1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The Power Of Fitness...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by anika987, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Wow wonderful write-up Anika and truely title worthy.

Simple tips and since I follow all that you have written ,I don't have much inputs or doubts.

But two things I want to share is about :
    Olive oil : Few years back olive oil was new to Indian market and there was a talk about it so much. When I went to pick up my monthly groceries I remembered someone mentioning how it's the healthiest and since there was a buy one litre get one litre offer I grabbed two bottles and proudly got back home and started my experiments with it.
    First of all I didn't realize it's not suitable for Indian cooking. Everytime I made poriyal by heating it giving tadka , a weird smell started coming. Reading further about olive oil I realised its not to be heated much and goes well as salad dressing. I usually don't do much salads, did try a few to use this olive oil.
    Managed to finish 1/2 litre somehow.
    One fine day I picked both the bottles after 6 months of purchase (one which had 1 litre oil, unopened bottle and the other where I had managed to finish 1/2 litre, )they went straight into my dustbin. Have never felt so guilty because I never throw even a grain of rice . Since then I have not experimented with anything which claims about too much health benefits.

Muesli : After the usual rounds in the super market I thought our idli dosa is boring, let me try this muesli. I got the biggest box of it and was happy that it made my mornings easier. I just had to add milk n eat it.
    This is a brand Kellogg if I remember correctly. After a couple of days we wEre not enjoying it as it was chewy and very boring types. Months went by without me touching it. One fine day during the routine kitchen cleaning I picked that box and realised how I haven't eaten it for months. Finished the bottle by slowly feeding them to pigeons which sat on my balcony grills . :) less guilt because I didn't put straight into dustbin.

I'm not against any muesli or olive oil. I personally didn't like these and since then haven't experimented much with different varieties of food other than our traditional food.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Many such tall claims while promoting the product offer freebies or for one price two bottles or packets. There is no small size introduced for trial.
    Some new items including health drinks turns out to horrible porridge even animals when offered shy away.

Sticking to established food conventions as was practised by south India will do a world of good to stomach and wallet as well. Aping west in food universe not robust for east excepting doctors and PHARMAs.

God- in Nature You had created oil edible and inedible for different purposes but the line distinguishing them, gets blurred causing turmoil.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

I wish to add that my parents used to insist not to sleep in day at all and especially after lunch. They considered siesta would contribute to undesirable weight gain.
    Thanks and Regards.

4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Is it true?
    I have the habit if taking an afternoon nap...as I get up very early and many days dont get to sleep till 11 pm ...will a 30 minute afternoon nap ( after giving one hour gap after lunch ) cause weight gain?
    @anika987 , what's your take on this? Heard from few other people too that its not good to nap in daytime...

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I too bought a big box of muesli then lost interest after some days...somehow managed to finish it..
    I prefer instant oats, or Ragi porridge or millet based porridge mixes...preferably organic...more natural and tasty too...

anika987 and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello: In my family till recently we followed what my parents insisted and average family weight was always aroun 60 -65kgs.
    My parents too till their last mom 84 dad 99+.
    But there is another school of thought claiming siesta improves productivity as mind gets shar and more focused.
    Looking forward to what others’ say in IL.
    THANKS AND REGARDS.

Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Not really..A power nap max 30 mts is good to rejuvenate but not to be done immediately after a nap..Also,let the lunch not be too heavy

However..the general sleep cycle in the night should be good..quality sleep even if it is six hours..is a must and 11 pm seems a bit late and also getting up too early..Try to maintain a routine when it comes to sleep..it is good

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Yes that is what grandma said. Not to be done neither immediately after lunch nor to be done earlier than one to two hour after lunch.
    Thanks and Regards.

God you are prime mover of digestion of food
    !

9. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Tall claims reminded of one incident yesterday. My dad received a set of nal ennai, ground nut oil and coconut oil from a genuine (I presume) person (through some facebook page )who claimed it to be cold pressed and sent samples of these oils. They are small bottles of 50 ml or 100 ml. The oil seemed good and this wasn't charged to us as it was just a sample. He had written a note if you like get back to me for purchase..
    Is such a tactic safe to assume that his product was genuine??

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Oru panai sothukku oru chorus padham- the saying in tamil. Here we do not know for sure the sample is true representative of the whole. If stars are good one may be lucky. He or she can pray and buy.

Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020