1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Low iron level

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Riyasmommy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Raj:
    Those stool softeners are over the counter and made from veg extract...it not a drug. They are often recommended for pregnant women, old people, etc but always you should check with your doc. I am not into pills either but if diet is not effective it is a next step.

2. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Riya,
    Try to consume lots of fresh methi bhaji. Its full of iron the natural way.
    Chop a lot of garlic and a little green chilli. Heat pure ghee and do baghaar with garlic and chilli. Then add chopped methi and stir fry quick. Eat with hot phulkas.
    Try to drink lassi or eat yogurt, since you are taking iron supplements.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Tina, I am not into pills either, would avoid them as much as I can, but like you said, just the diet is not going to as effective at this point. In the infants forum, a couple moms suggested Floradix, so if the pills make me uncomfortable, I may look into that. They said it's a plant based alternative to the pills.

libra4164, I don't get methi here where I live, and the closest Indian store is 40 mintues away, but thanks for your suggestion. :)

Raj

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I recommend floradix as well, available at whole foods. My friend is a practicing naturopath and traditional chinese medicine / ayurveda certified and she told me it was safe enough to give to my 10 month old.

5. sarithag

sarithag New IL'ite

Hi mangai,

Thats a helpful Pdf .My hair is falling too much now-a-days and I think it is b'coz of iron deficiency.Have to check with a doctor.

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hey Raj,
    Plant based means the source of iron is from plants and not from animals and body can absorb easily.At the end of the day what is matters is how much your body can absorb .
    Thanks
    Mangai

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Mangaii, isn't it the other way around.. iron from animal sources (Heme iron) are more absorbable than the one from plant sources (Non-Heme)?

Raj

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Dear Raj,

do try having a handful of bean sprouts followed by a fruit every day morning for breakfast.u should drink water after a gap of 15 mins or so.this advise was given to my mil by her doc when she was diagonised with low iron levels.and she recovered back completly in 2 months.along with this she consumed 2 figs soaked in water early in the morning and also in the evening.

hope this helps.

raji

10. orangesandlemon

orangesandlemon New IL'ite

low iron level in the blood causes anemia.so the person suffering from anemia should take diet rich in iron such as green leafy vegetables,beet root etc