Cook with Green Leaves

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Prema, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Hi Friends !!!

I was just thinking..... why dont we share recipes that we can use green leafy vegetables as the main ingredient???? I dont know if anyone had already started this thread, but this is something which I had not come across.

Prema

2. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

It has been long since I started this thread and no posts so far... so let me start posting. Since Iam a South Indian (Andhra), so let me start posting Andhra Recipes first. Here comes authentic Gongura Pachadi without which Andhra Cusine is incomplete.

Ingredients:

Gongura : 5 Bundles ( It is probably called Red Sorrel Leaves or Ambad Bhaji or Ambada..... each leaf is divided into 5's like a star...)
    Dry red Chillies : 2 handsfull
    Methi Seeds : 1 Tsp
    Dhania : 1 Tb Sp
    Garlic : Pods of one bulb
    Oil : 5Tbsp
    Mustard Seeds : 1 Tsp
    Slit Urad Dl : 1 Tsp
    Hing : 1/4 Tsp
    Salt : As per taste

Method:

Pluck the leaves from the stems, wash and dry on a cloth in shade if you want the pachadi to stay for a longer peroid else, you can just wash and start the procedure.
    Chop the leaves and keep aside.
    Add one drop of oil and fry the methi seeds, Dhania seeds and dry red chillies. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
    Add 1 Sp of oil and fry the chopped gongura leaves, keep mixing add salt after the leaves are shrinked.Keep mixing and lighly mash with a laddle till the moisture evaporates. Put off the flame and add the redchilli, methi and dhania powder and mix well.
    Heat oil in another pan, add the spit urad dal, mustard seeds when the seeds splutter add the garlic pods and hing. Add this seasoning to the Gongura leaves mixture. Let it cool to room temperature. Store in container.

Serving : Mix with hot rice and til oil.

Note : Spice levels may vary depending on the chillies and individual choice. Since the leaves are sour to taste, slightly more spicy would taste good.

Hope you would try this recipe and give feedback to me and also try to post more on Greens.

Prema

3. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi Prema,

Very nice and healthy thread you have started.

I would like to share Palak Paratha.

Ingredients:

Finely chopped palak-1 Bunch
    whole wheat flour-2 cups
    red chili powder-2 tsp
    green chili finely chopped-1
    garam masala powder-1 tsp
    jeera-1 - 2 tsp
    salt According to taste
    oil-2 tsp

Method:

Mix the Flour and palak in a bowl.Add all other ingredients. Add water to the mixture and make a dough out of it so that you can roll it out. Knead the dough well and set aside for about 1/2 an hour. Now you can make
    small balls out of the dough and roll it .Heat a tava over medium high and put the rolled out paratha. Enjoy it with Rayta,Pickle or Ketchup.

Hope you would like it.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame