1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Skin-care Routine To Manage Dry-skin Causing Itch

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by SuiDhaaga, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Can you tell me what Aryuveda says about routine to manage Xerosis (dry skin) causing Pruritus (intense body itch).

Now when I shower I only use Neutrogena Body Wash twice a week.

After I shower and pat dry I liberally apply coconut oil from face to toe (I oil and shampoo hair twice a week).

Before I sleep I liberally apply coconut oil from face to toe.

If itch is especially horrible, I smear myself in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.

I'm starting to get couple of hours of sleep, but I'm still in the woods. I'll be done with course of Prednisone 10mg this Thursday.

Keeping fingers crossed

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020

2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

To reduce itching apply mustard oil to the entire body and take bath with an Ayurvedic ubtan (bath powder) after one hour. A friend of mine had similar issues and took steroids, yet nothing helped. I gave her a sample of this Aromatic Sunninpindi/nalugu Pindi (bath Powder) to try. She responded that it helped reduce redness and itching.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Thyagarajan and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, I think its a good idea to consult an ayurvedic doctor in India (Many your family member can help you with this, if you can send them your medical report by doctors here) .May be they will prescribe some medicine/oil. Most of the ayurvedic oils by leading brands are available in Amazon.

Generally, using coconut /sesame oil on skin, drinking lot of water (warm preferable), eating nutritious food especially water rich vegetables ( cucumbor, water melon , salads etc), exercise, good sleep, attempts to reduce stress by using yoga/meditation etc can help. Also make sure you dont use use warm water for long while taking bath, use cotton clothes that can breath, make use to reduce room temperature(<70 F) and use a humidifier. Sarna Anti-Itch Lotion can help itching. Steroids are not good for long term use.

Is this condition seasonal ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Thyagarajan and SuiDhaaga like this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

Will try mustard oil.

I like the idea of bath powder ---- will get assistance to create this

Thyagarajan and virtualkv2020 like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

For past two years the problem starts mid Oct and really flares up in the dead of winter, i.e. January.

Now I am reducing room temperature (even avoid turning on heater).

Got another humidifier at other end of apartment. I only wash with soap twice a week instead of everyday, and I'd like to use Aryuvedic bath powder instead.

I'm still so traumatized by past few weeks.

Doctor is tapering off steroid to 5mg, take 2 on even day, 1 on odd day. When I asked for how long he said at least a month, and he gave 60 tablets. Every time I take I am praying that everything will be ok.

Clothes are tighter so I am wearing loose cotton salwar at home. Will do walking routine (lifting 5lb weights is so unbearable, probably unaccustomed after long time), and will re-visit food habits, i.e. no processed, oily foods for me.

Hoping I can do vipassana meditation several hours on Sunday (during rest of week I meditate 20 minutes at a time, at least twice a day)

Thank you for all your advice.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: @SuiDhaaga
    In colder climate conditions, hydroxyl soaps must be avoided. Irrespective of season, age, skin sensitivity- Soaps containing ph value over 9 or 10 seems to be very good without causing itching.
    2. I was posted in Delhi during August. By force of habit, I was using my regular bath soap Mysore sandal wood bar. Inside my suit at random places I was getting itching making me dance while lecturing trainees.

3. Then I learnt I must use mustard oil and wash it off gently with soap nut powder allowing a very very thin oil layer to remain over the skin.
    • From August to Holi, I stopped using bath soap till I was in Delhi.
    • Allopathy or English medicines for skin treatment by oral methods fraught with dangers of After effect.
    • water supplied in certain Cities or metros reported causing itching after bath. Bath in Well water and treated water supplied by corporation makes lot of difference. Excess chlorine in water treatment can also cause body itching when used for bath.
    • Some reported itching after finishing swimming in private pools and public as well.
    Best wishes
    Regards.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    SuiDhaaga and virtualkv2020 like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I am glad to know Sir that you were able to resolve your skin issues.Yes according to Ayurvedic scriptures Mustard oil massage followed by a herbal bath powder wash does wonders to the skin.

SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

For a month or so stop all soap, and see if it helps. Use pure coconut oil, not the parachute crap. Go to whole foods and buy a jar of cold pressed unrefined coconut oil - it’s for cooking actually so 100% pure and no preservatives - which is good since the oil penetrates in through skin and preservatives can irritate. And use that.

If you apply oil and take bath with out soap with lukewarm hot water the heat and chlorine in the water will wash off the oils and clean your skin so don’t worry about that. At least for a month or so you should be okay.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You have confirmed my suspicion that winter dryness create issue in your case...I am sure you feel better soon. Reduce the use soap you use. Use mild glycerin soaps like pears ( you get it in Amazon or probably dollar stores). . Also open window of your apartment for some time, if its possible. Make sure you get out and breath fresh air. One humidifier should be in your bed room especially during sleep time. Also reduce the use of warm water for taking bath. if its too cold you can use a good jacket or shawl ,but reduce temperature. continue your steps of skin care with coconut oil. You can use loose cotton pyjama or nightgown during sleep. Drink lot of warm water (2-3 liter) . If you can do some excercise that make you sweat like zumba or similar cardiac exercises.

Dont worry, you will feel better soon. Skin is very slow to respond. It take time to heal . Be optimistic.

I used steroids cream for many months to recover my healthy skin. Later only I have realised that my room temperature was very high,(75 For above) which resulted in very dry air inside my home.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I wish to add a rejoinder that vitamin B supplements helps if skin irritation is due to winter stress. I gathered this from health capsules by Bron Smith based on study by a university .
    Regards.

SuiDhaaga likes this.