1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Engaging Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you @kkrish for your suggestions . that helps a lot with some more ideas to try. point 1, 2 and 7 is absolutely unexplored ... will try these in the next few days . Story book and rhymes i am doing though her attention span is like 1-2 mins at a time . But thank ful to the daycare she picked up this habit from there . she would herself bring the books to you and maybe listen for a min or so but at the day care she would sit still for an hour while they do story time . I do jump with her on rhymes and such sometimes she picks up the steps and repeats after me. playdough ... i never knew that you can make edible play dough , thats the problem she would play with it in a proper way at the day care but at home she would start eating it so i kept it away . I will try to make it with maida and food color and bring play dough back to her

Thyagarajan, kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Values Game - Snake & Ladders

I have edited the traditional Parampatham to Value game. The children may enjoy this and understand good and bad values simultaneously.

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You are welcome @Caughtinbetween
    Oh!She is a sweetheart. Yes, 1-2 mins attention is okay. She is home and these are privileges at home that she does not have at day care. So, don't worry too much about this attention span.
    However, I understand your difficulty juggling work and an active toddler. Despite all these tips you will still be stretched.
    Wish I could help you some.

4. Viswamitra

Book Cricket

Indian children may understand this game better if the parents have knowledge about this game. Book cricket is a simple game the siblings can play among themselves or alone assuming two players in the game. The player needs to open the book and depending on the last digit of the page number on the right side, the player score runs.

A player can try 6 times before handing over the book to another player.
    Last digit 1,2,3,4 & 6 are runs scored by each player.
    If a player gets the last digit as "0", then, they are considered out.
    Last digit "7" will be a no-ball which means the player gets to open the book again in lieu of the earlier opening of the book.
    Last digit "8" will be a leg bye adding 1 run
    Last digit "9" will be a bye adding 1 run.

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That’s brilliant point. Thank you.
    This reply brims with wonderful ideas in child rearing COVID or not.
    Regards.

kkrish likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

You have put me in school. Wonderful.
    Thanks and Regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

I would like this thread to have all ideas from parents in one place for them to use and I will keep posting as and when I remember any of the games we played before the digital revolution. Please feel free to share any ideas that parents could successfully use in this difficult time. I wish more parents and grandparents share their thoughts and ideas here.

8. Viswamitra

Modified Squash

We also used to play a game that physically exacting to the children. All the children need is an open wall with no furniture blocking their view and a tennis ball. The children use the palm to hit the ball to the wall and as it comes back again, they need to keep hitting. Only one bump is allowed before using the palm to hit the tennis ball again. They can count how many times they were able to do that without allowing the tennis ball to bump twice. This is more interesting if two children can play it together. This is a lot of physical activity and will make the children get tired quickly but it is suitable only for children in elementary or middle school.

kkrish likes this.
  9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

point 1 , 5 , 8 and 6 is again completely unexplored yet..got to try it soon . thanks for all the new ideas .
    in this one month she has become completely addicted to tv and youtube which gets increasingly difficult to manage . She used to nap for three hours at fixed time at day care and they exactly do the same you mentioned above as in dim lights , light music and all . but at home completely messed up with the schedule , its mostly on demand and rocking on your lap everytime. i would always say sleep sleep to her :facepalm::facepalm:

i got to really let her mess up things around to keep her busy which i resist indulging in due to cleaning up work and all. But will this start slowly. I used to get her toys which she played with at the day care thinking she would be interested in it at home as well . then one day her therapist told me that why would she want to play with the same stuff which she already has the day care , thats why she gets bored quickly . there is no novelty in it anymore. and since then i am searching for new things to hold her interest. she loves playing in water , just messing with the water paint colors with her fingers without using paper , messing around with the food while trying to use spoon and fork ,climbing up and down the small stools and chairs , tearing up the toilet paper and tissue paper and her wipes and just in general opening up any box and throwing around the stuff in it . loves exploring whats in the fridge . thank you very much for all the ideas @kkrish and @Viswamitra uncle for starting the thread.

kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sir.:worship2: