1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Moon Is Associated With Romance And Women

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Feb 23, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Why Moon is associated with Romance and women

I don’t sleep properly nowadays.I get up twice in the night and every time it takes more than an hour to go back to sleep.I strictly follow the advice given by doctors and well wishers:

Give atleast an hour between dinner and to bed-Avoid high carbohydrates food

Use the bed only for sleeping and not for reading news papers or browsing.

Take a glass of warm milk before retiring -Avoid TV,tab etc

Switch off the light and listen to music.

Last week I chanced to view the picturisation and the duet song “ Vinnodu mugilodu vilayadum Vennilave,kannodu konjum kalai azhage,isai amudhey

Alai payum kadaloram ila mangal pole,vilayadi,isaipadi,uravadi,inbam kanalam

Like the moon playing with the sky and the clouds

A piece of art is pampering me with your eyes and singing

Like the young dear play along the waves of the sea

Let us play,sing and find happiness in our relationship.[Chidambaram jayaraman-pudhiyal]

What a song,What a picturisation and what expression?

You tube perhaps sensed my happiness and followed it up with the following songs-I hate them for taking me for granted.

Sakkarai nilavae pen nilavae
    Kaanum pothae karainthayae
    Nimathi illai en illai nee illayae[Harish Raghavendra-Youth]

Sweet moon,girlish moon,why are you waning as I see you

Why is there no peace without you.

Again a beautiful song picturised beautifully.

After these two songs I could not resist listening to:

ye chaand sa roshan chehra ,zulfon ka rang sunehra
    ye jheel si neeli aankhein, koi raaz hai inme gehera,tareef karun kya uski jisne tumhe banaaya

This face is shining just like moon, your hairs are golden
    this eyes are blue like lake , got some deep secret in them

how should I praise the one who has created you[Mohamed Rafi-Kashmir ki kali]

Typical Shammi Kapoor doing acrobatics with Sharmila tagore encouraging him with her eyes.

This led to chain of thoughts as to why Moon is connected with romance and is partial to women.

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
    Here will we sit and let the sounds of music
    Creep in our ears: soft stillness and the night
    Become the touches of sweet harmony.
    – William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Venus is considered to be the God of love and yet moon is always associated with romance and poets have held the moon to be romantic.May be they think that moon as cool and as beautiful as their lady love..Perhaps in the darkness of the night the shining moon lifts our spirits when we are tired and worn out.Moon lit nights always find a place in their creations.There is some thing that attracts you to gaze at the moon in a silent night. N.D. Wilson said: “The moon was up, painting the world silver, making things look just a little more alive.”

“Of all the celestial bodies that we see with our naked eye, the moon is the one that has an indescribable effect on us. Its charm, magnificence, and illumination create a spell and marvel us with its grandeur. Not only does it look beautiful to the eyes but it also affects hormones and emotions. The connection between the moon and romance is not new. Men and women of every time have connected the moon to their romantic and intimate lives.”
    Moon is always there in our days of gloom and happiness itself waxing and waning showing a deeper understanding us-,the human beings.. May be the woman like the moon guiding the seafarers guides us I when darkness envelops us. And yet it is an object of mystery like the woman to the man..

“Love sees the beauty in everything and when you are in love, the entire universe seems mesmerizing. The flowers smell sweeter, birds sing along the melody of love and when you look at the moon you see the face of your beloved. Whether you are a poet or not, you surely would have shared a quote or two with your beloved about the moon”

“Moon symbolizes beauty,pure,calmness.Love is something which is eternal,selfless, pure.Both represent each other properly”

Saint Thiruvalluvar said:மாதர்முகம்போல்ஒளிவிடவல்லையேல்
    காதலைவாழிமதி.

Farewell, O moon! If that thine orb could shine
    Bright as her face, thou shouldst be love of mine.

Explanation:If you can indeed shine like the face of women, flourish, O moon, for then would you be worth loving ?. Reference; Why is the moon considered so romantic-Barsha Ng Bhowmick TOI

Thyagarajan, Rihana, joylokhi and 5 others like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

These songs were written by people ignorant of astronomy who had no clue that the moon was pock-narked with craters. Moon is associated with everything irrational and romance is not a rational activity. The late name for the moon is luna hence ''lunatic'',

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Latin? The English verb moon is also pearl-clutch worthy. It is usually done to annoy or shame one's enemies. However, like anything that is beholden, the beholder might find it beautiful, and break into verse and poetry.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    Thanks.Sane people get respect because of millions of lunatics roam around the world. Strictly between you and me I am a die hard romantic and enjoyed the irrational romance in my 42 years of marital life.Two years before her demise Mythili was asked by our cook whether ours was a love marriage.She said it in a nutshell-it was not but it is now. When my final exit comes I dont want to carry the craters but happy memories of the moon right from my childhood with me.
    Regards.SLN

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Same pinch!:blush:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.Fitbit has added to my problem.On an average I have deep sleep of 2 hours and light sleep of 4 hours.Doctor has told me to throw the fitbit out.Sadguru says that this problem happens to people who indulge in cerebral activity. I am not able to make it up in the afternoon also.Hope can continue to avoid sleeping pills.
    Regards.SLN

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Older people do not sleep much because they have more cud to chew about their past than younger people. I lose more sleep through worrying about not getting enough sleep!

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear SLN Sir,

No wonder you are not getting enough sleep in the night and your cerebral function is in full swing. There is one other thing that the Moon is associated with and it is our mind and its mysteries. The Moon's orbit of the earth is associated with the man's affiliation to the world and the Moon's orbit of the Sun is associated with the man's affiliation with the divine. The moon does both successfully and so does our mind. In Tamil, both the mind and the moon are called "Mathi". Here is another Tamil song you may enjoy.

Thyagarajan, Mistt and shyamala1234 like this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

That is a great one.Now I understand why the Doctor asked me to throw away the fitbit.
    Regards SLN

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.