Your Longest Phone Call?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Calls to customer service and work or business related calls do not count. We are talking about personal calls -- to a friend, mother, father, fiancé, husband, wife, child, and so on.

What is the longest personal phone call or conversation you ever had? A verbal, spoken conversation over the phone. With whom, do you remember the main topic, and it ended as the topic was done or because one had to go to the bathroom? : )

pinkydarling, AmulB and KashmirFlower like this.

2. Rihana

I am able to remember only some recent long calls. If a friend or I have some big drama going on with husband or child or another friend, we fix up a time, and the venter gets to vent vent vent with occasionally checking if the sympathetic ear is still on the line. : )

Once a call went to an hour and 48 minutes. I was using a handset and it showed the duration at the end of the call. I got a lot done in the kitchen during the call. : )

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Amica and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I had a recent phone call with my friend for over 2 hours. This is probably the longest. She just called me up one day, and just talked, it was nice to do it since we saw each other only in last December :blush:. I sat on the couch, doing nothing while she cleaned her kitchen talking to me. We complained about our husbands, kids, and talked about how she was not able to visit her dad since 4 years, what should we do when we meet for summer etc.
    I have a weekly phone call with another friend from grad school, usually this is 45 mins to 1 hour. We talk reminiscing our grad school life, mostly because she is getting another degree now and is a full time student. then we talk about how we havent met in last few years but kept talking to each other on phone every week. She recently had a baby and we talk about bringing up kids with out help from our moms, challenges of being a grad student and a mom.This is pretty much the same every week and we just check in on each other with these phone calls.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  4. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

I used to have these long calls when at dating phase, long distance. And after that now recently my friend calls me from India and spoke about 2hr39min and that was the longest I can recall in this busy life where we don’t have that much time communicating w anyone once u r w kids and other things going on. I patiently heard her issues at home w H and in-laws while my focus remains on my toddlers who might wake up anytime if they figure out I’m not next to them. It’s crazy to be on call for that long... but at least I was help to someone to hear out her problems if not be a solution.

5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

These days my calls are mostly to my parents. It usually lasts around 30- 45 minutes. Once it even exceeded 3 hours as I was venting. My mom was patiently listening but suddenly when I saw the phone I realised the time and reminded her to sleep.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

3-4 hours with friends when we were all newly arrived in the US and reminiscing about our glory days back home. WhatsApp would have saved us a lot of money back then LOL.

7. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

I remember my longest call was with a friend/crush for whole night from 9 pm - 5 am.
    we were talking literally about everything as both our families were out of town lol

8. Rihana

Oh this reminded me.. I have a call once in 4-6 months, three of us friends in separate time zones. It goes on for 2 to 2.5 hours.

Amica and Angela123 like this.
  9. Rihana

After kids came along and while they were still young, we used to search so much for a good time and decide after all considerations, my friend and I joked that we didn't even have our wedding done with a muhurtham (auspicious time). :grinning:

You are young. : ) Enjoi the low or zero rates. In my time, it was AT&T or MCI rates to India, with 0.75 c or $1.08 per minutes in weekday and 0.35 c to $0.58 per minute in weekend. It was fun to be a subscriber of one, and call the other to say "can you beat this rate." : ) And what fun at the end of the month to figure out with roommates the division of the bill. : )

Amulet, Amica, AmulB and 2 others like this.
  10. Rihana

Oh how well I remember one month's bill that went to $450 plus in initial years! I just wrote about the rates from then! Now, my friend and I start off texting on whatsapp, then after a few exchanges, tired of typos (lust instead of list for example), one of us types, "quick call?"

I think such a call should happen in everyone's life. You never forget it.

Amica and MalStrom like this.