1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Own, My Precious

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meena,

So happy to have you back with your humor when we are facing a pandemic. Your sense of humor is the vaccine I was looking for. I knew I have stock for at least 2 months always in our pantry. However, we took stock of inventory and rushed to the Indian grocery for whatever we found may not last for 2 months. Lo and behold, we had 500 people ahead of us inside a small store 3 weeks back and so much for social distancing. Only the stocking staff were wearing a mask to protect themselves and everyone else was walking inside the store as though nothing was happening in the outside world. I felt as though I walked in with all my clothes inside a nudist society.

It is interesting to note that while all of us are focused on what we need to eat for 2 months, the rest of the society is apparently focused on the rear end of the digestion system. The aisle that normally has toilet papers is totally empty in all retail stores. Water is restricted to one case of water bottles or two gallons of water.

I am happy your daughters are back home enjoying home-cooked meals. Worst case scenario, you can always get American Long Grain Rice from a local store to replace whatever rice you are getting from the Indian grocery. You have Asafetida to last for the whole wedding of the Ambani family? Your family should be not only enjoying delicious food but also a nice aroma every day.

There was a lot of tension in our home last week as we had my mother's ceremony on Thursday. Even though the Indian store was open, the Temple was closed and we were wondering what to do. We called the priest and fortunately, he agreed to be in the Temple at 9 a.m. to perform the rituals. We were sitting 6 feet away from each other and he must have been very irritated about me not repeating after him properly as I couldn't hear half of what he was reciting. My loving mother will forgive me for my ignorance, I guess.

I thought pinching your husband is to wake him up to the positive comments of the children while your husband is eating mouthful without saying a word about cooking? Keep the energy coming at these testing times.

satchitananda, kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

@Amulet - The video you had shared cracked me up. I guess toilet paper is the new gold of this era. :D

@Srama - Same story with the disinfecting wipes in my neighborhood too Sabitha. The aisle is wiped clean in all the stores, pun intended. As for adventurous menu planning, it is non-existent in my house. I am sticking to the tried and tested menu of Sambar, rasam and aloo curry - the staple diet of my family. :thumbup:

I am grateful to Corona for showing me that I haven't forgotten how to write. Glad to see you all after a long time. Let's find ways to stay sane and survive this madness. Stay safe Sabi.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. meenasankaran

@sln - Having my daughters home, safe and sound, is my silver lining in this whole mess sir. I am grateful for it every day. Thanks for stopping by.:)

@Rihana - Like most of the store, the murukku aisle was wiped out too.:cry: Especially the Grand sweet snacks section. Yet another tragedy worthy of its own blog someday. :grinning: As for rice, there were 3 and then there were 2....May God help the Sankarans.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. meenasankaran

@Cheeniya - So very happy to see your bright, animated face in the post. :beer-toast1: How are you doing Sri Uncle? I would say sorry for disappearing but then you have heard it way too many times before, haven't you? :biggrin: Besides, no uncle can hold a grudge against their favorite virtual niece, right? :thumbsup:

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Cheeniya like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How do you spell grudge? :blush:

6. meenasankaran

Dear Kamala,

It is so great to see you after a long time. :)

Don't panic Kamala. It's never too late to make up for lost time. Find you husband and start pinching away. Just don't tell him that you talked to me. :biggrin::biggrin:

And now we are down to 20.:crybaby2::crybaby2: Do light a lamp and pray for us, my friend. The future with no rice seems very bleak indeed.

kkrish, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. meenasankaran

Aww...are you really going to let me off the hook that easily Uncle? :) Thank you.:grinning:

:worship2::worship2:

Cheeniya and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. meenasankaran

Good to see you again Viswa sir. :beer-toast1:

Every time I see a news article about the hysteria around lack of toilet paper in the US, I shake my head and laugh. The Chennai I grew up in never had enough water so I learned to make do with very little. Growing up, we were each allocated a quarter bucket of water daily for a bath. Would you believe if said that we managed to save enough after the bath to soak our clothes too? :banana: Chennailites are hardy people alright. No dearth of toilet paper is going to bring us down. Lack of rice? That's a different matter altogether. :facepalm:

The last time I sat down to write was in 2018 Viswa sir.:BangHead: While I want to say 'sure, will see you back soon with another post', history shows me up for what I am. A incorrigibly lazy writer. :D I do hope I write more this year but we'll see. :) Thanks for the lovely feedback Viswa sir. Stay safe and healthy.

kkrish, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:It is incredible that US it happens so.
    • I was astounded when my daughter & son in law said that at supermarket they stood in long queue that stretched on to the vacant road maintains lane and social distancing discipline . Even in vegetable market & flower market at Koyambedu and in other districts the buyers patiently wait for their turn standing under the bright sun each within a circle that is spaced a metre and a half.

Fortunately in our area no such dearth nor huge demand .

:hello:@meenasankaran
    I read your jotting with great interest. It is funtastic and personification of இடுக்கண் வருங்கால் நகுக.

2. With this looking “half full glass” attitude, I trust your family & you must be enjoying robust health.

3. I read your award winning post and recorded my delight in that thread itself.
    4. Looking forward for more of your observations in life journey posted here.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God bless.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

We are all keeping good health and in high spirit. Today, stay-at-home order was made wef today by the Florida Governor and will last until April 30th unless changed by another order. Hopefully, this will flatten the curve a little and move Florida down the list.

People stand in lines everywhere here except in the Indian groceries. In other places, social distancing is practiced strictly. Even carts that are used by the consumers are sanitized frequently before the next use. Now, they have even rationed items so that no one individual can buy bulk quantities. Water - One case of bottles, Paper Towels - 4, Toilet Paper - 8, Hand Sanitizer - 2, Hand Soap -2, etc.

Which one is an award-winning post, Sir? I am not sure what you are referring to.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.