1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone's Parents On Visitor's Visa And Stuck In Us?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sneha1985, Apr 5, 2020.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Hello,

I live by myself in US and my parents are retired and living in India. I visited them in December and thought it would be nice for them to spend some time in US away from all the hardships in India. They enjoyed for initial 2-3 months until this whole COVID-19 thing started. My mom keeps saying 10 times a day that she wants to go back home as soon as flight starts as she is worried about our home in India. However I am thinking to get their visitors visa extended because my guess is this would last few more months and even if traveling starts it might be risky to travel initially.

Has anyone here extended their or their family's visitor visa recently?

Nylaa likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Do your parents have medical coverage in case they catch the virus while in the US?

3. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

I have taken medical insurance for them. I will have to check if it covers the virus related costs. However they are not going out of the house at present, but my worry is them catching the virus during traveling. Also don't have anyone in India who can take care of them once they reach.

4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I cant help with your query, just a word of caution about insurance in case you extend their stay.
    Is it travel insurance, if so do remember to extend the insurance 10 days before it expires. Because if it does, you will not be able to extend it.

sneha1985 likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Travel is very risky at this point and for their age, If you follow news, inspite of strict lockdown, it is spreading like anything in India.
    Also all flights are banned and rumors are it will continue till Jul.
    Even if they manage to come back by May, they will have to worry about stocking up, online grocery orders, contact less service with delivery guys, etc...so see if they can manage that.
    Other thing, will your parents be able to maintain cleaning/sanitizing regime while travel. Wiping seats, handles, door knobs, careful at every bathroom visit and every travel mode. Chances are it won't be direct flight, you have to drop them to airport, then 1-2 flights, and commute to home from airport. Every place they have to learn to keep distance, covering facemasks and gloves... i see risks.
    I am in India and we do not go out at all. Your parents worries are natural about their home.
    And in this situation, everyone wants to be in their home, there safety net.
    Talk to her and keep them busy. My personal opinion is to stay put. Work out other insurance stuff.
    Since you are also alone( if i understand correctly), it is good to be together as a family in this crisis.