Business Ideas Please..

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EagerForInfo, Dec 24, 2019.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Can anyone suggest business ideas for a stay at home mom??

I had a job until I had my son. Then I quit as I was not able to handle kids and job simultaneously. Moreover mine wasn’t a high paying job so sending both kids to daycare with my lower end salary didn’t make sense.

Now I am ready to get back into the job market. But even though I’ve tried to find a job since the past six months I can’t get one. I’ve had several interviews which I could not clear. ( yes they were IT).

Seeing all this I feel it would be nice to start a company or business myself as I don’t have to depend on someone else to hire me and I can make money myself.

Can you suggest ideas for a business that I can start or initiate... That I can work from home if needed. With kids who are sick a lot and with snow days and half days from school it would be nice to be able to work from home too.

We live in the US. Don’t mean to be too greedy but something which does not require too much investment nor any risk of any kind would be great.

2. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

Then business/venture ain't the right thing. Job is better.

Amica, BhumiBabe and rachaputi like this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Working from home on a business start up is not going to give you a lot of time with kids. You will have to put in quite a bit of work in the beginning.

Find something you love - craft, sewing, cooking, tutoring, trading stocks (but this is high risk since it involves a lot of money upfront) all are great options. Start small. Learn about it. Everything has it own risks, if it is less risky, return will also be less.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

There is plenty of money you can make - baby sitting, cooking meals, sewing like hemming skirts, pants etc,. even teaching children Indian language.

Sunshine04 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

All the above are great ideas. But considering I’ve studied hard it would be nice to earn more money and be more productive. All these baby sitting and cooking food I’ve seen people who have come to the US Recently and with no education do. Of course it is a nice source of income but I would want something better.

6. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

And I had considered baby sitting top “until” I get a job but if I look online it seems like we need a license even to babysit.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Business needs license, liability insurance and a sound contract. If one is unlucky and get sued, it is a headache you don't need. Lawyers can cost anywhere from $250 - $500 per hour. Not trying to scare you; as attractive and easy as it looks, there are plenty of risks, if you are not familiar with the contract aspects, rules and regulations.

8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

If you have programming knowledge or designing knowledge, you could freelance. To get started, you could start with building your portfolio. And network to companies, non-profits, friends, blogs, etc.

Topaz49 likes this.
  9. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Do we need a license to babysit ?? My Neighbhors are ready to send they’re children to me to babysit but I had declined it cause I am under the assumption that we need a license for it. ( and looking online too it’s the same )

10. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

You can tutor math online also offline
    Per hour it's 30$ & for English it's 20$ per hour.

Tutoring would be really good.
    Else you can work in Kumon , other types of math, stem based after schools.