1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship Hijack And Banter - 3

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Watched it with my morning chai. She talks so well! I liked the combination of confidence, humor with a touch of wryness, and the length of her answers. Sometime about the way she sat also exuded confidence and positive life experience.

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I too was impressed how easily she got off the couch to receive the sapling*. As one gets older, the cushiness of the cushions plot against the ease of getting off, and one has to push on the arm rest to hoist oneself as well. She is doing well.

*The sapling (instead of flowers) is something I had not seen before.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Onions, Sudha Murthy, etc...
    When something interesting, curious, yet-unknown is mentioned on some internet forum, one might want to know more. How our search, and browse habit works, and where it takes us are all unique to our own tastes and biases.

I came upon this excerpt below (in blue) of new Apps for virtual boyfriends, by getting into a search that started with @Agathinai 's mention of China's one child policy in another thread. Learnt much about how it had affected three generations (grandparents, parents and children), and how that policy also contributed to the highly skewed gender ratio in China, and how those who had reconciled to a girl-child (even though they wanted a boy), raised that child like a boy. That led me to South China Morning Post article on the "virtual boyfriend trend" -- paying for attention through chats with an anonymous boyfriend -- in China, an indulgence of middle class and wealthy girls who were raised as boys.
    Lifestyle / Entertainment
    They flatter and flirt with single women for money – in China, virtual boyfriends offer intimacy on demand to a career-focused generation
    • China’s one-child policy created a generation of self-confident women who have a home, and financial security, but lead isolating lives and are looking for love
    • Some find it online, where they pay men to reassure, advise, and be intimate with them. ‘This is a new mode of womanhood that is unprecedented,’ academic says
    That led me to information on apps in the west for the same kind of emotional crutch:
    source: Completely Freaky Trend: Virtual Boyfriends I opted for the free boyfriend, who looked as good as the one who would've cost me a hefty $2.99. I entered my name and almost immediately, "Brett" started to text me through the app. "Hi, Anj...," he wrote. (I felt like my invisible boyfriend and I were tight enough that he could use my nickname.) Brett continued, "I hope this isn't weird, but Jemma gave me your number. She's always talking about you at work and I had to know what all the fuss was about. Haha."

Jemma? Apparently this app also came complete with an invisible friend.

I was prompted with auto responses like, "What has Jemma been saying about me?" and "What makes you different from other guys?"

I could see where our conversation was leading—except the app finds a way to make your invisible boyfriend unavailable when you want to make real plans to meet up. He's perpetually busy.
    o_O All so real, isn't it ? When you really want him, he'd no longer be there :tongueout:!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    source: Newyorker, Dec 16, 2019

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Every gen' anguishes about what the media is teaching their media-addicted children.

excerpt from Did Ward Cleaver Get it Right All Along? - Feisty Side of 50

There’s no doubt that TV in the 1950s centered on the dominance of both the male and the pale. Boomers were weaned on situation comedies wherein the children of middle-class white families encountered problems dealing with homework, friendships, or young romance. For support and guidance, they’d turn to their fathers. Donna Reed was the exception. But then, she was married to a doctor who was busy healing the children of the neighborhood… a hero in his own right.

Our generation recognized the inequities fostered by the boob tube and, through years of protest and struggle, challenged and changed many of these social ills. But we seemed to have lost something in the process. In fact, today’s media is spewing a far different message to our grandchildren than we got growing up.

Rather than little life lessons in kindness, telling the truth, and being a good friend, many of today’s messages revolve around backstabbing, fighting, and making sure #1 comes out on top. Granted, shows like the Housewives’ series are aimed towards an adult audience, but it’s almost a certainty that the attitudes and actions celebrated by these and other popular shows trickle down to the youngest members of the household. I, for one, wonder what messages they’re getting.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

No! But I would send her a long text extolling the virtues of said half-tomato. Perhaps a sonnet describing the rich color, incomparable taste and a few closing lines about how it was a panacea for all my ills. :neutral: :p

Rihana and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. Rihana

Isn't it amazing how such kinds are everywhere!

That's key to keep in mind. There are great people out there too. My friend was studying towards a career change, she had her 12 year old son walk to her neighbor's house 3-4 times a week for a semester. At the end of her semester, she gave the other lady a $300 gift card to our local mall. Just gave it. Did not ask her how can I make up.. nothing. Back then $300 was still a biggish amount. I thought it was so classy.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Somethings make one lookup how it all came to mean this or that. Especially during the holiday gift giving season --when sent and re-sent happen a lot.
    Source:resent | Origin and meaning of resent by Online Etymology Dictionary
    resent (v.)
    "take (something) ill; be in some degree angry or provoked at," c. 1600, from French ressentir "feel pain, regret," from Old French resentir "feel again, feel in turn" (13c.), from re-, intensive prefix, + sentir "to feel," from Latin sentire (see sense (n.)). Related: Resented; resenting.​

9. Rihana

I didn't think you were trivializing anyone's issues.

Mistt likes this.
  10. Rihana

The verbatim copying friend thread reminded me of one copying or flattering imitation I used to do long ago. We were regular players in live competitive antaksharis and creation of online song quizzes.

One person was really good at coming up with songs for antakshari starting with the required letter, songs that we knew but had forgotten. I started doing that. Used to actually comb the then nascent songs databases and make lists of songs. For the quizzes, each creator could impart their personal touch to the quiz, and I took quite a few ideas from that person's older quizzes.

========
    The verbatim copy thread and the thread about the unappreciative mom/babysitting remind me of such long ago events suddenly. : ) Will ping a few people from back then thanks to these threads. With YouTube for songs search and our carpool kids driving on their own, maybe we will reconnect in different and better ways.

Sunshine04 and Amulet like this.