1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing Between Allegiance To Two Countries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes. That is the reason I had linked the website with the story of Qian Xuesen, a well educated upper middle class MIT-alum and CalTech professor. Here is a link specific to him.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Let us face it. It is being discussed on IL grounded in USA, a country of migrants. Migration has been going on from time immemorial.
    Long back, I became friendly with a Punjabi gentleman who had to come to India from Pakistan due to partition. After lot of struggles, he settled a business in Kolkata and very successfully at that. He said, your allegiance is for the place that gives you bread. A good many Hindus stayed back in Pakistan and so did a good many Muslims in India. The reason? They had jobs, businesses, property and settled life. They decided to take risk for the sake of their life.
    So, once, after taking citizenship here and surrendering citizenship in India, the allegiance is for the job, property and business and not for the land.

Thyagarajan and kaluputti like this.
  3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

"What if they are called upon to make a choice in a more serious context and when the stakes are high? A person’s birth country and adopted country are engaged in cyberwarfare that can wipe out an entire city in one country. The person has an expertise about fighting cyber threads that only few people in the world possess. Which country should he help? This is only an example of a conflict such people can face."
    in such a situation, of course a person should help the country that does dharmic warfare, i.e. defending and not offending, the motive behind the cyber warfare etc.Country identification should lead to species, human ID...??? We need to transcend the borders and consider all as kin.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Well said. Kudos to your wonderful reply. pragmatic at that.
    Thanks and Regards.

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Now that we had named these two nations..... here is somethings in common for these two:
    • Both have a surfeit of bodies, they need to export, i.e. get rid of. And they had been at it for quite sometime. Encouraging emigration is one way to do that, when pestilence, and famines fail.
    • Both treat women horribly; in this case it is almost competitive. So the allegiance-choice for immigrant-girls is easy.o_O.
    • as for cyberwars, one makes hardwares, and other makes software.
    • Both are wary about hegemonies.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That was fantastic read of QX thanks to you providing the link.
    2. I read the entire link in one go and was impressed in particular with that one paragraph where it says (quote)
    In August, Tsien had a conversation on the subject with the then Under Secretary of the NavyDan A. Kimball, whom Tsien knew on a personal basis. After Tsien told him of the allegations, Kimball responded, "Hell, I don't think you're a Communist", at which point Tsien indicated that he still intended to leave the country, saying "I'm Chinese. I don't want to build weapons to kill my countrymen. It's that simple." Kimball then said, "I won't let you out of the country."( unquote)
    Is that allegiance or patriotism or loyalty or a mixture of all.
    Thanks and Regards.