1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

A questionaire to Indian women settled in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even i support sunitha .
    Pushpa,
    Why dint you ask about metti and thaali.
    Why dont indians in US wear it ? is this some kind of accessory which we can remove when we dont feel like it ? isnt it a symbol of our love ?
    When americans themselves are wearing their wedding/engagement ring forever, why dont we wear our thaali/mangalshuthra ?

Can someone explain whats happening ? I cannot ask this question to anyone known to me. answer me friends..

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sharada,
    I like your attitude and the way you approach life. Uprooting a family time and again is very difficult. We have to make the best of living and be truthful to one's self.
    Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to answer,
    Love,
    PS

3. geeti

geeti Senior IL'ite

Yes Pushpa I agree with you there are people who only believe in showing off, in my eyes they are "LOSERS!!" :thumbsdown:eek

To be honest I have met one of "this kind" and it became suffocating for me and my hubby to spend 5 min with them bonk.

Ciao!!:cheers

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli mam
    1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? Both my sons love indian food. specially hot and spicy. ofcourse they get their quota of pasta etcs....

Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?
    thrice daily. we cannot live without our sambar, vathakuzhambus, thayir sadam and orugais.
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?no mostly wear salwars, but do wear western clothes if i go trekking etc..
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? Yes without fail . also wear my thali ...
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? Yes definitely but will be there to guide them
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things? No not all only buy stuff if needed
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children? yes
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?Yes if they want to. i would rather they do it openly than secretly
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?only for kids birthdays and small scale only
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?After 15 years in the US we relocated back to India last july and am happy to say that my kids have fit right in and are having a whale of a time here. and yes they have picked up tamil, hindi kanada int he short time. they do miss US and we will be coming for holidays.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Vandhana,
    It is really great that after staying in Us for 15 years you relocated to India. In my opinion children are enjoying more freedom in India than children in US. Wish you and your family all the best!
    Love,
    PS

6. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpamma,
    Nice questionaire,
    1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? For Breakfast mostly cereal, bagel bread. Lunch is mixed rice, pasta sandwich or noodles for kids. for us roti subji or rice. For dinner all of us eat indian food.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day? Twice.
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out? For work western, at home, to parties and temple indian clothes.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? Always. thali and metti too! i dont take it out anytime.
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? Yes, will definitely allow them to choose. But will be there to guide them.
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things? No, only what is needed and what is economically and environmentally good.
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children? yes we talk to them in tamil.
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? I am open, but will definitely guide them to make a good choice( keep putting it in their mind as what they can choose, so that i can approve!!!!)
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year? only kids
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India? Would definitely love to return. dont know when though!! I love to go back, hubby and kids r rooted here!
    Aparna

7. saheli08

saheli08 New IL'ite

Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? mine is an infant, but I intend to feed her anything nutritious and healthy be it indian or western.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?mostly yes, once.

3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?yes , except to temples.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?no
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?NA
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?no
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?yes
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?yes, when time is right.
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?I wish i could ..........I love having people over and spending time with friends.
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?no
    Dear Ilites,
    There is no compulsion to answer. You can freely post your opinion regarding this questionarie even if you do not want to answer.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Aparna,
    Thanks a lot for answering. You are really blessed to have a broad view and to have children who are good at studies as well as music. When children grow up in a place they naturally would like to stick to that place.
    Love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Saheli,
    Thank you for sparing time and answering. May God fullfil your wish and Bless you and your family with a happy and contented life!
    Love,
    PS

10. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? No,but they include this in their diet .no we have every thing else.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?yes,thrice a day.Yes every day.
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?No,Not by preference-but during winter we have no option left.Right I love salwar kameez but for the clod I prfer pants.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? No only to temple.
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on heir own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?No they choose their own
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?No
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?No english
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?yes but set guidelines.
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?Only kids Birthday
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?yes

May i know what is the intention of the questionaire?
    I also want to know?

[/quote]