1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Engaging Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 4, 2020.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My plan was to post this link in my last article in the space series.
    This is reminder for me to write the remaining planned articles fast.:D

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Kids sure are super frustrated with no playing time outside and it's surely a challenging time for all parents. When I spoke to my nephew he complained that he wants the exams back which got cancelled because of all this. Studying for exams are better than sitting at home he felt. :grinning:
    Very good pointers viswa sir. Thank you for sharing.
    When I was speaking to a friend in the US she was telling how difficult it was for her to handle her 1.5 year old toddler and how she n husband take turns from WFH to look after him. Really difficult times and hoping "this too shall pass soon" .

Just sharing a forward which I received today.
    From a friend

We have unsung heroes at home. Yes, Our Kids.

Let's acknowledge that our kids have been the most patient beyond their age and intellect, in these testing times. It is not easy for little ones to tame their mind to stay indoors all day all night, for days. It is hard on them to suddenly lose contact with their friends and teachers from school. They crave for open spaces to run around. We have locked them down at our homes with some toys. Their world changed overnight and most of them could hardly ever express their anguish.

We owe them an apology for creating such a harsh world they didn't deserve. They deserve a loud applause for being there with us today, stronger than us in these unprecedented circumstances.

Give them a tighter hug, enjoy those naughty tricks , laugh at their jokes , let them make the house dirty, read them that extra story, comfort their insecurities & add some sparkle ✨ to their life wherever we can. They have been forced to act more mature than their age by the circumstances.

Hopefully, this havoc too shall pass. Till then let's celebrate our heroes at home too , our kids❤️

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    I read it with great interest this thread. A brainstorm indeed from kids point of view in covid's time.
    Hats off to you.
    Thanks
    Regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

My daughter and daughter-in-law are managing somehow.Since they are learnig music thro skype,sometime passes on in music lesson. Everyday my grandson is sending his talk over whatapp.Yesterday his talk was about chemical formula for handwashing liquids.Inter alia he spoke about percentage of alcohol in handwashing liquids.It is a difficult time for mothers especially when everyone is at home.
    My daughter-in-law says it is somewhat easier to manage two kids.Though they fight,they start playing after a few mts.
    jayasala 42

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your visit here Thyagarajan Sir. What is more satisfying than knowing that even those who do not have small children still read this thread like you and SLN Sir? I prepared it for the parents of children who I teach every week and I thought it is good to share it here.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

So nice to know that both your daughter and daughter-in-law are managing the situation well. I am sure they must be doing something right to keep children engaged for this long. Your grandson using this time to send his talk over WhatsApp to you is brilliant. Even in my article, I had mentioned that children should use this time to interact with grandparents and other extended families and express gratitude to those who perform essential services.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

@Anusha2917,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for sharing your friend's message with us. These kinds of messages are very useful for many parents. It is important to understand the frustration of the children well at this time. They need to be supported. I really liked your friend's comment that they are unsung heroes at home.

This is an important message for all parents. I teach teenaged children every week and the current topic is the purity of thoughts. I have completed 6 modules and 3 more left before they break for summer. They are requesting me to continue to teach them during summer as well as they are getting frustrated about staying home. There are so many questions in their mind and I am glad CDC gave good guidelines as to how to handle children during this period. Many children are worried about their grandparents away from their homes. Excessive COVID-19 news make them feel sick to their stomach. They are looking for some positives wherever it is available.

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  8. Viswamitra

@kkrish,

Incredible suggestions for infants. These are suggestions that might be of great help to many parents. I received a message from a parent that Google has 3D pictures of select animals. When we click on it and bring it to our environment through a screenshot and into our camera, it allows those animals to come into our home through Augmented Reality. The children can enjoy taking pictures with wild animals.

The second one I received is this website:

Butterfly Paint. When one draws a butterfly on the screen with fingers, we can enjoy the butterfly fly on the screen.

I am hoping this thread becomes a place where parents share their experiences that could be mutually helpful.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yep just remembered:

1. Stick a empty paper towel tube to the wall (the child's height) and place a bowl at the bottom. let the child drop coins or even cereal at the top and collect them in the bowl.

2. At about 2 years age, children love to remove canister tops and put them back. Give them some empty boxes with lids that they can put on and remove. Screw type top jars will keep them engaged for some time trying to close the lids. Just make sure that the edges are blunt and will not bruise the child.

3. Large building blocks will work the same way where they try to put them together and pull them apart.

4. Give them a bunch of junk mail just to tear. They will love it.

5. Piggy banks will help them develop fine motor skills - have them put in coins in slots. Do get the coins out so the child can do it again.

6. This is also the age where children need to learn textures. Give them small amounts of different harmless things for them to explore. Small amounts of dhal, rice, flour, water, paste, idli batter - let them dunk their hands and find out.

7. Attention span at this age is very little. So do not expect the kids to keep themselves occupied for too long. Creating a time-table will also help you relax and not be tensed on what to do next.

8. At least one-hour before nap time let the child not watch any video or TV - that is no screen time.
    • Light from TV and iPads will stimulate the brain and not let them sleep.
    • When nap time comes, comb the child's hair soothingly. Wash the face and hands, if possible change to a fresh set of sleep clothes and quieten the house.
    • Dim the lights and have the child lie down. If you can work nearby, turn your computer screen away from the child. Even if the child rolls and tosses, keep quiet and don't say, "sleep, sleep". Just see that the child stays in bed.
    After a few days the child will know that it is "quiet time" and may start sleeping easily. this takes some time.

The expressions on the child's face when doing all these are priceless. Capture those beautiful moments in your mind and treasure them to be recalled and rejoiced.

Well, that's it for now.:wave:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Caughtinbetween and Viswamitra like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Viswamitra
    I am just the squirrel.

Viswamitra likes this.