1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grandma's Rasam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anusha2917, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Regards.

Amulet and Anusha2917 like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Amulet and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    Madam sister @jayasala42 post and it’s feedback interesting on eeiyasombu rasam kalchetty Kuzhambu in the link
    Eeya Sombu, Kal Satti

Wherein we had discussed some time ago is contextual in this post.
    Interesting to read again.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Kalchatti -- the equivalent is the Soapstone pot in the west, sold by the usual mail order companies.
    [​IMG]

These things are pretty expensive. Just like the old Kalchatti of south india. One would buy these as tangible property that would be transferred from one generation to the next. I bought one, and after hundreds of stews, curries, fenugreek-tamarind sauces, it had been passed on to the next generation. I think it is now in hibernation. When it wakes up, it might be oh-so powerful.

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:treadmill:

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I have always wondered what this emoji means?

7. Thyagarajan

:treadmill:
    @Anusha2917 I thought it depicts emotion ROF. BUT I COUL BE WRONG. IT is not covered in google emoji . Could someone explain here please.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. Anusha2917

Rasam recipe :
    Got a bit lazy to type it out.

Here is the recipe of simple paruppu rasam. There are so many varieties of Rasam . This is the usual one I make. My next favorite is garlic pepper Rasam ,recipe of which I'll share later.

1) thoor dhal cooked with haldhi and smashed. Rasam doesn't require much dhal. So little is enough. I have noticed my grandma adding a pinch of hing here along with a spoon of ghee to while pressure cooking the thoor dhal.

2) one lemon sized tamarind. Boiled in water and pulp extracted from it. To this add two three roughly cut tomatoes. Big tomato I just cut Into 4 . Small ones into halves. Add rasam powder(in my house sambar powder is same for rasam) ,add salt, haldhi and again a pinch of hing and just ad( one small green chilli. Just one. (this is my grandma tip) . Boil boil until the watery pulp reduces to less than half. (just one layer will be left in the vessel along with tomatoes but do not burn )Good boil gives better taste.

3)mix water to smashed dhal and mix with this tamarind tomato water. Adjust consistency by adding more water and simmer.

4) a froth formation will start forming in 5 mins. This Rasam shouldn't boil. But the right time to turn off gas is when froth formation is seen completely on top layer.

5) give tadka in ghee, mustard seeds and hing. Curry leaves n jeera is optional.

6) Don't forget to add coriander leaves. For me my Rasam is incomplete without that. I prefer adding the stick of coriander than the leaves itself.

Enjoy with hot rice ghee n papad or potato roast.

@kveena recipe.

@shravs3 secret tip is that pinch of hing while boiling, pinch of hing while cooking dhal and that slit green chilli. Haven't seen my mom or anyone else do this.. :grin::grin:

SpringB, shravs3, GoneGirl and 4 others like this.
  9. Anusha2917

Also thought of sharing this.
    I was discussing about corona virus with my dad and he said this and I was arguing with him against his baseless claims..
    Then I read some news piece on similar lines.

Coronavirus: 'Rasam' to the rescue? Chennai doctor explains

All I will say is healthy food habits are anyday better but rasam alone can't protect us!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:Am absolutely delighted the way you had described the making of rasam step by step and what to watch while being made as it nears its completion.
    If asafoetida in powder form itisadded during thadka and if solid one is used it is added while ingredients begin to boil.
    A take on rasam by mahaperiavazhal in link below may notbeout of conrext here:

சாப்பாடும் வாழ்வும்
    Thanks and Regards.

Anusha2917 likes this.