1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That Growth Zone!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

The doorbell rings. It is midmorning and we are getting ready to eat lunch. Everyone at home looks at one another. Who could it be? Especially now? You know, my only Indian neighbor has the habit of dropping in unannounced quite often and much to my delight. We usually sit and enjoy a cup of South Indian coffee as we catch up with each other’s lives and gossip a little about the neighborhood. The only downside is, she has a knack of showing up on days the dishes are not done in my kitchen. Every single time! Go figure! I don’t know how, but she always knows when my sink is full and simply shows up on those days! Now of course, on occasion when the sink is indeed full, I smile and instead of clearing it, get ready to make some nice south Indian coffee for her. I do after all like chit chatting with her and she on her part has learnt to ignore my sink, over the years. But in the past few days when I leave the sink full on occasion, all I can do is sigh, look across the street longingly and go ahead and load the dish washer. I am not enjoying this clean kitchen as much I tell you!

So, the doorbell kind of took us by surprise. These days, even packages are quietly left by the door and we all know the expected delivery dates and even time anyways. If you are wondering at how our faces looked like when the bell rang, you should have seen Toby - reaching the door in a jiffy from the second floor, wagging his tail fervently making me worry if it is going to fall off, trying to sniff the person out he was crazy happy! I open the door. Of course, the person who rang the bell is almost at the end of the driveway, so I step out and realize, mulch!

The cool breeze is too tempting and all those white flowers showering down reminding us of snowflakes off the bradford pears is too beautiful to step back inside and close the door. I decide to sit on the porch and slowly the dog is out to sit by me sniffing the air looking at me thankfully for just sitting there. Every now and then, I see a person walking a dog, kids zooming by on a bike or an occasional couple that I had never seen before walk by. I see that the newborn is not well, so small or new anymore and is running around their yard! I know I have been getting tidbits of news through messages - an elderly neighbor passing on, another new baby arriving, a house on sale and what not! But, sitting outside watching the happenings I can’t help but wonder. Where does time go and who are these people? Where were they all hiding? I am surprised. I miss one on one interactions.

Life these days is indeed confuzzling - confusing and puzzling like my students say anytime they do not understand something that I am teaching - we miss the human touch, the joy of laughing with friends or even strangers, sharing news and hugging one another, getting together. There is still the joy, the sadness, the plants, the birds, the skies, people and happenings – life seems to go on, only in individual bubbles. Who can understand us better than another human? But the truth is, we all know that this difficult time too shall pass! As I think of this phase of life in all our lives, I am reminded of the post that is making rounds in the current situation, yes again on social media –

upload_2020-4-9_8-18-24.png

Courtesy – facebook post

I am sure all of us go living through these zones at different points and not necessarily in that order even, but all of us must remember to continue to be in the growth zone as much as we can.

Come to think of it, being in that growth zone is the way to live! Even if we have parked ourselves in the other two zones (especially the first one) more often than we realize, I am sure we have been in that growth zone as well, more often than we realize! Perhaps you assured a loved one, stopped to say hello and chitchatted with a total stranger while driving by, lifted the spirits of a friend, helped a neighbor, stayed cheerful so that your family feels optimistic and joyful. Perhaps a friend texted you and lifted your spirits, a stranger said a good word. I don’t know! But striving to be in that growth zone.…….…is not a bad idea at all; so that we may all give and receive gracefully in turn!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2020

2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

DearSrama,
    I also went through the zone wise goals/objectives.I have two observations.Forty years back there was an article in Readers Digest in which a 70+ lady wrote that she made atleast one person happy every day.Iwas so much motivated that I tried but could succeed for more than 50 days.
    Mary Adams was standing in the queue along with others to buy stamps.When others in the queue suggested that she should buy the stamps from the vending machine which is easier.But,she replied -the vending machine will not ask me about my Arthritis.Companionship is a basic human need irrespective of whether the sink is full or not.
    Regards.SLN

startinganew, Jagjag and Srama like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

You know how much I enjoy reading your snippets. I did see "from fear to growth" diagram in a LinkedIn post and used it in my presentation in our spiritual center when I spoke about "What can we do in this testing time"? A lot of them liked "I will be more empathetic to myself and others" very much. We also watched the video about fear posted by me in SLN Sir's thread.

People are getting fatigued by the Zoom meeting and my answer to them is, zooming into things, helps us to increase focus whether it is spiritual or business discussions. It helps me to be brief and up to the point. More diagrams and few words in these meetings than too much of verbalization helps to overcome the fatigue. This COVID-19 situation helps us to listen and go in an orderly fashion in these meetings. I started a WhatsApp group for those parents whose children are attending the moral classes so that they can exchange ideas about how to manage the time of their children while working simultaneously.

This is the first time I haven't seen my neighbors for a month. But those who have a dog are all out walking the dog. No stay-at-home order is applicable to walking the dog.

I have to agree with SLN Sir. Offering a cup of coffee to a neighbor is more fulfilling than the embarrassment of a full sink. In fact, it reveals your intent to be hospitable to a neighbor despite pending domestic work.

kkrish, sindmani and Srama like this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Very good snippet Srama. I think as the days are passing, we are moving from fear to growth zone.
    With 21 days lockdown, i get to spend time with neighbours. Its such a nice gesture to meet the youngest neighbour and wait to show her a new toy and wait for her innocent smile. I would never miss the chitchat time with neighbours now. I would be waiting for my DD's friend to show up in the morning and start the non stop Q&A session with us. Enjoying every such occasion. I love all your snippets and just take a min to stop by and admire the beauty around us.

kkrish and Srama like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear sln sir,

Thank you for your feedback. You know I do believe we all do our best for others in our own ways and some people have that real ability to do that like that 70+ yeard oldyou speak of. I am not sure if I go out of my way to do good but I have to confess, I have been a fortunate recipient of many such goodwill gestures - it has always taken me by surprise and motivates me to do my best in any given circumstance!

That made me smile! Though not very old, I still do banking the old fashioned way - step in so that I can chat with people there both the employees and other people :) Indeed Mary Adams is right!

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

that truly made my day! I often surprise myself when I feel an urge to write and end up sharing without thinking twice - I love the process of putting my thoughts, more of observations together.
    So, I truly thank you for assuring me that!

My yoga studio also offers zoom classes and thankfully we are asked to turn off our videos and speakers - I kind of like it that way for harder classes. It allows me to explore better. Keeping zoom sessions shorter is a smart idea!

As for that kitchen sink, no longer an embarrassment :( I kind of like to see that it is full :) That one sink cannot define an other neat house :) Thank you for your words of appreciation. As much as I think I am introverted by nature, like people and hearing their stories and helping where I can.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Anisu,

so nice to see you here after such a long time! Glad to hear that you are enjoying time with neighbors and more importantly your DD's friends! Kids are so adorable.

You are right! Human spirit is such that we cannot stay put in the fear zone for a long period of time. Growth zone it should be! Thank you also for letting me know that you read and like my snippets - makes me happy! Do come and respond more often Anisu. I just saw your signature line and realized that I haven't visited the hasya thread in a long time. Hope you are keeping it alive! We need it now more than ever. Love to you and your DD!

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,
    Growth zone, what we want to strive differs from age. At different points of life it is different. Sometimes we run for it, win the race. After a certain stage a sort of maturity comes, come in terms with life. We do grow but both the feet firm on land.
    Yes .. dishes can wait. Chat with a friend rejuvenates, relax in sharing small small things. I love it. Dishes and other chores we do in a mechanical way. Mind has nothing to do with it .
    I too do banking in the old way. Not even ATM. Personal touch, exchanging small talk with live people I love. Not with machines.
    Syamala

kkrish and Srama like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

Loved your response! You are right, what we want to strive for differs in age
    Feet firmly on ground is the way to pursue - I never tire of telling my children roots to stay, wings to fly!

It is always fun. Once the weather improves we usually walk and talk and then again meet on one of the houses for tea or coffee - she is a north Indian and I love her tea :) Come to think of it, I have always had a friend like this. Back in the day when I had just moved had a friend like this and our routine was pretty much the same - the best of that friendship was our walks in the rain! Oh how much both of us liked it! Grateful for good people in my life, generally!

10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

These are difficult times. The only way out is to learn new things and grow or rather outgrow the VIRUS.

Srama likes this.