1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In search of solitude!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In search of solitude

Whenever someone attempts a near-impossible task, it is customary to deride him saying he could be better off trying to count the stars in the sky. Counting the stars in the sky has somehow become the benchmark for the ultimate impossibility. I too had pledged my faith in this time-honoured benchmark until I visited my toilet this morning.

I am not one of those keenly observant chaps but I’ll certainly pass muster as an above average one in that category. So when I entered the bathroom this morning with the last traces of sleep still clinging to my eyes, I observed it trying to enter the crevice between the wall and the washbasin. I call it ‘it’ because I have never seen anything like it in all my 70 plus years of eventful life. Maybe some hyperactive biologist had sighted it before me and had even given it a tongue-twisting name like Drosophila melanogaster but I must unashamedly confess that I was totally clueless about it. It was small, about half an inch in length, hairier than Sean Connery of his James Bond days and with eyes protruding like antennae. If it had been 4 feet long instead of a mere half an inch, I would have sworn that it was from Mars or some other planet whence such aliens usually visit our planet.

I was telling you about counting the stars in the sky being the accredited benchmark of ultimate impossibility but after sighting of this creature in my bathroom for the first time in my life, I realized that counting the living beings on this planet would be an equally awesome task. Imagine living here for 70odd years and continuing to encounter new species of living things! I just could not take my eyes off this new creature for quite a while, not because it was an Aiswarya Rai of the insect world but because I was lost in thoughts.

Talking of human beings, we are told that every one of us is here for a purpose though most of us kick the bucket even before realizing that purpose. I am sure that the same law applies to other beings as well and not even a blade of grass exists on earth without a purpose. But alas, only the Creator knows the purpose and He is very tight-lipped about it! Look heavenwards for clarification and mum is the word from there. Looking at this strange creature trying desperately to force its way into the crevice behind the washbasin, I pursed my lips in doubt if it could ever have a purpose in its life. Even if it had one, I knew that it was looking for it at the wrong place. A crevice in the wall could hardly be a place to seek the purpose of one’s life, I thought.

Forget the purpose of life and all that esoteric introspection. I had more on my mind actually. Since I had never seen such a creature ever before, I presumed that it belonged to a place where I had never set foot before. That leaves me only with some remote area in Lahul-Spiti valley and Meghalaya. If this creature had crawled all the way from such a remote location leaving all his kith and kin, that left us with a lot of intriguing questions. Everyone knows that the tendency of every living thing is to stay close to its kith and kin for obvious reasons. The moment it strays away from its stock, it becomes an easy prey to the dangers of life. What could have been the pressing reason for this particular creature to stray totally out of sight of its kith and kin to take sojourn in my bathroom? If it was one of those mystics who traveled long distances in search of the Ultimate Truth, then why did it come to the crevice in my bathroom? If its intention was to attain Nirvana, the only nirvana that could be possible there was physical and not spiritual!

If this creature was in search of solitude, its long voyage could be understandable. Even I, a mere human being, have longed for solitude of a permanent nature. Have you noticed something there? Seekers of solitude merely avoid being in the company of their own species. They find the chirping of birds and other sounds of nature as very soothing and conducive to their meditative solitude but one human voice is enough to throw them out of gear! Naturally so because a human can be bored only by another human and not by a bird or animal or a tree. A bore, as you ought to know, is a person who robs you of your solitude without providing you company. Viewed in this context, the creature’s journey from wherever it originated to my bathroom was quite understandable. I became aware of yet another significant fact. If this creature could come traveling half the country in search of solitude, there must be far bigger bores in its community than among humans! Having been in search of solitude on many an occasion in the past, I could understand the feelings of this strange creature and left it undisturbed.

As I left the bathroom in a reflective mood, I just wondered if this creature’s kith and kin back home would be missing it or thinking of it disappearance as good riddance!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    3 people like this.

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

My guess would be that "it" has its kin & kith somewhere really nearby... may be its whole family very close & if it was me in your shoes I'd be mentally calculating where the nearest can of Raid was in my house irrespective of whether it fulfilled its life purpose or not!!!! :rotfl
    Can't help but think that way...we have some 400 odd creepy crawlies in the state I'm in. :shock: Well ain't it called the survival of the fittest?!

That aside, a very cool write up of what I would've already squished as a matter of reflex!!!

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya
    You have sparkling wit sir ! A wonderful article.
    I loved that bit about the creature wanting to escape a community of bores ! I entirely empathise with it !
    Now you have set me tapping my head, wondering what riddles of life "it" was searching for in the bathroom crevice ! And who its kith and kin are.

Manickavasagar says in Sivapuranam:

"Pullagi puthai puzhuvaagi maramaagi
    palvirugamaagi paravaiyai paambaagi
    kallai manitharai peyaai ganangalaai
    Vallasuraraai munivaraai thevaraai,"

we all take so many incarnations. So, who knows "it" was not a forefather , fondly visiting to see how the progeny is doing !

Regards
    VS

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

You dazzle, sir! Not an easy task in an all ladies site! I loved your definition of a 'bore'. And enjoy how you flit between ideas in your writing. Nice read with my sunday cuppa.

regards
    Vidya

5. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    It's good to see someone who is so practical but there is a danger that we may miss out on the lovely little mysteries of life by being ruthlessly practical. But I do understand your antipathy towards insects being domiciled in a place infested with such creatures. :)
    cheeniya

6. Cheeniya

That stanza of Sivapuranam is my greatest favourite . Its profundity amazes me. I consider it as the quintessence of the Theory of Evolution!
    How is it that I did not think of it as a possible reincarnation of an ancestor? Maybe because I did not think of that noble thought of Manickavasagar in the reverse! Still, to be honest with you, if only that thought had crossed my mind, I would have offered my obeisance to it!
    cheeniya

7. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    That definition of a bore is not mine. It is accredited to Gian Vincenzo Gravino but I would have in any case come up with it even if he had not said it!:)
    cheeniya

8. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    To the oriental mind, there is no linear theory of progressive evolution.
    If I dont give water to a thirsty man, I will reincarnate as a lizard. Some other vice can send me into the body of a creepycrawly.( I lost my copy of Garuda Puranam) And there are always those crows coming for the pindams. Who knows what-who-where-how related !:shock:

Regards
    VS

P.S. I am vegetarian

9. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

That is a well written artiicle. Your conception of "it" looking for solitude and trying to get away from its kith and kin is very entertaining.
    That said. I would have got raid too, or just swatted him...like Lavanya.
    May be It should have registered himself in IL and get his solitude here. I do...

Regards,
    Jothi.

VS,

Your idea of It being an ancestor visiting his progeny is intriguing.

Jothi.

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

This morning having lost in a round of arguement with Vish, I really was in a mood of sky-gazing to relax my mind ( note, not star counting). When Chennai is roasted under 41 deg F, how could I possibly sky-gaze? So I decided to do something interesting and started browsing through the first few of your articles. Oh, The search of Solitude! - the title appeared apt to my mind at that juncture. So I just started reading it, expecting some peace of mind !

Oh, Sri, how could I ever imagine it was about the adventure of a creepy creature? Well, your language is too good in this and you have literally "made a mountain out of a molehill" in your inimitable way.

Let me ask you - did you for a second pause to think, how you would have appeared in the eyes of the creature? It would have thought that a Rakshasa was around and it may be stamped any minute ! It would have been thinking that you may be belonging to the Megamaxia Dracula species, if there exists one. The creature would have sent a quick prayer for survival without knowing that you were understanding & had no intentions of disturbing the "nirvana".
    When you left the bathroom, without disturbing it, the creature would have thought "thank God, the monster has gone away - good riddance & I am saved" !

Love,
    Chithra.