rice/pulav.Can it be used it for day to day cooking.

7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Parboiled brown rice is the staple food of most Keralites :)

Nalini, you may find small packs (i think 4 lbs, around $6) of parboiled brown rice in Coconut Hill in Sunnyvale. I used to buy these small packs and 20lbs bags from there. You get double horse or nirapara brands in 20lbs bags. Both are good.

Cooking parboiled rice takes much longer than normal basmati or sona masoori rice. It has to be pressure cooked with double the quantity of water till one or two whistles. Tastes good, so its worth a try!!

Forgot to mention, if there is excess water after cooking, you might have to strain it out. I never bothered to try any other brown rice than the Kerala matta rice, so have no clue on the cooking time and process.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I am using UNCLE BEN'S brand brown rice , I am getting in Indian stores where I live(CT), I cook it in electric rice cookeer(bought it in costco) which has brown rice option button, so it cooks slowly and thus rice comes out smooth and fine.

Sujatha