1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kambar Comes Home For Sri Rama Navami

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 1, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Kambar comes home for Sri Rama Navami

When I was a boy I was mesmerised by poet Bharathis songs-not surprising that my native village is just fifteen kms from Ettayapuram,Bharathiyars birth place.Kani nilam vendum,kakai siraginile,Nimirntha nannadaiyum ner konda parvaiyum,katru veliyinele kannama kindled creativity and affinity to the tamil language.Classic tamil was Thirupavvai recited/sung early morning during Margazhi month.Every one singing aaduvome pallu paduvome[Nam Iruvar] immediately after independence spearheaded the renaissance of tamil language. Valluvar and Kambar were quoted extensively bringing out the rich heritage of the Tamil language. Kannadasan was emerging as a lyricist adding to the appreciation of the tamil flavour.

Sundarakandam in Kamba Ramayanam shows a path to reach moksha,restore peace and harmony in the domestic front and remove negativity according to belief. Every year my father used to start and complete sundara kandam in forty eight days.Every day after the recital my fathers handsome face acquired a halo which was a delight to watch.I used to sit by his side and listen to the recital enjoying the poetic beauty of the description..

On the eve of Sri Rama Navami I wish to share a few poems/slokas including one on Anjaneyar,the hero of the kandam often quoted by my father. In the process I have recalled the memory of my father and brought Kambar home on the occasion. This article is on poetry and the beauty of Tamil literature.

Veyyon oli meniyin viri sodhiyin maraya

Peyyo enum idayaludum ilayanudan ponan

Myyo,Maragathamo,Mari kadalo, Mazhai mugillo

Ayyo Ivan vadivenbadhu ore Azhiya Azhagudaiyan-.

sunlight gets suppressed with the halo from Rams body

Ram went to the forest with the slim Seetha and his younger brother

is he black like kajal,green like Emerald,blue like the sea,dark like black clouds –

My God-how do I describe his immortal beauty

Ennarum nalathinal inaiyal nindruzhik-

Kannodu kanninai kavvi onrai onru-

Unnavum nilai peradhu unarvum ondrida—

Annalum nokinan avalum nokinal-.

Seetha with unimaginable beauty while standing in the balcony

Rams and Seethas eyes devourved each other

feeling unsteady with racing hearts

Annan looked at her and Seetha looked at him.

Hanuman played a stellar role in rescuing Seetha.This is what Kamban had to say
    Anjile ondru pertran anjile ondrai thavi
    Anjile ondru aaraga Aariyarkaga eghi
    Anjile ondru pertra anangukandu ayalar ooril
    Anjile ondrai vaithanavar emmai anaithu kaapan
    The son of vayu [pancha bootham]
    crossed the sea.another pancha bootha
    took the path of the sky,a pancha bootha,located Seeha
    set fire, another pancha bootha,to the foreign land and saved us

The meaning is that Hanuman has control over pancha bootha.
    Let me end with Kambans prayer;

Ulagam uavaiyum thamula vakkalum- Playing games like creation and destruction of world

Nilai peruthalum neekalum neengala- we surrender to the ultimate.

Alagila vilaiattudaiyar,avar thalaivar

Annavarke charn nangale.

The beauty of this poem is that Kamban refers to Almighty without referring to any specific god.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Awesome post mama. Thanks for sharing. This year we have to sit at home and.celebrate RamNavami.Otherwise today would have gone for ashtapathi bajan in the morning and divyanamam in the evening
    Tomorrow would have missed Sita Kalyanam as we were to leave for Kalady for my husband's Sadabhishekam

With namaskarams. Need your blessings

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    Congratulations for the Maanaseeka sathabhisheka festival.

jayasala42

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  4. iyerviji

Thks Jayakka for your blessings
    Now it is postponed to 22nd July 2020
    Hope that time the function goes well.Need your blessings

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Irrespective of the postponement of the function,my blessings and good wishes for good health ,happiness and well deserved peace in your lives ahead.
    Regards .SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear SLN Sir,

Thank you for sharing Kamban's Tamil literature. It brought great memories of pravachanams by many Tamil scholars when I was young. They used to make us live through those wonderful Treda Yuga days by narrating it so well. Sundara Kandam reading brings great calmness to the whole family. Thank you for sharing your memories of your father reading it regularly.

Dear Vijiakka,

Let the Lord shower His choicest grace to you and your husband for long life and prosperity. My humble namaskarams to both of you. Your husband is known for simplicity and I am sure he will be happy to celebrate your Sadabhishekam at home quietly with you.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    The early days of my boyhood was devoted to Kandhar Shasti Kavasam which I had learnt by heart, with wet dhothi and lines of ash on my forehead.It did not matter a little that I was an Iyengar.One day my father called me and advised me to pray for Rama as he is the embodiment of righteousness and EKA PATINI VIRADHAN.Perhaps he saw me growing up and felt it right to advice me."ini ipraviyil iru madharai sindaiyalum thoden"'what Ram said is etched in my memory. I have added Tirupathi Balaji and our own family deity Sri Lakshminarayana perumal for my prayers,pleading and some time quarrels.I had the privilege of moving closely with Embar Vijayaraghavachariar and listening to his Harikatha.His deep understanding,command of tamil and melifluous voice transported me to another world.His distractors could not divert me from his Harikathas.
    Being away from TN for30 years resulted in material advancement but spiritual enlightment took a beating.I have been trying to make up it up by being a good human being.
    Thanks for allowing me to release the bottled up sentiments.
    Regards SLN

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  8. iyerviji

Thanks Viswa for your good wishes.its husband's Sadabhishekam
    Now it is postponed to 22nd July

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

I know it is your husband's Sadabhishekam but it is so special for two of you to celebrate it together. It is also good for younger ones like me to take blessings from both of you.

iyerviji likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear SLN Sir,

It is exactly opposite for me. Even though I was born in an Iyer family, I had a close connection to Vaishnavisham because Ramakrishna Elementary school I attended had a Vaishnava priest. My close friends were all Iyengars living in Tanjore Road, T.Nagar. Even after I moved with my parents to Neyveli, we lived stone throw distance away from Perumal Koil and I woke up to Thirupavai singing and piping hot Pongal prasadam. Urchava Murthi used to come on the road once in a while and we used to prostrate in the street to Perumal. Later after I finished my CA, I had a close friendship with a family who are Yadavas practising Vaishnavism. During that period, I used to go to Thirupathi every month with this family.

I used to recite both Kandar Shasti kavacham and Mahisasura Martini Sthothram twice every day.

Thyagarajan likes this.