1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mythili-full Moon And Breeze In My Life-part 1

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Feb 3, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Mythili-full moon and breeze in my life –part 1

“Andha naal nyabagam vandhade nenjile-nanbargale

Indhanaal Andrupol inbamai illaye-adhu yen

Nooru sondam vandapinbum –nanbargale

Theduginra amaidhi engae”tamil film uyarndha manidhan[

Translated :

Recalled the golden days of the past

Why today is not as happy as in the past

Hundred relations have sprung up

Yet where is the peace I am searching for

[ May 11-2020 would have been our 50th wedding anniversary if Mythili had been with us]

We got married in 1970. It was an arranged marriage. I am a professional graduate in Agriculture and she was a PG in Economics. I am on the brownish side and she was very fair. I have a prominent forehead, long nose and she had a round face like a full moon. She was an introvert and I am an extrovert. Both of us voracious readers-she liked historical novels,Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Bronte sisters. I am fond of A.J. Cronin, Erle Stanley Gardner, P.G.Wodehouse, Irving Wallace and R.K.Narayan. Both of us had a middle class background, she was brought up by her elder brother and I am the eldest of ten children. What bound us together was my sense of humour and her unabashed laughter. Our common goal was to make it big in life.

We had not talked to each other before marriage and the responsibility was delegated to seniors in both families. I had taken just a week holiday for the marriage and honeymoon was a short trip to Sathanur Dam and Mattukara Velan Movie. What mattered was that we were together by ourselves.
    We were on the train to Bhubaneshwar, my work place with my mother. For the first time somebody was bringing me food,coffee,towel etc and I revelled in my wife's attention. We reached my independent house with a garden to be received with Aarthi by my gracious neighbour Saraswathi Mami.

One day I took Mythili and my mother to a Sardarji friend’s house and introduced Mythili to the Sardarini and her MIL. I told my mother that that I would come back in a minute and disappeared for half an hour. This is what unfolded, as told by my mother and Mythili (trying to suppress her laughter) . The Sardarinis knew Hindi only and my wards only English and Tamil. Both the groups smiled at each other at regular intervals and they could not converse. The Sardarni would bring Laddoos and my mother would say no in gesture. Thinking that my mother did not like Laddoo, she would offer some other sweet followed by dry fruits etc. The same refusal. My mother told Mythili that”your husband has purposely done this to have fun at our expense. Be careful with this fellow.” This was Mythili's first introduction about me.

Subsequently I told my mother,much to Mythili’s amusement, that it was an experiment to see her handling a situation beyond her control as she maintained absolute control over the family. My first daughter was born in Cuttack and the bundle of joy lying between us in the bed brought a new meaning to life.

We shifted to Hubli and my territory included Goa. Some of us went with family to the Donapaula beach .A group of fishermen were singing ' Ya Ya Mayaya', a captivating Konkani song. Coconut shells attached with strings were their instruments. The roar of the sea, lovely breeze, full moon and the lilting music, what do you do ? Have a glass of beer and break into a dance. My colleagues and I danced and it included Bharanatyam,kuchipudi and whatever steps we remembered from actor Nagesh’s dance in the famous movie Server Sundaram. Mythili watched me with dismay but the steps of the Goan singers, with admiration. That night, contrary to my fear,she appreciated my dance but hinted that this cannot happen at home also.

I introduced her to the game of Rummy at nominal stakes in the officers club where we invariably went on weekends. She had a habit of laughing when she had two or more jokers and everybody would immediately pack up. She was a person who could not control her laughter. My second daughter was born in Hubli and we decided that we will not add to the woes of the country.

[To be Continued]

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @sln
    :hello:I enjoyed reading of the humorous narration with mixed emotions.
    Since it is going to be continued, I take this part - as prologue - until then I read between the lines to explore more humour.
    Mythili Ennai Kaathali was the movie of1986 came to my mind with three beautiful songs. Uyarndha manithan lyrics reminded the matinee show I enjoyed watching with my class mates - cutting afternoon classes during first year grad. Your choosing that song for intro here in this post is most befitting

2. May is approaching and so the trigger - I understood.

3. Donapaula -Goa reminds me something am reflecting on this. Had stayed in National institute of oceanography and enjoyed submarine ride and the serene surroundings - all of course with spouse.
    • Dona Paula - According to a local myth, Dona Paula entombed in the Cabo Chapel, the residence of the Governor of Goa and is supposed to be seen emerging from the moonlit waves wearing only a pearl necklace.

More FB only after reading next part(s).

God is Church & also THANJAI Periya Temple & Goddess Mythili is consort of Lord Rama.

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Thygarajan,
    As the date approaches, there is a sombre air at home and every topic discussed ends up with Mythili.I thought therefore to recall our happy days full of understanding and fun despite great challenges we faced in supporting the family,getting four sisters married etc.Idukan vandhal naguha the statement of the sage steered us through the turbulence.What better way to pay obeisance to the lady than to write and tell the world-Madam you were great.
    There will be 5/6 parts and proof reading is on.Keying with one finger was a tough job but I think it is worth the effort.
    Thanks and regards
    SLN

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This is a great snippet, Sir. I always enjoyed reading Mrs. Mythili’s contributions to this forum. I hope time has brought you some solace.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Her writings along with mine have been left for the next generation in our family as a book.Give her an idea she could bring the whole scene before you.I cant get over yet even though it is almost nine years since she passed away.You will understand this better as the remaining five parts are released after proof reading and editing.At 83 it is a tough job for me.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear SLN sir,
    A great writing about Mrs. Mythili.
    Though she is not physically with you she is always with you in your heart.
    By the time I joined IL she was no more in this world. I read some of her snippets and later I bought the book published and read all. What a free flow of ideas and description of events!!! A couple made for each other. Looking forward to the other parts of your life with her.
    Regards
    Symala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shymala,
    Thanks for your kind sentiments.There are about 20 articles by Mythili and around 25 authored by me yet to be published.The level of energy enjoyed 5 years back no linger exists.Hope some day my daughters will take up the publication.It is very difficult not to remember Mythili as she pops up like an ad every time we do something.As I had written earlier-the flower has withered but the fragrance lingers.
    Regards.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,

I was fortunate to interact with Ma'am while she was alive, even though it was for a very brief period. I had recently joined IL. It was my desire to meet her but unfortunately that was not to be.

Enjoyed reading your memories of her and waiting for the next part ..... and more.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Thanks.Through these snippets I am trying to bring out the essence of her personality as a
    good human being.
    Regards
    SLN

satchitananda likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Mama

You brought memories of Mythili through this snippet. I had read her writings and all superb She was gem of a person

Glad I had the opportunity to meet her
    Thanks to my niece who made it possible. Still remember that day and the way you took care of her.