1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Periodical Pains

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 18, 2020.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The fact that that society is wiped out is the karma!!! True, no reincarnation in that case - at least not in that particular society!

Unfortunately these backward practices are not only part of the Indian culture. It is an integral part of cultures all across the world. Isn't it ironical. If the woman is not normal or is unable to reproduce, she is shunned. If she is normal, she is impure. When will these dickheads ever realize that they lived in that 'impurity' till they were fit to be called human beings in their own right?

Balajee likes this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

true satchi without the 'impurity' there would be no human race and that would be good riddance. NO POLLUTION, NO GLOBAL WARMING AND THE WORLD WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE FOR THE SPECIES THAT ACTUALLY DESERVE IT MORE THAN THE HOMO SAPIENS

satchitananda likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

SLN you see the case of women's entry into Sabarimala TEMPLE. women in the menstruating ag group are barred and while there are lot of importrant issues to fight about we are still splitting hairs over it in the Supreme Cour/ Because of stupid myths women having periods are considered unclean/ Even those who know scientific facts about periods tend to stick to old myths.

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

These foolish customs have been in existence in many of the houses.My Amma has suffered a lot.Ladies who had lot of responsibilities used to hide their menstruation and used to take off during normal days. On one such occasion my mother was asked to undress herself by her mother-in-law.The same mother-in-law would ask the actually menstruating woman to grind batter for 25 persons and then stay aloof.( She would say 'Aabaththukku paavam illai.No sins for breaking rules during crisis)
    We can only laugh at these practices.Fortunately among the households the practice is slowly being given up.In Kanchimutt there was an uproar about this isssue some decades back when Mahaswamy was the head of the mutt.
    A biological issue is blown up so much in this modern scientific world!A great shame!
    Jayasala42

Balajee likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

I am glad this evil practice is dispensed with by most households nowadays. Still, many women are not voluntarily entering the Temple during their menstruation. Even in ancient days, there is a reference that the women in the kingdom wear only a single cloth to drape themselves and hence no one is allowed to see them during their menstruation period. It is my understanding that even Draupadi was inside a closed room just before she was asked to come to the courtroom after Yudhistra lost her in the game. Duchchadan entered this closed room to bring her by holding her hair to the court.

There is a Goddess in a Temple in India who is depicted as a menstruating Goddess and people do go to worship her. Probably, this is still a taboo in villages but the cities are clearly out of it. These inappropriate practices were started by the social behavior and I am not sure there is any reference to this in Vedic scriptures.

Frankly, you and I became expert cooks because of this. All my cooking skills are also due to my mother practicing this unnecessary practice.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa there is a temple in Melmaruvathur TN, where menstruating women are not only allowed but they perform arati at the temple. This practice is more prevalent in joint families than nuclear families, particularly nuclear families with working couples have bid goodbye to it. Menstruation is precisely the reason why Sabarimala's entry for women has blown up into a national controversy. BUT what is shocking in the Gujarat case is the alarming manner in which the matter has been institutionalized. dozns of girls being asked to strip to prov that they are not menstruating that too at the order of college principal. That us to put it mildly, outrageous.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jayasala ma'am Ever since their inception, the homo sapiens had double standards and htpocisy in their genes. They nade laws that , both religious and secular that leaked like a sieve and were riddden with loopholes. While Abrahamic religions begin with the idea that humans are born sinners, Hinduism makes so many innocuous acts sinful that it is impossible to survive withut committing them. That makes everyone a sinner and a sense of guilt over sins is tonic for religions.Of course every sin has a way to be washed away enriching contractors of faith otherwise known as godmen or priests.. The period issue is no different. Your grandmother was clearly a pragmatic woman who on the one hand revelled at tormenting her DIL, was a firm beiever in the Tamil saying aabathtukku pavamillai' or there is no sin if you don't stick to dogmas in case of emergency.