How Good A Liar Are You?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just a fun thread! :grinning: Please no deep confessions! :nono:

liar2.jpg

How good a liar are you?

What kind of lies have you had to tell sometimes?

You do lie at times but those are only 'white lies' told for the overall good of mankind and world peace?

Does it bother you to tell a lie? How do you get over the bother?

How have you improved as a liar over time? :grinning::grinning:

Lies told to kids "The iPad is broken." or to a friend "really, the haircut looks good on you" can be listed but don't really count.

Amica, Thyagarajan, Vaikuntha and 4 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One year I lied about mailing the tax returns on April 10th or 11th though I did it only 2 days later. The lines were long, I had to pick my kid from school, and only the postmark on the envelop matters. Plus, I wanted to file them electronically.

Amica, Thyagarajan, Vaikuntha and 2 others like this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Most of my lies have been to avoid long phone conversations or avoid picking up calls ( a quick text to the caller : with kids @kumon, kids at library kids@birthday party).
    I am not good at multitasking and do not have the luxury of long chats

Amica, Thyagarajan, Vaikuntha and 2 others like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I’m bad at lies. I can easily get caught if I’m lying.
    But if it’s over phone I can manage somehow but feel guilty later :confused:

Most of my common lies are to my mom telling that I had breakfast even if I haven’t :(:p

And to avoid calls even if I hear the phone ringing I don’t pickup. I will call back after a while when I’m in a mood to talk and then tell them that the phone was in silent mode :cool:

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

This... most definitely for this and this alone!!:D

Amica, SunPa, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Lies ? Usually we had "forward looking statements (FLS)" between one another. Neither was good at it. However, we executed grand lies at work; thinking back on them now, we'd class them as misdirection, or even FLS. These fibs in personal life were all eventually confessed, and made up. However, lying to others in defense of our homestead-fortress came more easily.

We had lied on the phone occasionally about whether or not s/he is available to talk -- to office colleagues, and even to close relatives. oh... especially to close relatives, I think. "Long distance calls" used to be expensive, and since most calls of close relatives would be interminable, we'd like to have the wrong-one receive it and lie about the availability of the wanted.

I think all of that had been heeded well enough, learnt, adapted, modified, and being used against us now. :blush: Yet another parenting success story.

I have come to the place where I'd grant that lying is OK, so long as it is not too disturbing, and the lied-to knows s/he is being lied to, and can quietly laugh about it, and let it go.

Amica, Rihana, abcd5 and 2 others like this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I can lie to my kid - I am very convincing. But not with DH. He reads me so fast. He asks a couple of questions and my cover is blown.

Amica, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I am still thinking because you are asking whether I am or was a good lier!
    2. How do I know I was good or bad at it?
    3. But I read a quote when I was young that says it is an art.
    Here it is:
    Telling lies is a fault in a boy, an art in a lover, an accomplishment in a bachelor, and second-nature in a married man.”
    4. When I was in college it was compulsory to attend a three weeks summer NCC Camp at a god forsaken place and we cadets were all asked to perform numerous functions as if we were in battlefield. We erected our tent, dug up pit all around and night sentries. A week later, many found it was boring wanting to leave the camp soon. Those who need to go on genuine reasons would be permitted to leave but no certificate of attendance would not be given. “That Certificate compulsory for admission to future higher courses “ said the director of the camp. With this, Even cadets with genuine reasons were reluctant to leave. We were asked to raise hands who would like to forsake certificate and leave. I felt it was a lie. I had no genuine reason except that camp was boring. I and my friend decided to quit and risen our hands. We were asked reasons. I bluffed that my mom in hospital and my friend lied that his dad serious in hospital. Our statement was considered “true” and the director believed our lie. And said “you both must be telling the truth . Do not worry. You are permitted and certificate also would be awarded. You both can go home”.
    Director lied to us and I with my friend lied to him .
    Lie for lie and best of my lies I suppose.

Thanks and Regards.
    God - lies camouflaged in His world!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Amica, Laks09, vidhyalakshmid and 2 others like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I am bad at this so I don’t.... whatever it is my husband will know and I feel relieved ...

my lies are more from school days, I remember the election result day and I bunked school as Good old DD used to play movies in between election result bulletins ... I lied that I had to attend a function and my teacher was like oh ya really .... very bad at it

Amica, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame