1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Like To Join With Me To Do Intermittent Fasting.

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by deepthivinayak1, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Itsmylife143

Itsmylife143 Platinum IL'ite

If you keep milk in your fasting hours means you are raising insulin which helps to turn the blood sugar to energy. Fasting means not eating anything, by this way your body insulin will be low and your body uses stored fat has energy. Add artificial sweeteners, milk, bone broth it is not fasting. Mostly stick to Water, Green tea, black tea or black coffee.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  2. Itsmylife143

Fasting is healing, you are repairing your body. After 12 hours of eating your last meals, your body enters into the fat-burning mode which is the stored fat. Many people do a workout in fasting hours that too when they are close to breaking the fast that time body burns more stored fat. That is called ketosis. Our body metabolism can run on Glucose which is from Carbs and Fat which is from Ghee, butter, coconut oil, etc. But it cant run on both at a time so it will go for glucose first once it supplies is finished it will use fat. Any form of physical activity helps you to burn more fat during the long fasting hours. Drink more water in your fasting hours and eat good fat and protein in the eating window.

3. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

I understand ur explanation and i strictly followed the same for two weeks. But I also heard ppl follow keto along w IF and has good results too. And in keto ppl have a bullet coffee w butter, coconut oil and cream etc eww, as morning coffee then fast.
    Is loosing weight with IF slow. When do u exactly start seeing results. I feel lighter less bloat etc but really looking forward to shed those extra pounds.
    My post partum weight is hard to loose, I still didn’t get back to my pre preg weight and struggling. Any tips on how to shrink that tummy.

4. Itsmylife143

Keto or IF both have one thing in common is "Ketosis" burning stored fat has the energy which we need. IF with Keto is more results because the body throughout it will be in ketosis because of the carb intake is low and protein is moderate and fat is high. If you are heavy women to lose more weight and fat means in a month you may lose more kgs with a combo of IF & Keto, if you are women who close to BMI should lose weight means it will take time because you have to lose stored fat. The body stored fat is unused calories of carbs and protein which comes from all the food. The fat you eat on keto is good. Here IF with any diet will fetch results until your body adjusted to the fasting & results vary from person to person and it will be not as fat as Keto. My advice is if you are obese person means start keto after some time add IF to your keto. You are not obese just have to lose a couple of kgs means IF with good proteins and moderate fat with low carb do cardio it helps. Protein helps to build muscle.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would love to join. Tried several ways of dieting and exercising, but with my busiest work and life schedules, I often take my weight loss goals lightly.
    But I feel I should do something, and IF seems like a great start.

Since I am about to observe fasting 40 days for the upcoming Lent season (starting from last week of Feb, I guess), I think it is easier, rather the best time to think about IF.
    Perhaps fasting from 6 am -6 pm

How long we should fast?
    For me, 12 hr at a stretch is possible if it is day time.

What is OK to consume inbetween?
    I hope it is OK to drink water, and perhaps sugarless tea or coffee (black).

After Lent season, I might shift the schedule for night time, which is much easier for me.
    I might try fasting from 7pm to 10 am. And in between most of the time (max 8 hrs) would be gone sleeping, and the rest would be on relaxing mode, so the body won't be craving much.

Good luck everyone

Itsmylife143 and Rihana like this.
  6. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Nah I’m not interested in Keto, I was just debating on whether to put milk in my coffee or not. With keto they do and it’s the same concept in IF. I am sticking w IF alone. And I’m not obese just extra pounds from pregnancy that I’m unable to loose. I was v slim, now I look bit healthier. I am aiming at loose those 15-20 pounds just to get back to old self. I hate butter and oil, thought Of putting those in coffee make me feel yuck. So keto is not for me. And being veggie doesn’t work at all. Thanks for ur input

7. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Yes better to start off w 16:8 you can eat 8hrs fast 16hrs. I break my fast around 11:30 to 12. And finish dinner around 7:30 to 8pm. Try what’s convenient for u.. u can eat little early if u think u r unable to handle, it takes few weeks to adjust to the routine. Fasting time drink water or black tea coffee green tea is fine and electrolytes. Goodluck to u too

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I needed to add milk to my morning coffee during IF, I would do it because it would help me with the overall goal. And for the reasons listed in that video.

From The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr. Jason Fung:
    Tea: All types of tea are excellent choices, including green, black, oolong, and herbal. Adding a small amount of cream of milk to your tea is acceptable (see below) ...
    Coffee: Coffee, both caffeinated and decaffeinated, is permitted during a fast. We also permit a small amount of cream or coconut oil to be added to coffee or tea. While this does technically mean it’s not a true fast, the effect is small enough that it seems to make no difference to the overall outcome of the fast. Furthermore, this flexibility may improve your ability to stick to the program. By “small amount,” we mean 1 to 2 teaspoons of cream or coconut oil—nowhere near the copious amounts of fat used in bulletproof coffee.

Bone Broth: Homemade bone broth, made from beef, pork, chicken, or fish bones, is a good choice for fasting days. ... There is also a small amount of protein and some minerals (calcium and magnesium) in bone broth, so technically, any fast that allows broth is not a true fast. But many people have found that the broth makes a longer-duration fast much more bearable.

I am still new to IF. My approach is to do what I can do without stressing myself too much at one time. First step was to eat dinner a little early and breakfast a little late. Next, I learnt to ignore the hunger pangs that need to be ignored. A water only 16 hour fast came naturally. But if it hadn't, I would take the little milk or whatever needed.

My next step is to cut down the sugar during the feasting time. Then, will be cut down on processed foods.

AmulB and Itsmylife143 like this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Vegetable juices people say have cleansing qualitaties. Can that help taking in the morning in fast time? Not as breaking fast.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can choose the time based on your schedule. Also, for some people it is hard to even think of skipping breakfast. For some dinner is avoidable. So, the guides say to listen to your body.

All the IF schedules I read included sleep time (~ 8 hours) in the fasting period. So, the 15 or 16 hour fast becomes more doable.

Water, tea, coffee (without sugar, milk/cream), bone broth are OK to consume, is what I have read. I started drinking green tea just for IF. It kind of helps but the first few sips taste literally like saw dust.

That would be a good start. Then, increase it to 16 hours.

If I may suggest: at least for the first 2-3 months, don't think too much about weight loss. Use IF as a healthier life-style habit, and become deeply aware of the mental and physical benefits it brings to you. Of course, there are people who are trying IF as they need to lose weight for medical reason and they obviously have to keep track of weight.

Itsmylife143 likes this.