Organic Vs Non Organic Foods? Hyped Or Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 28, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Mehana and anika987 like this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I have never visited one, waiting to visit from long time. Mostly it happens on weekends and get over by 11am.

Yes they even sell dairy and eggs but not sure of meat though.

anika987 likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Buy local as much as possible. I shop at farmers markets from spring to fall. Many of the farms are not certified organic because they are small businesses and the costs and requirements to get the label are high. But they follow largely organic and biodynamic methods and the food and produce they sell doesn’t travel more than 100 miles from the source. Most of these farmers, cheese makers and beekeepers are also happy to answer questions about their products.
    When I can’t get to a farmers market I go to our local independent organic store which sources products very well. I detest places like Whole Foods and will not willingly shop there.
    I buy organic milk, eggs from free-ranging hens, the dirty dozen on a regular basis. I don’t eat meat but my husband does, so we buy that also either at the farmers market or from our local store. Since we only buy small quantities I don’t mind paying extra for ethically raised meat and chicken.

Vaikuntha, anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I totally ignore the debate and don’t care for organic products , I think it is a hype and is not sustainable for world population so it better to get used to what is more sustainable.

I specifically avoid organic spinach as I see news of salmonella from time to time on organic spinach

local profits in local farmer markets - you really cannot say it it organic unless you know the farm and their farming methodology ...

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  5. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Good question OP,

I sometimes feel the Organic label is overrated just to make consumers go over board with their buying, with all the articles releasing everyday and directing everything to causing cancer always concerns me..

I try to avoid GMO products in general and pick cage-free poultry stuff, and just bring Organic from dirty dozen list. And we do backyard gardening from spring - fall and have enough produce and variety which our family likes and will get only basics during these months and if we are lucky I freeze some like tomotoes, green chillies for winter months!!

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  6. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Read the label of the food you purchase, if it is labeled. Like many mentioned farmers market are good options, definitely they taste better in case of vegetables and fruits. I wouldn't rely meat and poultry from a farmers market, (paranoid about salmoella if it is not pasteurized) and you dont know the source very well (unless you are standing in front of them when they are deboning the chicken infront of you). Also, if you eat seafood, farm raised is not recommended when compared to wildcaught and you can't get this from a farmer's market (this is in my area, I live in a land locked state). For this reason, big stores are reliable to some extent. Overall I don't buy organic very much, because I dont know if it worth all that extra money. But I try to cook all my meals at home, so buying processed food is almost nil, and eating out is limited to 10-12 times a year. I dont buy any vegetables from Indian stores (except for moringa leaves) or other oriental stores, I buy only dry items that are pressure cooked from these stores.
    So I stay away from only processed food and restaurant food.

I am still not sure about this GMO or non GMO stuff, a lot of information out there are contradictory.

anika987 likes this.