1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Limit?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shravs3, Feb 10, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

How much gold can you carry to India?
    The Indian website says it’s 50k for men and 1 lakh for women.
    If there is any wedding or function then how do everyone carry the jewellery? Are you supposed to pay duty for all of the excess gold?
    And how to carry them safely?
    In check in bag or carry on? I heard some people pack it in check in but how safe it is ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t know the limit but never put any valuables in checked bags. Especially not jewelry.
    FWIW my aunt always travels dressed like a GRT ad, and has not paid anything at customs.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Check This link, You will get info for most of your doubts. Never ever keep any valuables in checked bags. If you have any gold coin/biscuit, turn it into any jewelry. What I feel is, it also depends which airport you landed on . Good luck!

shravs3 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I remember a lady who wore tons of gold on my way to US last time. I was shocked when I saw her wondering why is she wearing so much jewellery :grinning:
    Now I got to know why :)

5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Now I have an another question? :blush:
    Where do you get genuine gold coins in US? I have checked some websites but I wasn’t sure how genuine it is. My destination will be mostly Bangalore. Not sure much about the customs there...

Sunshine04 likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Bangalore is very relaxed.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

In US they sell certified gold coins from different countries like Canadian Maple leaf, Swiss bars and US Eagle. They all are 0.999 24 carat gold. There is difference based on market resale value. You should look up for reviews in yelp for local coin business and get from them. You can even purchase from Indian jewellery store. If you are purchasing more than certain number (I don't remember since I don't purchase anymore) you can get it without tax and close to market price without commission. Even online websites like kitco are reliable.

From practical perspective what is the purpose of buying gold coin ?

shravs3 likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Turn it into jewellery

Sunshine04 likes this.
  9. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I don't have any idea on reliable websites and we bought a gold biscuit only once at Dubai airport 5 years ago when coming back from our India visit. I never have encounter any trouble in Chennai and Bangalore airports. If they ask anything about jewelry, just tell them they aren't new and bought them long ago.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

I usually take a receipt at an Indian airport I am traveling from for whatever used jewelry I carry. Always carry in a hand bag. As, sometimes in middle eastern airports, they ask you to check in carryons as well. Once I was asked to pay duty for a gold bar. Otherwise, you are allowed a certain amount of jewelry without duty. The amount depends on the duration of your stay outside India. Many airports are lenient with wearable jewelry, but many are not. I once had to clear customs at coimbatore for a chennai tkt as the plane was rerouted.. Always carry the bill.

shravs3 likes this.