1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Good,bad And The Ugly-part 3

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

hahaha....:grinning: For decades, the whole world couldn't think of Indians without the adjective "starving". And even in the mid '90's you must've impressed the kitchen-girl that we were all still starving.

You are right about the beef smell. Although we do not permit beef in India, the dead water-buffaloes of India are considered not so holy. And they are slaughtered and sent off to Vietnam (and China). Now and then we'd have some trade-row with the Chinese, and they would ban our buffaloes. Nothing like that ever happens with the Vietnamese.

I like vietnamese coffee filters. These are much like the traditional Madras Coffee Filters, but yield decoctions much faster. The French brought the coffee habit to vietnam, and with that also came the chicory mixing in haute varieties of coffee. Vietnam is only behind Brazil in annual coffee crops, and they have some excellent coffees in their central mountains.... near the city of Hue. Once in a while, I get them by mail order.

For seafood and non-veg eaters, and those who like to dine in fine french restaurants, Vietnam is a good tourist location. DaNang has resorts being sold for destination-weddings, and honeymoons to Indians.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I presume Vietnamese enjoy rats. A friend of mine auditing food corporation of India found them spending annually over ₹25 lacs for trapping or repelling rats in their warehouses spread over various parts of India. He found the machines or the equipment’s were not used and the money spent was infructuous and raised an audit para. It became star question in parliament and discussed. An opposition member said that he saw huge opportunity as he had just returned after a visit from Vietnam. Rat being a delicacy, India should try to export the rats rating around FCI godowns.

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

They eat only rice rats[field] and Bandicoots mainly as a source of protein.They dont eat house and godown rats. As for FCI rats leave them to Irulas-they will fix them.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Cultured cockroaches are fried and offered hot on the wayside in Malaysia I heard from my Co brother. So delicacy has various shades and definitions depending on geography.
    cockroaches delicacy - Google Search:

How cockroaches could save lives

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I am glad that among many countries I visited Malaysia is not one.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The poor lot among us are usually the ones who are chasing after difficult to catch protein sources.

The well-to-do can afford to send for whatever is haute in the haute_cuisine of the times, and the country. To be served in pretty salubrious ambience.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

The well-to-do can afford to send for whatever is haute in the haute_cuisine of the times, and the country. To be served in pretty salubrious ambience.
    Middle class managed their protein requirement by Dal,milk,curds.The first course even in a simple house is a spoon of Dal with ghee.Sundal was a regular snack easy to make,tasty and bursting with protein. Any protein deficiency was made up during Navrathri days.Peanuts,roasted or boiled was a good source of protein -100 grams almost supplied 50% of daily protein requirements.[This was my regular treat in Marina beach when I ran out of money during last week of the month..During 15 years of my student days germinated gram twice a week was a must.Adai in TN and pesarattu in Andhra are protein rich varieties of breakfast.All these are substituted by cottage cheese,Kabuli channa dishes etc.While protein requirement was met as a matter of routine by way of a variety of dishes, today some one has to make a conscious effort as breakfast systems have gone haywires. If we care to go deep[ happy that you do] we will find that our native sense helped us to strike a healthy balance,be it diet,discipline,health or social behaviour.Now we need a diet chart from an emaciated nutritionist.We have also allowed ourselves to come under dietary and cultural subjucation.
    Regards.SLN

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:It reminds me மாங்கா தேங்காய் பட்டாணி சுண்டல் .
    2. With add on finely chopped raw manga - grated coconut dressed Sundal, reminds me boy in me in 1952 -53 in the evenings between 5 to 7 helping indigent neighbour friend with thooku and news paper cuttings for selling at sea shore in Triplicane Marina targeting young couples and children and lovers.

Thanks for the nostalgia.
    Regards.

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Santhome beach was my territory during 52-54[doing inter in Vivekananda ].I earned pocket money by being a body guard for my sastry friend directing the rituals in the santhome beach on auspicious days.This was protection money to save him from fishermen.The scene shifted to Marina during 59-61 when I started earning.It
    was sheer skill that helped to enjoy just one packet of sundal for an hour.Roll the sundal from side to side,break the nut gradually and savour bit by bit.This is similar to how PG Wodehouse describes turning mulligatawny soup by Bertie with his tongue. Mythili became delirious on seeing cut mangos,A couple of slices would earn me an appreciative look.Thank god she did not demand Nachos and Tacos[veg version.].Money was in short supply but happiness was in full supply.Being happy, enjoying the god given sea breeze influenced my happiness quotient in later life.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

That is more delicious feed back response.
    Thanks.