Why Should We Act Our Age?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 18, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Age is a number.Biological age is different from a number assigned.
    Typically many people maintain or look younger or older than what they should be.

Why should age determine how we should be or behave?

I am a very active person.Am sure many are.I have..Infact more desires and interests than when I was a teen.

I see many women and men talk like “Yeah am in my late thirties or forties..that’s why I should be this way,or that is why I am getting body ache etc etc”..

or I cannot wear this particular dress coz I am not a twenty year old..

Or I cannot express if someone of the opposite gender look desirable who is younger than me coz it is considered gross(?)

In India especially for some jobs in newspapers..if you see an ad “looking for a lady,who is under 25..”..is it a matrimonial ad?Experience in the work or Hardwork and talent should be scaled than just age.

Even people around us our family asks us to remember our age and act.

I understand behaving courteous and respectful is good but why needs to curb their desires?

I went to a party and I danced to my heart’s content.All the guys and girls around me were under 25.Am not kidding,but after the dance some family member mentioned my age to them and they were like shocked and talking about it to each other..
    Why can’t I dance with you coz am a decade and more older than you?

Went to a pub back in India with some friends and when I mentioned this to my cousin brother..he was like “Hmm..what were you married aunties doing there?”

Things are surely changing these days and nowadays if we look around,people are enjoying life and everyone has the desires but constantly getting judged.

Certain celebs like malaika are receiving a lot of flak for her dressing and lifestyle coz she is a mom and she is 47 etc.Good for her she doesn’t care but it is unfair that she is receiving that.Whether she has a great body or not,she surely deserves to dress or be who she is.

Maturity is one thing but hobbies and passions for certain things is expected to be curbed by the society.

what are your thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Thyagarajan, sindmani, Rihana and 2 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I think people in gatherings look at others, and decide what age the observed are. Healthy looking, well groomed, active people tend to seem younger than their biological age, and sad looking specimens, who are ostentatiously ill-kempt, and therefore hard to guess how old they could be, tend to be mysterious, and attractive in their own way.

People should be free to observe and judge, as much as people are free to do what they will when they promenade in the public and fish for comment.

Wouldn't it be a fun friday thread, if people read comments on the thread, and guessed the age of the poster ;) ?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With age comes the realization that oh-my-god life is so darned short and that people will talk no matter what.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you had bought Raja Ravi Varma's Mohini on a Swing painting from him, you'd be a rich woman now.

Your turn.

5. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Its more about bettering yourself with age...for all the minutes and hours and days you have spent, the knowing of what/ who actually matters etc.. all those true thoughts which are labelled 'deep'. The state of mind should justify the time we spent learning and knowing.. isnt it?

Just acting ones age on the surface means nothing. I think that is where the idea of 'Grow-up' came into usage.

As children no one has mind monsters to start with so they are said 'pure' and if you observe, children just live in the now, which is magical. They do not have to fight anything.

Slowly we develop many things over time.
    In my opinion, learning to emerge as a better person who is aware and can keep a check on the things we have acquired over time.. is growing up and still be a now person like a child but needs composure to do it as an adult. All other fair qualities then follow.

Age IS just a number until one grows up.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@anika987
    :hello:That is a nice topic to deliberate. You have raised fundamental question.
    Here are possible answers.
    Entire cosmetic industry depends on ageing people who believe that they can mask their age with aids!
    2. Young one acts like adults and vice versa. That is the craze in certain industries.
    Elders from time immemorial warn their wayward wards to act “their”age.

3. Some despite advanced age are child like and even some childish or puerile.

4. Spouse would desire her or his partner looks and acts (occasionally) eternally youngish though grey commands respect and reflects maturity (come of age).

5. Some refused to age claiming to be incarnation of mythological Margandaya.

6. When a young celebrity weds several years senior, the later is expected to not act out His or Her age.

7. When children question beyond their age, they get pat, accolades and approbation, appreciation and even at times admonished.

8. To avoid misunderstanding one has to to exercise care keeping close to heart the cardinal principles of transactional analysis. It is “I AM YOU ARE OK”
    PAC - PARENT ADULT CHILD reactions and responses.
    IRRESPECTIVE of age if one follows these principles in right time with right people at the right moment, one can enjoy harmony even in difficult situation.

Thanks and Regards.

God it is a great analysis bless me and my sisters (at large - I mean virtual)!

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I hope I don’t face the same dilemma when I am of your age...
    Hope people are more open minded that time..
    You can live your life and enjoy to the fullest..but you have no control over expectations of others of a woman your age...
    Don’t let this put you down, and continue to stay fit, youthful, enthusiastic and energetic...but sadly though so many of my female relatives have ended up with major health issues either in their late thirties or early forties...some being hereditary problems, and many issues mostly due to neglecting health and making themselves as last priority always...esp. the premenopausal and menopause stage have taken a toll on many of my female relatives..so in this case they may be right about age...but mocking a woman who Likes to have a certain lifestyle for not acting her age is wrong...

Amulet and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

There is a saying in Malayalam - kannu thulliyal kollam, kaala thulliyalo?. It means its nice to watch a calf jump around, but not so much when the grown-up ox starts to do it.
    I think dressing and behaving according to age has a certain charm. But I am no one to judge if a 40 or 50 year old dresses like an 18 year old - whatever that means.

I strongly believe that whatever one's age, we must stay a student all life long. Eager to learn new things from younger teachers, never hesitate to correct one's mistakes and so on. So my principle is to stay young at heart like Viji amma and so many other wonderful people I see around me, including my mother.