1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapist in chennai - help please

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Durga12, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Durga12

Durga12 New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,
    I am silent reader of this forum and I am here now to seek some help.

I am mother of 2 and half year old twin toddlers. ( premature)They are far behind in speech for their age. They know less than 10 words, sing few rhyme tunes, one of the twin knows letter a-z and numbers from 1-10.

I want to get them speech assessed and start therapy to help with their speech. I have gone through this forum and also have googled for speech therapist in chennai.

Though there are n number of speech therapist in chennai, I want to take my twins to the one who is more effective and can produce results in short time.

So IL friends, please suggest some good speech therapist in chennai based on Your personal experience or friends/relatives experience.

Your recommendation will be highly helpful.

Thanks.
    Durga

2. Durga12

Durga12 New IL'ite

Dear friends.. I see that many have viewed but no reply :-( I am looking for some good speech therapist as I will be coming to chennai in dec and will be there for few months just to get speech therapy for my twins. As there will be little time, I want to make the most of it by taking them to right therapist. Please kindly suggest.

3. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

@Shanvy mam, i thought you will be able to help.

OP more details about your kiddos would help a bit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@durga12

recently asked around and there was this person recommended by some one who works with differently abled children, for another ilite. she has not mentioned any of these details in the open forum only through pm. so sorry i can't connect both of you.. it is upto that ilite to come forward to help you.

Dr.Lakshmi narayan. he seems to be really good,near thiruvanmiyur bus depo. you do not have pm access..i could share his mobile number which was given to me.

there is another reco, but the other person has stopped taking cases.
    you have not given area - there is one palanivelu near velachery mrts.

and srmc pediatric therapy comes highly recommended by a friend.

There is no speedy miracles..it all depends on you, your child and the doctor. i hope there are no major issues, and you are going in for a evaluation for your own peace of mind.

all the best..

5. Durga12

Durga12 New IL'ite

@ashwinid01 - thanks for requesting shanvy to help.
    @Shanvy - thanks for taking time to reply to my query.
    I will be staying at my mom's place in kelambakkam, so my preferrence would be
    speech therapist around that area. However distance doesnt matter, as far as speech therapist is good.

Pls share Dr. Lakshmi Narayan's contact number. Meanwhile i will try to get in touch with Mr. Palani velu.

I too heard about srmc in this forum, but someone did mention that though assessment will be by doctors, therapy will be done by students. I dont underestimate students, but experienced person might know better techniques and tailor the therapy based on kids personality and response to therapy. Anyways will have them in my list.

You are right and I too agree that there would be no speedy miracles. But as worried mom, wish for some miracle to happen.

My twins were premature by 7 weeks, and they were bit behind in reaching most of their milestones. So I wasnt really worried about their speech, as I thought they will slowly pick up just like other skills. Now at 2.5 years, they dont call us mama or papa, though they know who is mama and papa. They do follow some simple instructions, will scream papa on seeing dad returning from work. They know to point to objects when asked for, and know few words less than 1o though. But when it comes to actual speech of expressing their needs etc, they dont. If they want anything they will just drag me and point to it, or start crying.

Here I raised my concern with GP and Paediatrician when they were around 21 months old. They brushed it aside saying boys are generally slow, and they will pick it up, and to wait till they are 2.5 years old, which they are now. After repeated attempts, they finally referred us to speech therapist for assessement and finally got an appointment for assessment which is in 2 weeks time. Meanwhile I had planned trip to India, as I wasnt sure how long would it take for assessment appointment to come through. Also thought it would be good for twins to be in India for a while as social interaction will be quite a lot, which would benefit them in speech.

Also they were going to daycare since they were 1, but it didnt help them in speech as they were with kids under 2's section, and most of them were quite younger than them. Now they have been moved to above 2's section, which stimulates them more, not much though.

Big mistake on my part was to play videos/rhymes on you tube, while feeding them as they were fussy eaters, and thought it would anyway help them to learn rhymes etc. Also managing two on my own was quite difficult(my hubby helped a lot though), so to keep them engaged while i finish off household chores, I allowed them to watch them. As soon as I realised this was affecting their speech, have limited their screen time.

thanks once again for all your help. pls let me know if you come across any other good therapist. I am thinnking of visiting couple of therapist based on recommendations, and finalise one.

thanks & regards
    Durga

6. Durga12

Durga12 New IL'ite

@Shanvy
    I tried getting dr. Lakshmi Narayan number, couldn't. Cud u pls share

7. VarshaaKumares

VarshaaKumares New IL'ite

Hi Durga,
    Not sure if you are active in the forum now would.like to know how your kid progressed I am facing similar issues with my son who.is 2.5 years old.