1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Asking For A Friend. Do Mri Hurts Ears?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gknew, Nov 24, 2019.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It was a long time ago, so I don’t remember about any headphones. I might have had them as I don’t recollect anything happening to my ears. Only my lower body was in the machine but even that was a very uncomfortable sensation.

gknew likes this.
  2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

they gave an attachment (that looks like those huge headphones) to cover the ears.

None of my relatives(till now) complained of ear pain (one mentioned slight ringing) after MRI.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks @MalStrom. She also said that it's a very uncomfortable sensation and was waiting for it to get over.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for replying.

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I have had MRI during breast exam since they found a lump and had to do MRI . For me they had to inject a liquid . It was really stressful since I was worried about the results . They did give me head phones and they offered to give anesthesia to put me to sleep since they said the noise will be too loud . The earbuds did block the noise but I found later that my head was hurting for couple of days . I wouldn’t recommend mri unless and absolutely necessary . Your friend will be fine .

gknew likes this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@MalStrom are you claustrophobic? I’m and this is preventing me to travel in airplane for long hours .

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Not generally, just during the MRI. I detest the window seat in airplanes though and I will only sit in the aisle seat where I can easily get up any time. I have heard that cognitive behavioral therapy and breathing exercises can help with flight anxiety.

gknew likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @mangaii for the reply. Appreciate it.
    Yeah, she was provided the foam ear buds and not the headphones. No injections or anesthesia. So the noise was very loud for her. Ear pain and fullness still there for her. Hope it subsides soon.

9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I second you on that. I felt like I was in a coffin when I entered the machine. The tube was narrow, there was hardly any room and it was *dark*. I wanted to throw up really bad. I told the assistant I don't want to do it, she told she had already injected the dye and it will be the same any other day. After coaxing and convincing by dh and assistant, I agreed to get in, only this time I closed my eyes before entering and didn't open them for a good 1/2 hr, just kept on counting numbers to 3000 and thinking about God. I did not open my eyes at all. It was all done finally and I never ever wanted to have an MRI ever in my life again. At that time the sound was not a problem at all, just the relief of having it done was so good.

gknew likes this.
  10. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have a related query..since metal is not allowed inside MRI machine, what do people do if they have any metallic implants in their body’s?for example,orthopaedic plates, screws after any orthopaedic surgery...or fixed dental implants such as dental crowns, orthodontic fixed braces, fixed orthodontic retainers, etc? Which can’t be removed? What happens if they need an MRI for any health issue? I see it safe to do MRI or not?
    And will they be given any special patch which can safeguard that area maybe?
    Anyone knows kindly reply.
    Require for a known person who may need to do an MRI shortly...